RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,145
Posts: 5,434,209
Members: 24,934
Currently online: 546
Newest member: davidhan

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old October 21 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Darth_Daver
Captain
 
Darth_Daver's Avatar
 
How could they evac Pegasus?

When Lee orders Abandon ship and head to evac raptors we see 4 maybe 5 raptors jump away. let's say the pegasus had all of it's 20 something raptor ready for the evac, still. Based on the miniseries, not much more than 10 people can fit to one raptor. So that's ~200 people at most. The Pegasus is undermanned, but it's still should have at least a skeleton crew (25%? 600 people?) what happened to those who didn't reserve a place for themselves on the evac raptors?
Darth_Daver is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Tyson
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Canada
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

They had like 5 dudes on the ship when they jumped back and everything else was on automatic. The ship probably couldn't operate like that continuously but I don't think Fat Lee planned on having Pegasus that long.
Tyson is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
solariabsg25
Captain
 
solariabsg25's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, UK
View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

My guess is Lee would have left behind as many crew as possible, leaving even less than a skeleton crew aboard.

As he left all the Vipers behind, they didn't need many deckhands other than the minimum to launch the raptors, perhaps not even that if raptors could operate the deck elevators remotely. The weapons as shown in Razor are all designed to be fired from the CIC, unless damaged and requiring manual targeting, so he could risk leaving gun crews behind too.

Then the engineering crew, though also from Razor with the networking it's possible at a pinch that engineering could also be handled from the CIC. Add to that possibly a minimum of combat-medics to handle battle casualties.

Pegasus would probably have not been able to fight a prolonged battle under those circumstances, but would be able to accomplish her mission - distract the Cylons to allow the Galactica and the civvies to escape.

I do however disagree with Admiral Adama's statement - I think Lee knew that the risks to the Pegasus were tremendous, so planned for her not to return, but still hoped that she could have pulled through. Though not mentioned on-screen, I suspect Pegasus's FTL was damaged (seems that the FTL is a prime target for both Cylons and Colonials), and once that happened, without a full engineering crew to attempt repairs, all Lee could do was cause as much damage he could for as long as possible before finally abandoning ship.
__________________
"A perfect organism, unclouded by remorse, or human illusions of morality." - Ash, Alien
solariabsg25 is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

^Wasn't Galactica's FLT also damaged during the battle of New Caprica before Pegasus came?

Getting their superior military ship destroyed while badly damaging their only remaining military ship (to the point where I believe Tigh or Helo said it would take weeks in dry dock to fix the scarring to the hull) was a pretty bad tactic, but I guess it got the job done. It's a good thing they have an allied basestar now.

Even undercrewed and with a badly damaged Galactica I would think they would be able to hold off 4 (3 really after the Pegasus destroys one in its surprise attack) Basestars, especially with Pegasus' fighter support. After all, Pegasus was able to survive a surprise nuclear attack by 3 basestars in season 2.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 06:33 AM   #5
philbob
Commander
 
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

The Galactica for the first time in the show is actually near full crew strength after absorbing the Pegasus crew.
philbob is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 06:40 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

I had always assumed that the Pegasus - as well as Galactica because of the settlement and mass retirements - was operating with a skeleton crew. They said in an episode (I think it was Pegasus' Extended Cut) that the ship could function with only a few people aboard as needed. It would also explain why Pegasus was so easily destroyed.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

philbob wrote: View Post
The Galactica for the first time in the show is actually near full crew strength after absorbing the Pegasus crew.
Yeah that's why it bothered me when they did an episode where the deck crew is very overworked, I would think that if anything they had too many people after getting the Pegasus crew.

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I had always assumed that the Pegasus - as well as Galactica because of the settlement and mass retirements - was operating with a skeleton crew. They said in an episode (I think it was Pegasus' Extended Cut) that the ship could function with only a few people aboard as needed. It would also explain why Pegasus was so easily destroyed.
Well Lee evacuated most of his people (along with his Vipers/most of his Raptors and imagine as many supplies as he could) to the remaining civilian fleet before returning to New Caprica. Only a few Raptors left the Pegasus before it was destroyed, but I imagine his full crew even after a year at New Caprica was at least a few hundred (with Battlestar Wiki putting the normal crew size at about 1,700).

If he had brough his full crew I bet they could of done damage control and saved the Pegasus, though he was playing it safe because he didn't know how many Basestars the Cylons brought in to help. If it had been 6 or 8 instead of 4 both Battlestars really would of been screwed, especially since Galactica's Vipers were helping defend the civilians.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline  
Old October 22 2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

Pegasus might have already been as undermanned as Galactica was after a year of doing nothing but orbiting New Caprica.

Let's face it, if Lee had gone in with Pegasus at the sort of strength it's capable of, they might have done a lot better. He would have been able to put fighters in the air for a start.
Hermiod is offline  
Old October 23 2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Candlefright
Admiral
 
Candlefright's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Even undercrewed and with a badly damaged Galactica I would think they would be able to hold off 4 (3 really after the Pegasus destroys one in its surprise attack) Basestars.
Everyone always gets this wrong - Pegasus didn't destroy the basestar when it first arrived.

In a later scene on Pegasus' dradis you can still clearly see four Basestars in combat.

There IS a CGI error in that the shot where Pegasus comes roaring in to the rescue there are only 3 basestars visible, yet we are supposed to believe that all four are fairly close to each other.
Candlefright is offline  
Old October 23 2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

The Bill Gates of Hell wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Even undercrewed and with a badly damaged Galactica I would think they would be able to hold off 4 (3 really after the Pegasus destroys one in its surprise attack) Basestars.
Everyone always gets this wrong - Pegasus didn't destroy the basestar when it first arrived.

In a later scene on Pegasus' dradis you can still clearly see four Basestars in combat.

There IS a CGI error in that the shot where Pegasus comes roaring in to the rescue there are only 3 basestars visible, yet we are supposed to believe that all four are fairly close to each other.
Maybe the CGI error is the Dradis? Do they ever show four basestars after the Pegasus reapears? Of course sometimes the CGI people do go a little overboard with destruction, so I suppose it is possible.

Even if it wasn't destroyed it was most likely badly damaged by the Pegasus' forward guns, and had to hang back during the battle to avoid destruction.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline  
Old October 24 2008, 12:44 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

The only thing that bothered me about the Pegasus evacuation is how the hell did the Fat Man (Lee) move his fat ass from CIC to the hangar deck fast enough?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old October 24 2008, 12:51 AM   #12
ialfan
Fleet Captain
 
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

I prefer to think that Galactica completely destroyed one of the baestars before Pegasus arrived.
ialfan is offline  
Old October 24 2008, 12:55 AM   #13
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
philbob wrote: View Post
The Galactica for the first time in the show is actually near full crew strength after absorbing the Pegasus crew.
Yeah that's why it bothered me when they did an episode where the deck crew is very overworked, I would think that if anything they had too many people after getting the Pegasus crew.
The problem is neither Galactica nor Pegasus were anywhere near close to full strength during the battle of New Caprica. Both operating with a third...a quarter of their crew? I think it's established in dialogue, or in a deleted scene (David cgc would know better than I).

So, even when the crews were combined, they weren't at full strength. Yes, no doubt they picked up people from New Caprica, but something like 10,000 were lost there (IIRC), no doubt a number of them former military people. Add to that the Circle's rampant executions (i.e. Jammer) in "Collaborators" and you've got a recipe for too little manpower.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline  
Old October 24 2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The only thing that bothered me about the Pegasus evacuation is how the hell did the Fat Man (Lee) move his fat ass from CIC to the hangar deck fast enough?

He was the last one to leave the CIC, I'm surprised they waited for him.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
philbob wrote: View Post
The Galactica for the first time in the show is actually near full crew strength after absorbing the Pegasus crew.
Yeah that's why it bothered me when they did an episode where the deck crew is very overworked, I would think that if anything they had too many people after getting the Pegasus crew.
The problem is neither Galactica nor Pegasus were anywhere near close to full strength during the battle of New Caprica. Both operating with a third...a quarter of their crew? I think it's established in dialogue, or in a deleted scene (David cgc would know better than I).

So, even when the crews were combined, they weren't at full strength. Yes, no doubt they picked up people from New Caprica, but something like 10,000 were lost there (IIRC), no doubt a number of them former military people. Add to that the Circle's rampant executions (i.e. Jammer) in "Collaborators" and you've got a recipe for too little manpower.
Battlestar Wiki gives us a decent idea of the crew size of the Galactica and Pegasus, though after New Caprica it's pretty much impossible to know the crew size.

With a Galactica crew of 2,600 and a Pegasus crew of 1,700 even if several hundred military personal were killed on New Caprica they still should have 2500-3000, which I would think is enough to run the Galactica.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline  
Old October 24 2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

gotta assume they gutted Pegasus right down to the superstructure before taking it into battle. Absolute minimum crew, no supplies, no vipers, only the raptors needed for evac. Why they trashed Pegasus but kept Galactica only makes sense in the context of the name of the show, bad military decision.

Also, doesn't make much sense that Galactica is THAT hurting for people afterwards. She's now got 2 crew complements. Even if you assume that a good chunk died or was left behind on NC, there was still enough to operate it, plus more Viper pilots than Galactica had. Also their full set of grease monkeys, of which Galactica seems to be in very short supply of shortly after the 2nd exodus. They double up, and still seem to have less than they started with...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
evac, exodus, pegasus, raptor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.