Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 27 2008, 04:30 AM   #16
marknetprod
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to marknetprod Send a message via Yahoo to marknetprod
Re: I have an idea for a Star Trek Novel!

Thank you for your ideas thus far,

I don't know how to take down my e-mail, but, so much junk mail goes to that link, so I'll leave it on here.

I seriously want to write a Trek Novel, if Pocket Books won't buy my idea, I hope some other venue will present itself.

I have other writing projects so I need an Agent no matter what. I am too stubborn to give up on ALL of my writing projects.

Is there ONE Scotty Novel I should read that will give me insight into his character?

I already own TMP DVD and Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.

I won't be using Guardian of Forever as a time travel element, the Gateways as shown in TNG is probably what I'm going to work with. I need to know who came up with it so I can write him/her. It reminds me of the Stargate from that SG-1 show.

Either the 25th or 30th Century would be in the prologue, taking place long after Star Trek X the movie.

I hope I am not copying Star Trek XI the movie, because I'm not going further back like that film has. I always loved the idea of a story taking place on the Enterprise during the 18 month refit after TOS leading up to TMP. It would be great to bring back Will Decker, Ilia, Xon, Rand, Uhura, Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty as the main characters.

I need advice and support from the established Trek Authors as I start constructing the Outline/Proposal.

I been writing for years but I haven't been a success at it, yet. I am determined to have some of my writing succeed however.

I don't care if I don't make millions but it never hurts to try for it!

Any help, advice, etc. is welcome. Please list ideas for me to pursue...

Markus McLaughlin
marknetproductions.wordpress.com
Hudson, MA, USA

Last edited by marknetprod; October 27 2008 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typos
marknetprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 06:29 AM   #17
Mistral
Vice Admiral

TerriO wrote: View Post

As for what Mistral said, discussing whatever about your idea you're comfortable discussing in fanfic is fine. The writers who are still working in the line don't come here. Discussing it in TrekLit, however, is a bad idea.
My only point in saying that was that any idea...modified... by input from amateurs might be susceptible to litigation if the final work was published professionally. Nada mas.

As for the sucking up part-I meant that in good fun-any of the pros seem willing to give advice IF it doesn't involve hearing details of a story.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 10:54 PM   #18
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson

marknetprod wrote: View Post
Is there ONE Scotty Novel I should read that will give me insight into his character?
No, there isn't. I rather wish there was, but most of the novels treat Scotty very inconsistently, characterization-wise and none of them really dive too deep into his backstory. The only two I could venture to say are reasonably done are Kobayashi Maru (47), where he's a puppy cadet, and Vulcan's Glory.

If there were a good, character-driven, well-characterized novel about Mister Scott... I wouldn't have had to write my own.

Good luck on your endeavor!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 01:27 AM   #19
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

As for the sucking up part-I meant that in good fun
As did I.

Hmm....

"Engines of Destiny" featured Scotty, TNG era. I have not read it, so I don't know whether to recommend it or not.

"Crossover" is okay. A good bit of it focuses on TNG-era Scotty.

As far as I know, the SCE series has some tales that feature Scotty.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 03:08 AM   #20
SLWatson
Captain

"Engines of Destiny" featured Scotty, TNG era. I have not read it, so I don't know whether to recommend it or not.

"Crossover" is okay. A good bit of it focuses on TNG-era Scotty.

As far as I know, the SCE series has some tales that feature Scotty.
I've read both.

Engines of Destiny was awful. DeWeese didn't just butcher Scott's characterization, he butchered everyone's. There wasn't one single character in that book that rang true. No wonder it wasn't published for the longest time... I have NO idea why anyone did eventually. It's that bad.

Crossover was meh. It had moments of good insight, but the author never managed to shake off the 'must hit every Scotty-cliche-and-stereotype in x-number of pages' problem. You'd have an insightful moment (ie, that he's kind of guarded, really), then some absolutely moronic cliche. I was more irritated by Crossover because it DID have some potential, and the author DID show some good insight, but sacrificed really using it so that he could appeal to stereotypes that many (though not all) TOS fans accept without question.

Overall, I'll stick that Kobayashi Maru offers an absolutely interesting view of an 18-year-old Scott -- a rather shy, nervous little bundle of energy who's trying to live by someone else's rules until he gets a chance to live by his own. And Vulcan's Glory, just because I love D.C. Fontana and the idea of Scott serving concurrently with Spock for eleven years on Pike's Enterprise.

There were a few good sets that had him characterized well, mind, but none deeply insightful. The Errand of Vengeance series, for one -- he was shown as being competent, and you could see why he was Chief Engineer of the Enterprise; it managed to draw a well-characterized portrait of Scott without diving into cliches.

...and I'm rambling. But hey! There're my thoughts.

Last edited by SLWatson; October 28 2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Fixing code.
Old October 28 2008, 03:13 AM   #21
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but who'd ever buy a Constitution-class starship commanded by an engineer?

It's madness, I tell you... madness!

Old October 28 2008, 03:18 AM   #22
SLWatson
Captain

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Yeah, but who'd ever buy a Constitution-class starship commanded by an engineer?

It's madness, I tell you... madness!

LMAO! I would! At least, THAT engineer.