Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2008, 06:15 AM   #31
Good Will Riker
Admiral

Re: Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

T'Baio wrote: View Post
A third Batman movie that is "not as good" as The Dark Knight? Wouldn't that still be in the realm of "better than almost anything out there?"
They said the same for Spider-Man 3, and look what happened?
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 06:40 AM   #32
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

theenglish wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
Although, I like the idea of a more intimate movie rather than a huge epic film like TDK which I enjoyed a great deal. I'd like a third film to be something where the drama is more intimate and claustrophobic. Moreover, I'd like to see the detective aspect of Batman take center stage rather than being peripheral to the story. Perhaps a Hard Boiled or Noir Batman movie. A story of detection in which Gordon must enlist, on the sly, Batman to solve a crime of the underworld instead of going directly against a big name villain. Perhaps a gruesome murder which, like in many good Noir/Hard Boiled stories, only leads Batman into a deeper web of deceit and lurid behavior.
I like this idea quite a bit. Perhaps, since he is left to his own devices, Bruce Wayne will be pressed to become that brilliant scientist, psychologist, and detective that Batman is in the comics.
Thanks. The Great Detective is the Batman that I'm most fond of not the grim avenger of the night or the anti-social extremist of the last decade of DC Comics, especially the Miller Bats.
Old October 29 2008, 06:48 AM   #33
nx1701g
Admiral

Supervisor 194 wrote: View Post
Part of the problem, i think, is that TDK gives a terrific thematic ending to Batman. Nolan is wise to be careful.
That's a very good point IMO.
Old October 29 2008, 06:49 AM   #34
Good Will Riker
Admiral

Re: If no Nolan?

Bryan Singer

I really liked his take on the X-Men universe, and would like to see what he can do with a Batman adaptation.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 06:59 AM   #35
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
gaith1 wrote: View Post
I certainly can't think of many particularly good chapter three movies, not even BttF and Jedi; though there were wonderful parts to both of those. (Azkaban doesn't really count, since it's part three of seven.)
I think BttF has a solid and satisfying Third. And, of course, there's always Return of the King.
I wasn't countring RotK as I consider it all one big movie.

You've got a good point regarding threquels and their relationship to third acts, but I disagree that they always need to be third acts, and that those should be the shortest acts.... Remember Shakespeare worked in a five act structure, with the acts being pretty much the same length.
I meant "three-act" as in "beginning, middle, end" rather than modern screenplay three-act guidelines, though I admit I wasn't too clear about that. As for Shakespeare, I gather he only did one trilogy (the Henry VIs), which I have no familiarity with. My point was that trilogies like Pirates and Matrix seem to go for "beginning, middle, middle", instead of finding a quicker, more natural conclusion.

Maybe the smartest approach would not to feel any need to resolve things, but to simply tell another good Batman story in much the same way TDK simply told a good Batman story and didn't worry about advancing any particular plot points or themes of Begins.
That's an interesting suggestion. And in the "beginning, middle, end" scheme, part 3 doesn't have to be the end; indeed, in Harry Potter, 3 is the end of the beginning.

What with TDK's deaths and no chance of a Ledger return (and thus, I assume, no Joker), it doesn't seem as though Nolan has much choice! The worst-case scenario would be for Dent, the Joker, Batman and a new villain or two all running around trying to Jinx each other, with Rachel still debating which guy to go with.

So I guess Nolan could either approach the next movie as another episode in a series with no fixed end, or try to wrap up Bruce's time as Batman to some degree. Regardless, he seems to be on a promising track... besides, since I'd just as soon forget about Begins, I can always pretend the next one is part two.

It's movie four I'm worried about.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 07:09 AM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral

^
Dear God no.

Singer is a terrible director. His action is mediocre and his plotting is awful.

Why does he get so much love?
Old October 29 2008, 07:19 AM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

If not Nolan, then I have to admit I'm not really interested in a 3rd movie. I love what Nolan has done with the first two, and I'd hate to lose that feel.
Old October 29 2008, 10:39 AM   #38
Philo
Commodore

CorporalCreepy wrote: View Post
^
Dear God no.

Singer is a terrible director. His action is mediocre and his plotting is awful.

Why does he get so much love?
Thank you. I wanted to say the same.

My main objection to Singer in this case, though, is that he's too whimsical and adolescent for Batman, especially after Nolan.

I actually really like the suggestion of Fincher. Artistically, I should have a problem with an emulation of Nolan, but I think Fincher is one of the few who would be capable of doing his own eminently stylistic thing yet remain comfortably in tune with the first two films.
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:27 PM   #39
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Good Will Riker wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
A third Batman movie that is "not as good" as The Dark Knight? Wouldn't that still be in the realm of "better than almost anything out there?"
They said the same for Spider-Man 3, and look what happened?
True enough.
However do you think Warners has an Avi Arad counterpart that is going to try and force a character or situation on Nolan like Arad&SONY did to Raimi with Venom?

I'm guessing no.
SONY was stupid to interfere with Raimi after he had made 2 great Spiderman movies and Warnes would be equally if not more stupid to interfere with Nolan. Especially having the Raimi/Arad/Sony situation as an example.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:39 PM   #40
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
With where TDK left off there has to be a third movie. Batman's on the run, we have no batmobile anymore and we haven't seen the new cave.
IIRC, there were two Tumblers.
Old October 29 2008, 04:01 PM   #41
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

middyseaforth said:
Although, I like the idea of a more intimate movie rather than a huge epic film like TDK which I enjoyed a great deal. I'd like a third film to be something where the drama is more intimate and claustrophobic. Moreover, I'd like to see the detective aspect of Batman take center stage rather than being peripheral to the story. Perhaps a Hard Boiled or Noir Batman movie. A story of detection in which Gordon must enlist, on the sly, Batman to solve a crime of the underworld instead of going directly against a big name villain. Perhaps a gruesome murder which, like in many good Noir/Hard Boiled stories, only leads Batman into a deeper web of deceit and lurid behavior.
I also love this idea, and thought it was along the lines of what Nolan might be hinting at in the quote I pulled out of the article. Though I could also see something that went for the more psychological aspects of Batman.

But the noir/ hard-boiled quality of Batman is my favorite, so I'd love to see your suggestion followed!

gaith1 wrote: View Post
I meant "three-act" as in "beginning, middle, end" rather than modern screenplay three-act guidelines, though I admit I wasn't too clear about that. As for Shakespeare, I gather he only did one trilogy (the Henry VIs), which I have no familiarity with. My point was that trilogies like Pirates and Matrix seem to go for "beginning, middle, middle", instead of finding a quicker, more natural conclusion.
I understood that "beginning, middle, end" is what you meant. I was just saying that the trend in contemporary storytelling has tended to be for the beginning to be about 1/6-2/6 of the story, the middle to be 3/6-4/6 of the story and the ending to be 1/6 of the story, which is a length structure dictated by movies, back when movies were 1 2-hour story. That is, I don't think a quicker conclusion is actually more natural. I think it just feels that way to us because we've all been raised on Hollywood movies which tend to start the third act in the last 10-15 minutes of a movie, with lots of climax and little resolution.

It's very possible to tell a story where the beginning, middle and end are the same length - and I think Lord of the Rings is a good example of that. LotR is indeed all one story, but it still has a three act structure. But it deliberately followed the dictates of an older epic structure. Jackson was loyal to that, for the most part, and we ended up with a trilogy where the beginning, middle and end were essentially the same length.

Last edited by Lapis Exilis; October 29 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 05:22 PM   #42
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

What they shouldn't do.

1. Retell Batman's origin
2. Batman take on partners. Look at BLADE TRINITY.
3. Too many villains, Spiderman 3.
4. Nipples on the batsuit
5. Use a lame non-comic book villain, see Superman 3
6. tackle real world issues like nuclear disarmament or terrorism...
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 05:26 PM   #43
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

7. Superman cameo (I know they're both DC, but that wouldn't feel right...)
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 06:11 PM   #44
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

if no Chris Nolan, will that mean no Christian Bale too?

Anybody know if they are both contractually obligated to do a third movie?

But if there is no nolan, and still a bale then i say throw fincher in there or maybe Aranofsky....
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 07:19 PM   #45
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Bale, I believe, is contractually obligated for a third movie.

Aronofsky would be too esoteric. Fincher would be fantastic if he could pull it back to PG-13, which I think he could. Seven mostly suggested its awfulness, rather than spending a lot of time dwelling on gore. And it's one of the best detective movies ever made. Great tone too for Batman.