ST:TOS - General Fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SLWalker, Oct 27, 2008.

1. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

So... hi! I'm new (obviously) to this forum here. Real quickly: My name's Steff, I'm a ficcer and fanartist, and I'm actually pretty friendly most of the time. I figure that a good way to introduce myself is with a story or several: In this case, general Star Trek Original Series stories that don't fit into one of my two main storylines. Feedback is loved, but never required. Hope you enjoy!

--

Title: Not Too Soon
    Series: ST:TOS
    Pairing: Sarek/Amanda
    Timeline: 2232
    Words: 634
    Disclaimer: They all belong to Paramount, not me.
    Notes: This was written for KlingonVulcan on the Omega Sector -- Sarek reflects on how fatherhood didn't quite turn out how research suggested.

--
    Pulled for story control.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  2. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow.

That was funny and touching all at the same time, and in so brief a story to boot!

Very well done, and welcome to the fanfic board! :)

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I agree... wow is right. I generally don't read other fics than my own, but your description grabbed my interest, and I have to say, I REALLY liked this... you captured the tenderness and emotions very well, and I could really "see" that scene playing out, with Sarek and all.

VERY good job... I hope you continue here.

-BolianAdmiral

4. SLWalker

Thank you very much! For both the encouragement and the welcome.

Wow, thanks! I sure hope I can continue to live up to that. I was challenged to write a young Spock, and agonized for three days on how to do it until one of my best friends pointed out that I do have plenty of experience with babies and toddlers. So, this bit was born. Thanks so much for the encouragement -- I chew nails whenever I try to write Spock, though it seems he's the one other people most request that I write for 'em. Always breathe a sigh of relief when I do okay.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

What a powerful, compact little piece you've written here! I LOVE these kinds of "everyday life" stories even in the midst of these fantastical, epic universes--and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in that. :)

One interesting point, though: why did Sarek not think to look in books about raising human infants? Was he just in denial that Spock might have some human characteristics? ;)

6. SLWalker

Oh, Lord, no. I tend to take a real character-eye view with my stuff, and it just thrills me all to little pieces that you liked this and like those kinds of stories. Got any of yours posted? I can never get enough real character-driven stuff.

I don't think it was denial, so much as kind of expecting Amanda to "know" that side of things and handle the human side of it. Logical and sometimes wise as Sarek is, I think he was deep down pulling for Spock to be in his own image and only perhaps came to the conclusion that Spock had to be true to both halves of his heritage much later. I don't think he sees the human blood as anything bad, but has a definite bias on which way he would like his son to go... so, he wanted to concentrate on the Vulcan half, and likely thought Amanda would be better at nurturing the human side.

Does that make sense?

And thanks so much for the comment! It really made me smile.

7. SLWalker

Title: Dad
    Rating: G
    Timeline: 2253
    Words: 655
    Disclaimer: Paramount's, not mine, not for profit.
    Notes: Written for my friend youthculture; Len McCoy reflects as he makes breakfast for his wife and daughter. Way pre-series. Also, very bittersweet. Originally posted here.

--

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I like your style. The Spock story was especially telling-I have a 2 1/2 year old boy at home and, with a name change or two, it could have been my house at 5:30pm. Well done. And Welcome!

9. SLWalker

Thank you so much! I have a one-and-a-half year old son (so you can see where I got the toddler-Spock's characterization) and a three year old daughter. Writing what I know in this case. And thank you for the welcome, too!

10. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the board! I'm a sucker for TOS era stories and I found of your offerings here most enjoyable reads. Those of us who have had experiences with toddlers know fully well what Sarek is going through and the Dr. McCoy piece was very powerful as we know that in the end he'll make the same mistakes his father made.

Very well done vignettes--short and powerful. I hope we see more of you and your stories here.

11. Nerys Ghemor

I like the new story, definitely. :)

I can almost hear "Cat's in the Cradle" playing, as I read the McCoy story--it just has that same emotional feel to it. (Which is quite the fit, considering the time period of TOS and McCoy's own old-fashionedness.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YblA8gw2Lw&feature=related

12. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

The adage, "good things come in small packages," certainly rings true with these two short-stories. I enjoyed both of them - Spock as a typical, energetic toddler challenging Sarek's carefully planned, logical child-rearing plans was priceless! But I really connected with the poignant scene of McCoy fixing breakfast for his family in the early morning hours. It was all the more bitter-sweet, knowing how things would eventually turn out for this family and how his life would forever change.

Very, very well done!

13. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your McCoy story is equally well done. A brief snippet of the man’s day seen through the prism of what will be, and made all the more tragic for it.

I’ve been there myself, watching my children grow and wondering when I’ll have time to slow down and enjoy the moment. Never enough time, and once it’s gone... it’s gone.

Very nice, thank you. :)

14. SLWalker

Heya! Thanks for the comment! And yeah, when I wrote 'Not Too Soon', I was really glad to be able to write a story other parents or folks who are around babies would just GET. As for the McCoy story... I'm not one-hundred percent thrilled with it, with the style I used to write it, but I'm thoroughly glad you liked it. It was more'n a little bittersweet to write, and more bitter than sweet. Thank you again for the comment!

Yah. I've never been very happy with that one, but I'm glad I got the point across with it. Thank you for the comment, too! :hugegrin:

I'm gonna have to read that. I don't (rather guiltily) know a whole lot about Cardassians, but anything that shows the more small, life-and-mind-shaping stuff is great with me.

Yah. My hubby and I do, and we're both HUMAN parents. ::laughs:: So, I figured it'd be even more prominant there, though perhaps not to the point where it's a big problem. At least until Spock reaches the age where he has to commit more to one or the other path.

I think so, too. Still, I ultimately think he was a good man; flawed, but with genuine intentions.

Thank you much! The Spock story gave me fits for days until I decided to write what I know -- babies! McCoy's tale, both in canon and then explored some in the novels, has always struck me, too. He was so utterly human, and the notion that a bad breakup sent him into Starfleet makes him all the more poignant. I'd venture to say that he's my second favorite character to write, from the canon cast. Thanks again! You guys are just amazingly encouraging!

15. SLWalker

You and I both -- I'm lucky in a lot of ways, that my kids are still very young and I'm a stay-at-home-mother, but even I get those awful moments where I realize they'll never be little itty babies again, and that one day they're gonna go out into a big world. Really slams home the dual-nature of parenting -- the joys and the heartbreaks that live hand-in-hand.

Thanks so much for the comment!

16. Nerys Ghemor

I can't really see what would've bothered you about it...to me it comes off great. :)

That's OK...for this one, you really only need two episodes: "Second Skin" and "Ties of Blood and Water". Even if you read the synopses at M-A, it's my personal opinion that even if you know what's coming, if you've never seen those two episodes it'll still hit you HARD to see it for the first time. By the time I was able to see "Ties," I did know, and it still was incredibly powerful.

In "A Weaver of Lives," you definitely get "bigger" events from those episodes, but you also get to see how behind the scenes, Ghemor affected the people around him, and how those people remember him after he's gone.

I don't doubt his good intentions either. I just think he had some lingering Vulcan-centrism that maybe he didn't want to fess up to. (I know, odd considering what species he married, twice, but still.)

17. SLWalker

I don't think I've seen either of them... do I have to in order to be able to read?

18. Nerys Ghemor

Reading synopses should be enough to make the story make sense--though personally, I think you should definitely take time to watch them both whenever you get the chance, and then re-read afterwards. :)

19. SLWalker

::laughs:: The 'when I get a chance' is the rub. But I'll take a look for the summaries and see what's up.

20. SLWalker

Title: Here to Learn
    Characters: Pike, Spock
    Rating: G
    Words: 724
    Disclaimer: They are all Paramount's, not mine.
    Notes: As Spock is on the bridge, listening to Pike being a mentor, he reflects some himself. A parallel tale to the Arc of the Wolf story, Tactics.

--