RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,577
Posts: 5,403,057
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 467
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 25 2008, 03:21 AM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Halloween scifi

Halloween is just a week off...My daughter and I are going to watch the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. But we also might watch EVENT HORIZON...

What are some of the better scary 'scifi' movies out there? My short list..

Event Horizon
Alien and Aliens

what are some you can think of???

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Halloween scifi

Sunshine? Of course, the horror stuff completely derails what the movie was trying to do.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Dar70
Rear Admiral
 
Dar70's Avatar
 
Location: Dar70
Re: Halloween scifi

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Halloween is just a week off...My daughter and I are going to watch the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. But we also might watch EVENT HORIZON...

What are some of the better scary 'scifi' movies out there? My short list..

Event Horizon
Alien and Aliens

what are some you can think of???

Rob
Scorpio

Turner Classic movies is going to be showing 48 hours of horror on the 30 and 31st. Some good stuff and all uncut.Who needs dvds when you have TCM. Heres a list. They are all classics. TCM has a good mix this year. Many they showed last year and many they didnt. Many that are rarely shown on tv. Your daughter may find some boring but Im sure theres plenty you will like. Blood Feast and the Original Two Thosand Maniacs are sure to be crowd pleasers. Ive never seen them but hear they are gory. Set your DVR if you have one.
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=208674

Mad Love (1935)
Beast With Five Fingers, The (1946)
I Walked With A Zombie (1943)
Curse of the Demon (1958)
Gorgon, The (1964)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
Tomb Of Ligeia, The (1964)
Tingler, The (1959)
House Of Usher (1960)
Dead of Night (1945)
Torture Garden (1967)
Twice-Told Tales (1963)
Kwaidan (1964)
Spirits of the Dead (1969)

31 Friday
Festival of Shorts #11 (1998)
Cat People (1942)
Freaks (1932)
Devil Doll, The (1936)
Mark Of The Vampire (1935)
Devil Bat, The (1940)
White Zombie (1932)
Body Snatcher, The (1945)
Bedlam (1946)
Ghoul, The (1933)
Haunted Palace, The (1963)
Die, Monster, Die ! (1965)
Shuttered Room, The (1966)
Dunwich Horror, The (1970)
Blood Feast (1963)
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Halloween scifi

Awesome. I'm glad I've got Tivo!
__________________
Currently Reading: The Abominable by Dan Simmons
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 06:11 AM   #5
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Halloween scifi

Dar70 wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Halloween is just a week off...My daughter and I are going to watch the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. But we also might watch EVENT HORIZON...

What are some of the better scary 'scifi' movies out there? My short list..

Event Horizon
Alien and Aliens

what are some you can think of???

Rob
Scorpio

Turner Classic movies is going to be showing 48 hours of horror on the 30 and 31st. Some good stuff and all uncut.Who needs dvds when you have TCM. Heres a list. They are all classics. TCM has a good mix this year. Many they showed last year and many they didnt. Many that are rarely shown on tv. Your daughter may find some boring but Im sure theres plenty you will like. Blood Feast and the Original Two Thosand Maniacs are sure to be crowd pleasers. Ive never seen them but hear they are gory. Set your DVR if you have one.
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=208674

Mad Love (1935)
Beast With Five Fingers, The (1946)
I Walked With A Zombie (1943)
Curse of the Demon (1958)
Gorgon, The (1964)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
Tomb Of Ligeia, The (1964)
Tingler, The (1959)
House Of Usher (1960)
Dead of Night (1945)
Torture Garden (1967)
Twice-Told Tales (1963)
Kwaidan (1964)
Spirits of the Dead (1969)

31 Friday
Festival of Shorts #11 (1998)
Cat People (1942)
Freaks (1932)
Devil Doll, The (1936)
Mark Of The Vampire (1935)
Devil Bat, The (1940)
White Zombie (1932)
Body Snatcher, The (1945)
Bedlam (1946)
Ghoul, The (1933)
Haunted Palace, The (1963)
Die, Monster, Die ! (1965)
Shuttered Room, The (1966)
Dunwich Horror, The (1970)
Blood Feast (1963)
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)
Hey..thanks for that TIP..i would have never known...some of them i do remember, some I have never seen...good thing I have TWO dvrs..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral
 
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh's Avatar
 
Location: Pingfah
Re: Halloween scifi

Definitely not Hellraiser: Bloodline or Jason X.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 05:41 PM   #7
dougkeenan
Commander
 
dougkeenan's Avatar
 
Location: Indianapolis
View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile
Re: Halloween scifi

Carpenter's "The Thing" - scariest SF movie ever
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral
 
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh's Avatar
 
Location: Pingfah
Re: Halloween scifi

^ And just one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Halloween scifi

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Preferably the original, although the 70's remake is good, too.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Dar70
Rear Admiral
 
Dar70's Avatar
 
Location: Dar70
Re: Halloween scifi

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

Hey..thanks for that TIP..i would have never known...some of them i do remember, some I have never seen...good thing I have TWO dvrs..

Rob
No problem.The ones on Halloween night are especially fun to watch. Robert Osbourne hosts the night films and I usually am watching TCM when Im passing out candy.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 12:30 AM   #11
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: Halloween scifi

Does "Dead Space" count? It's a horror sci-fi game.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Turd Ferguson
Commodore
 
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Halloween scifi

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Jeff Goldblum)
The Invasion (Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman)
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
Pumpkinhead
__________________
"Divine intervention is unlikely." - The Doctor
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Halloween scifi

And how could I forget . . .

"Village of the Damned" (the original, not the remake)

"Five Million Years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit")
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 05:08 PM   #14
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole
 
Location: An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
Re: Halloween scifi

Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce was the only film that actually managed to scare me at the theater (and at fourteen I should have known better).

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral
 
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh's Avatar
 
Location: Pingfah
Re: Halloween scifi

I love that film

Scary though, it is not.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
halloween, horror

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.