Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"
Excellent 98 77.78%
Above Average 15 11.90%
Average 10 7.94%
Below Average 1 0.79%
Poor 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27 2008, 01:27 AM   #16
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

Crap! This is out already?!

Oh, fair warning if you want to stay spoiler-free for Lost Souls, Trekweb has an excerpt posted that spoils one of the cliffhangers.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 01:46 AM   #17
wizkid
Lieutenant Commander

Chris McCarver wrote: View Post
Crap! This is out already?!

Oh, fair warning if you want to stay spoiler-free for Lost Souls, Trekweb has an excerpt posted that spoils one of the cliffhangers.
Waiting for the Kindle version. gON came out very quick via Kindle, this one has eluded me so far. I may not be able to wait as I finished gON last night. Great book. DMack is my new favorite Trek author.
wizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 02:09 AM   #18
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

bennyrex wrote: View Post
And the politics!!! After book 1, I was thinkin "Well, that was a nice Bacco cameo. Too bad there wasn't more meat to it." Well, here was the meat. And seasoned to perfection. The Cardassian ambassador came as a complete shock to me. What a delightful surprise that was. Watching the political ballet unfold was a real treat.
It will surprise no one to learn that my favorite part of Mere Mortals was President Bacco's work to assemble the Azure Nebula expedition.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 03:04 AM   #19
bennyrex
Lieutenant

^^ Good to hear, KRAD. As I was reading it, I was wondering what you thought of that scene.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 03:26 AM   #20
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Chris McCarver wrote: View Post
Yes, I read the excerpt on Trekmovie, but the spoiler just left me wanting more.

This is going to be a long month!!!!
Old October 27 2008, 04:21 AM   #21
Cobalt Frost
Captain

Location: seduced by The Coolness in Phineas & Ferb's backyard

CanNOT wait for the last part!!! This is some of the best Trek fic I've read... just REEEEAAALLLYY hoping the payoff is equal to the setup...
Old October 27 2008, 04:33 AM   #22
casey
Lieutenant Commander

One more thing that I forgot to add to my mini review is how I felt about the Borg invasion. It was absolutely chilling. 7,000 cubes! This is what I have been waiting for forever.

Mere Mortals
also had me thinking alot about the possibility of a connection between the Caeliar and the Borg, considering the obvious similarities to the gestalt.

I could reasonably see one of the cities ending up in Delta quadrant a few thousand years in the past and somehow evolving into the Borg. I think this have been foreshadowed a bit when we came across the remnants of a massive destruction of the Borg at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone else think this might be a possibility??
Old October 27 2008, 05:13 AM   #23
nx1701g
Admiral

Found two typos in the sample of book three.

Still one of the best damn stories I've ever read.
Old October 27 2008, 06:01 AM   #24
Strider
Fleet Captain

What a cool book. I caught the references to the starships Saladin and T'Kumbra toward the end there. Guess it's probably curtains for Captain Solok and the Logicians. I'm also really liking this Captain Dax all the sudden. With everything going to hell, she basically told Picard that she was going to head straight into the worst of it and go after the Borg Queen and he can try and keep up. Pretty badass.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 06:37 AM   #25
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

bennyrex wrote: View Post
^^ Good to hear, KRAD. As I was reading it, I was wondering what you thought of that scene.
Well, Dave showed me all three novels before turning them in (as well as other folks), and in my case he particularly wanted my feedback on the Bacco stuff. He almost needn't have bothered -- I think I made all of three suggested changes to the Bacco-related material in the whole trilogy, all minor.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 03:07 PM   #26
JD
Admiral

casey wrote: View Post
One more thing that I forgot to add to my mini review is how I felt about the Borg invasion. It was absolutely chilling. 7,000 cubes! This is what I have been waiting for forever.

Mere Mortals also had me thinking alot about the possibility of a connection between the Caeliar and the Borg, considering the obvious similarities to the gestalt.

I could reasonably see one of the cities ending up in Delta quadrant a few thousand years in the past and somehow evolving into the Borg. I think this have been foreshadowed a bit when we came across the remnants of a massive destruction of the Borg at the end of the tunnel.

I've been wondering if we might learn about the origin of the Borg in Destiny since I finished Greater Than The Sum. The only reason I've been thinking that is that it's really the only big Borg question left at this point. And if these books do destroy the Borg, which is my other big theory about Destiny, then now would be the best time to do it.
Old October 27 2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Found two typos in the sample of book three.

Still one of the best damn stories I've ever read.
Ah well, while we're at Typos in the Destiny books: I haven't even started GoN yet, but in the quote in front of the story by Bertolt Brecht "Krieg" should be written with a capital K. Although I'm not sure if it's really a typo or if it is written that way in the text David has, since I edited the same typo in the interview I had with him.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

That's been my theory since reading the end of Gods of Night. I look at it this way: we know that three Caeliar cities escaped the destruction of Erigol. Axion went on to found New Erigol. One of the others was the far distant civilization that caused the cataclysm in the first place. That leaves one unaccounted for. Either of the latter two could eventually have become the Borg.

It's interesting to me that we haven't heard anything more about Mantilis, the city where only the six humans and twelve Caeliar survived. They ended up an unspecified distance into the past and about 60,000 light years from Erigol/the Azure Nebula- roughly the right distance, if my general understanding of the galactic map is correct, to be somewhere in eventual Borg territory. Think of it: only 18 survivors, and when last we see them they're about to crash into a planet. Just the kind of desperate circumstances that could lead to military modification of the gestalt, via MACO ideology, say? And then there's Kiona Thayer, the injured human woman. Given that the Caeliar don't look particularly human, it's interesting that the Borg queen does. If her injuries were bad enough, Thayer might need to be crudely introduced into the gestalt... and then...

Well, I look forward to being proved wrong in a few weeks. Anyway, the back cover of Lost Souls says "But for those who, millennia ago, had no choice...this is the hour of their final, inescapable destiny." Which would suggest that we will be getting the alpha and omega of the Borg. Epic indeed.
Old October 27 2008, 05:51 PM   #29
mcmac
Vice Admiral

Of all the things we have to talk about - we're grousing about typos?

Brendan Moody - I had forgotten about the other city. Interesting and plausible theory.

I just finished reading the novel and it's left me speechless. Really excellent work.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." - Col. Willard D. Vandiver
mcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2008, 06:32 PM   #30
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
That's been my theory since reading the end of Gods of Night. I look at it this way: we know that three Caeliar cities escaped the destruction of Erigol. Axion went on to found New Erigol. One of the others was the far distant civilization that caused the cataclysm in the first place. That leaves one unaccounted for. Either of the latter two could eventually have become the Borg.

It's interesting to me that we haven't heard anything more about Mantilis, the city where only the six humans and twelve Caeliar survived. They ended up an unspecified distance into the past and about 60,000 light years from Erigol/the Azure Nebula- roughly the right distance, if my general understanding of the galactic map is correct, to be somewhere in eventual Borg territory. Think of it: only 18 survivors, and when last we see them they're about to crash into a planet. Just the kind of desperate circumstances that could lead to military modification of the gestalt, via MACO ideology, say? And then there's Kiona Thayer, the injured human woman. Given that the Caeliar don't look particularly human, it's interesting that the Borg queen does. If her injuries were bad enough, Thayer might need to be crudely introduced into the gestalt... and then....
I hadn't thought about the Borg Queen angle, but everything else is what I've been thinking since the end of Gods of Night. Like you said, when they said the distance, I did a mental note, thought "that was oddly specific," and then thought "ooh, what if this *is* the origin of the Borg..." They could be the "Lost Souls" the final book is referring to.