Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2008, 02:33 AM   #16
Dream
Admiral

Re: Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

Warners will be doing a third Batman movie in the next few years whether Nolan agrees to do it or not. There is too much money at stake.

We can only hope that if the movie goes foward without Nolan that it will at least be half as good as TDK. Also Brett Ratner needs to stay the hell away from this franchise.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:47 AM   #17
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I remember reading in the other threads here that Nolan has three franchises fates resting in his hands.

WB is waiting for Nolan to sign on to Batman 3. Then WB can go ahead with Green Lantern and Superman
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:54 AM   #18
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Somewhere JacksonArcher is having a coronary.
Old October 29 2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I remember reading in the other threads here that Nolan has three franchises fates resting in his hands.

WB is waiting for Nolan to sign on to Batman 3. Then WB can go ahead with Green Lantern and Superman
Which makes absolutely no logical sense.
Old October 29 2008, 03:04 AM   #20
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I agree with everyone who says there will definitely be a 3rd Batman film. However, if Nolan does not feel he can match or top himself, then I would applaud him for sticking to his artistic integrity and walking away having made two of the best comic book films in ages.
Old October 29 2008, 03:50 AM   #21
nx1701g
Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Which makes absolutely no logical sense.
Actually it does. Batman is, at the moment, WB's cashcow franchise. The Dark Knight shattered records and came close to dethrowing Titanic at the Box Office. They want to make sure it's taken care of and if Nolan doesn't sign off they need to find someone else to take over it of his ability. If they don't get Nolan they'll probably spend a lot of time and resources looking for a suitable replacement and then - after finding one - I bet he/she'd have an increased presence from management (which otherwise would have went to Green Lantern or Superman).
Old October 29 2008, 04:05 AM   #22
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I certainly can't think of many particularly good chapter three movies, not even BttF and Jedi; though there were wonderful parts to both of those. (Azkaban doesn't really count, since it's part three of seven.)

I think the crux of the matter is that we inevitably expect trilogies to have a three-act structure. Threequels should really be the third act of one big movie, which is why Return of the King and the Luke vs. Emperor parts of Jedi work so well. And I think a main reason why third movies tend to fail is that third acts should be the shortest acts, and they should have less conflict than the middle. But since half-hour movies aren't possible, directors try to cook up another second act, and we get messes like Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3.

If not a half-hour wrap-up, what should filmmakers aim for? I think taking the series in a whole new direction, a sort of reboot/spinoff/new first film. I thought T3 worked great because it was all about John, who wasn't in T1 and hadn't really developed during the Sarah-centric T2; T3 was sort of a spinoff in that regard. Heck, even to use the Azkaban example, that story really hinged on Sirius, Lupin and Pettigrew, all new characters. (Even disregarding the quality jump, the fact that the whole movie's aesthetic was radically different didn't hurt either.)

So, what should a Batman 3 be like? Different. With TDK's mid-movie death and twist-ish ending, Nolan's already on a promising track. Maybe Bats should have to work with someone as an equal - Catwoman or a Batwoman or something; maybe he should be injured early on and have to play an Alfred-ish part, and have the main focus be on the new person.

But to just re-do TDK with the Penguin or Riddler, I think, is to invite disaster.

Whoops! Forgot the terrific Bourne 3. Since Bourne didn't really develop during Supremacy, or learn anything new about himself (it was really Joan Allen's, and especially Brian Cox's, movie), that threequel did feel like a proper third act. Also, like Luke and Frodo, he had a specific paramount threat to face in a way Nolan's Batman doesn't.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:24 AM   #23
T'Baio
Admiral

[QUOTE=nx1701g;2231129]
Broccoli wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight...came close to dethrowing Titanic at the Box Office.
Actually, it didn't at all. In foreign box office, it's roughly a billion dollars short of Titanic. Titanic is #1, The Dark Knight is 21st. In domestic, it's almost $90 million short. It didn't really come close at all.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 04:58 AM   #24
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

gaith1 wrote: View Post
I certainly can't think of many particularly good chapter three movies, not even BttF and Jedi; though there were wonderful parts to both of those. (Azkaban doesn't really count, since it's part three of seven.)
I think BttF has a solid and satisfying Third. And, of course, there's always Return of the King.

I think the crux of the matter is that we inevitably expect trilogies to have a three-act structure. Threequels should really be the third act of one big movie, which is why Return of the King and the Luke vs. Emperor parts of Jedi work so well. And I think a main reason why third movies tend to fail is that third acts should be the shortest acts, and they should have less conflict than the middle. But since half-hour movies aren't possible, directors try to cook up another second act, and we get messes like Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3.
You've got a good point regarding threquels and their relationship to third acts, but I disagree that they always need to be third acts, and that those should be the shortest acts. That's a relatively recent development of narrative, and it's based largely on the time constraints of a single movie. That is, the structure of movies has bled over into novel and storytelling in general, yet it's a constant complaint of many that endings of modern stories are too quick and don't really resolve everything. Remember Shakespeare worked in a five act structure, with the acts being pretty much the same length. It is possible, and probably beneficial to take some time with a third act rather than following the Hollywood dictate that the final act be the shortest and fastest paced.

If not a half-hour wrap-up, what should filmmakers aim for? I think taking the series in a whole new direction, a sort of reboot/spinoff/new first film. I thought T3 worked great because it was all about John, who wasn't in T1 and hadn't really developed during the Sarah-centric T2; T3 was sort of a spinoff in that regard. Heck, even to use the Azkaban example, that story really hinged on Sirius, Lupin and Pettigrew, all new characters. (Even disregarding the quality jump, the fact that the whole movie's aesthetic was radically different didn't hurt either.)

So, what should a Batman 3 be like? Different. With TDK's mid-movie death and twist-ish ending, Nolan's already on a promising track. Maybe Bats should have to work with someone as an equal - Catwoman or a Batwoman or something; maybe he should be injured early on and have to play an Alfred-ish part, and have the main focus be on the new person.
Different I think is a necessity, and considering the utterly different tones of BBegins and TDK, I'd assume it's a given if Nolan helms a third movie. But I think, following the nature of these particular movies, the different has to be a different direction for Bruce Wayne as a character rather than a focus on a different character altogether. TDK spun off of some very particular points in Begins, especially the idea that Bruce is looking for a way out of being Batman. But it spun off of that very loosely, which I think was a real strength. There was no attempt to make the two movies look and feel like a single story, and that looseness would probably serve Nolan well in a third movie. Meaning, I'm not sure that in this particular trilogy, it's really necessary to see a threquel as a third act, per se. TDK really stands on its own - you don't have to have seen Begins to follow it. Maybe the smartest approach would not to feel any need to resolve things, but to simply tell another good Batman story in much the same way TDK simply told a good Batman story and didn't worry about advancing any particular plot points or themes of Begins.
Old October 29 2008, 05:01 AM   #25
nx1701g
Admiral

^ The point I was trying to make still stands. Right now Batman is WB's cashcow and they want to make sure it's provided for.
Old October 29 2008, 05:24 AM   #26
RobertScorpio
Pariah

If no Nolan?

Then who would be your pick to take his place. We know there will be a third batman movie, with or without Nolan.

My pick? Fincher? I think thats his name. The guy who did Seven and Fight Club...(Yes, Alien 3 too) He also did THE GAME, I think, and I loved that movie though it flopped..

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 05:24 AM   #27
Supervisor 194
Captain

Part of the problem, i think, is that TDK gives a terrific thematic ending to Batman. Nolan is wise to be careful.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 05:27 AM   #28
Supervisor 194
Captain

Re: If no Nolan?

If not Nolan, I'd prefer they go in a completely different direction rather than try to find someone close to Nolan's style. Hmm. I'll have to think about this one.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 05:48 AM   #29
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Although, I like the idea of a more intimate movie rather than a huge epic film like TDK which I enjoyed a great deal. I'd like a third film to be something where the drama is more intimate and claustrophobic. Moreover, I'd like to see the detective aspect of Batman take center stage rather than being peripheral to the story. Perhaps a Hard Boiled or Noir Batman movie. A story of detection in which Gordon must enlist, on the sly, Batman to solve a crime of the underworld instead of going directly against a big name villain. Perhaps a gruesome murder which, like in many good Noir/Hard Boiled stories, only leads Batman into a deeper web of deceit and lurid behavior.
Old October 29 2008, 06:09 AM   #30
theenglish
Rear Admiral

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Although, I like the idea of a more intimate movie rather than a huge epic film like TDK which I enjoyed a great deal. I'd like a third film to be something where the drama is more intimate and claustrophobic. Moreover, I'd like to see the detective aspect of Batman take center stage rather than being peripheral to the story. Perhaps a Hard Boiled or Noir Batman movie. A story of detection in which Gordon must enlist, on the sly, Batman to solve a crime of the underworld instead of going directly against a big name villain. Perhaps a gruesome murder which, like in many good Noir/Hard Boiled stories, only leads Batman into a deeper web of deceit and lurid behavior.
I like this idea quite a bit. Perhaps, since he is left to his own devices, Bruce Wayne will be pressed to become that brilliant scientist, psychologist, and detective that Batman is in the comics.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote