Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 24 2008, 02:44 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

And Takei Fires Back!

George Takei responds to William Shatner's attack in which Shatner called him "sick" and claimed that he had a "psychosis."

As reported by gaywired.com, Takei is quite capable of tossing the insults back at his former co-worker. "Bill likes to be the star of the show," said Takei. "He likes the attention focused on him. It's a big, shiny, demanding ego. It's all typical of Bill. His ranting and raving is just silliness."

And Shatner had been invited to the wedding, with Takei saying so publicly prior to the ceremony, says Damon Romine of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). "In June, when George Takei and Brad Altman received their license to marry, there was media speculation that Mr. Shatner would not be invited to the wedding, yet invitations had not been sent out at that time," explained Romine. "On July 21, after the invitations had been mailed, Mr. Takei and Mr. Altman were interviewed on TV Guide Channel's 'Watercooler' program and Mr. Takei first broke the 'exclusive' news: 'Most of the invitations have been sent out, and Bill is amongst them.'

In spite of the recent unpleasantness, Takei hopes that Shatner will put aside his grievances with Takei and support gay marriage rights in California. "It is our hope that at this point he joins us in voting 'no' on Proposition 8, which seeks to eliminate the fundamental right for same-sex couples to marry in California," Takei said.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old October 24 2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: And Takei Fires Back!

Hmmm. In the early 1990s, when TNG was a big deal and threatening to make TOS irrelevant (yes, there was such a time--I lived through it and it was horrifying), the TOS actors seized some spotlight by making their hatred of Shatner known on a wide-sclae, much wider than just the conventions. Even Majel Barrett joined in. Now that Abrams has his new Star Trek coming out with only Nimoy from the original group, I have to wonder if Shatner and Takei are just sniping at each other for the attention.
Old October 24 2008, 03:47 AM   #3
ancient
Vice Admiral

Ok, there is only one way to settle this now.

wet noodle fight.

Seriously though, Shat had a point. This wedding buisiness isn't even the real problem. Shat just got tired of the constant bashing after all these years, I'm guessing. I mean, it's been how long since they were co-workers?
Old October 24 2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Aside from that poor excuse of a roast on Comedy Central a while back, they really haven't worked together since ST V; all of Sulu's scenes in ST VI were on the Excelsior.

And as Shatner pointed out more than once, they really didn't work together all that much during TOS. Sulu was in only half of the episodes, maybe less, and the vast majority of that consisted of bridge scenes, which means only a couple of days' work, as opposed to the six days a week, every week, that Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley had to go through.

George is lucky Bill even remembers his name.
Old October 24 2008, 04:01 AM   #5
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Senior-Citizen Celebrity Death Match!!!
Old October 24 2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

What Takei has a response? What a surprise, he's usually so media shy in these matters.
Old October 24 2008, 01:02 PM   #7
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Surely not.

Are you kidding?

Old October 24 2008, 02:24 PM   #8
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Hey George, get over yourself. Bill was the star of the show, you were just a supporting character. Stop being a primamadonna and get a life.

Last edited by exodus; October 24 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old October 24 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
It's a big, shiny, demanding ego. It's all typical of Bill. His ranting and raving is just silliness.
Does Takei even realize he's the pot to Shatner's kettle? Yeah, Bill's the one with the biggest ego here.

Could you imagine the actor who had tenth billing on Forrest Gump complaining that the movie spent too much time focused on Tom Hanks' Forrest Gump character?
Old October 25 2008, 09:25 PM   #10
opali
Captain

ancient wrote: View Post
Ok, there is only one way to settle this now.

wet noodle fight.

Or a good old fashioned Thumb War. I'll bet Bill would take him.

I think it is interesting how George used the interview to talk about Prop 8 and hoping they could "put aside their grievances" and work together. Has Bill said anything for or against this? Why would George even bring it up?
Old October 25 2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Can't read these stories without humming the TOS battle theme.

Dun dundun DUUUUN. Dun dundun DUUUUUN.
Old October 26 2008, 02:22 AM   #12
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

Dow Jones wrote: View Post

LOL! I have an image in my head of Jim Carrey trying to kill Matthew Broderick........
Old October 26 2008, 05:01 AM   #13
TheLonelySquire
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
<font color=yellow>George Takei</font> responds to <font color=yellow>William Shatner's</font> attack in which Shatner called him "sick" and claimed that he had a "psychosis." <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.gaywired.com">gaywired.com</A>, Takei is quite capable of tossing the insults back at his former co-worker. "Bill likes to be the star of the show," said Takei. "He likes the attention focused on him. It's a big, shiny, demanding ego. It's all typical of Bill. His ranting and raving is just silliness."<p>And Shatner had been invited to the wedding, with Takei saying so publicly prior to the ceremony, says <font color=yellow>Damon Romine</font> of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). "In June, when George Takei and Brad Altman received their license to marry, there was media speculation that Mr. Shatner would not be invited to the wedding, yet invitations had not been sent out at that time," explained Romine. "On July 21, after the invitations had been mailed, Mr. Takei and Mr. Altman were interviewed on TV Guide Channel's 'Watercooler' program and Mr. Takei first broke the 'exclusive' news: 'Most of the invitations have been sent out, and Bill is amongst them.'<p>In spite of the recent unpleasantness, Takei hopes that Shatner will put aside his grievances with Takei and support gay marriage rights in California. "It is our hope that at this point he joins us in voting 'no' on Proposition 8, which seeks to eliminate the fundamental right for same-sex couples to marry in California," Takei said.<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.gaywired.com/Article.cfm?Section=66&ID=20679">here</A>.<center></center>
George is a perfect fit for Sulu, but he's such a weirdo. Get over it already. It's 40 years ago!

**and don't expect Shat to show up for your latest invite either.....
Old October 26 2008, 05:22 AM   #14
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Dow Jones wrote: View Post

And now, I can't either
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?