Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old October 23 2008, 12:29 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Shatner Calls Takei 'Sick'

William Shatner fires the latest salvo in the "Shatner-Takei" war with a scathing video attacking his former co-worker.

As reported by The Shatner Project, Shatner has finally spoken up about George Takei's earlier public announcement prior to Takei's wedding in which he said that Shatner had not been invited.

"The whole thing makes me feel badly, poor man," said Shatner. "There is such a sickness there. It's so patently obvious that there is a psychosis there. I don't know what his original thing about me was. I have no idea. I didn't read his book that was printed many years ago, but apparently I didn't let somebody have a close-up. I literally don't know him. I didn't know him very well on the series. He would come in for a day or two, as evidenced by the part he played. Then on the movies, there occasionally. I didn't know the man.

"But he has continued to speak badly about me for all these years," said Shatner. "Obviously, hiding his homosexuality, talk about festering, and not living the truth of your life and feeling badly about yourself, and being fearful somebody would find out about this terrible, terrible secret, so he thought. Finally at the age of, I think, seventy, he decides to come out of the closet and say, 'I'm gay'. Like, who cares? Be gay. Don't be gay. That's up to you George."

Shatner was puzzled as to why Takei continues to attacks him. "Why would he go out of his way to denigrate me," he asked. "It's sad that the man can't find enough peace in his life to either say 'Be positive' and say 'I forgive him, whatever those hurts were', or to shut up about it. It's sad. I feel nothing but pity for him."

To see the video, head to the link located here.

Old October 23 2008, 12:53 AM   #2
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Shatner Calls Takei 'Sick'

I don't understand why anyone would harbor such strong negative feelings for a co-worker for so many years after the fact. Except for the feature films, the actors worked together for three years. How bad could it have possibly been?
Old October 23 2008, 01:12 AM   #3
ArthurKing
Ensign

Split personality on this one:

The a$$hole in me wants to write () that this all must have been the product of Big Daddy Shat spurning a rakish young Sulu back in the TOS 1960s ('Um, Bill, I think have some trouble with my own 'tribbles' -- can you take a look?'

The un-pc part of me wants to write that, quite frankly, it was a little lame for Takei to come out of the closet so late in the game. Seriously, grow a pair: I can see someone being quiet about it back when, but not in the last few decades. 'Coming out' in the early 21st century at 70+ years of age smacked of attention seeking behavior (something Shatner is also clearly prone to). It also speaks to the possibility of Takei having some larger issues, which might be manifesting here - seriously, although Shatner is going to get pummeled for these comments, staying in the closet for 70 years is going to screw you up.

The mature part of me wants to write that I completely agree with the poster above me: these are both old men who have had long and relatively successful careers and, like it or not, have a fair share of common memories and experiences, if only through the fact that they've worked together for years (despite Shatner's attempt to downplay 'a few movies'). It's ridiculous for them to be holding grudges - either of them - or for them to be airing this out in public, via videos, youtube, etc. I always thought that you became less petty (and more mature) when you entered your 'golden years' ... apparently not.
Old October 23 2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

If George did not realize this before, I hope he understands now, he (and Sulu) during the original run of the series was at best a 4th banana (to Shatners' top banana/Nimoy's Second banana and De Kelly's third banana). He got lucky that he was kept for the three seasons and then went along for the movie ride. If Shatner's Kirk and Nimoy's Spock (along with Kelly's McCoy) did not ingratiate itself into the American viewers life, his career would have been very limited. Once he realizes this, he should appologize to Shatner for his bad behavior over the years.
Old October 23 2008, 01:58 AM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

All the Shat/Takei stuff aside, I'm sure the TT article title will be negatively misinterpreted.
Old October 23 2008, 02:01 AM   #6
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

I don't know... the "feud" is public... So when someone asked Takei "Hey, did you invite Shatner", he said, "No".

I don't think that's a personal shot against Shatner. Takei has said other things that have been personal digs, but not that.
Old October 23 2008, 02:19 AM   #7
ancient
Vice Admiral

I'm really on Shat's side when it comes to their TOS/STmovie conflict. Takei always seems to have had a problem with Shat's star character stealing screen-time from his supporting character.

I always got the impression Takei was really hell-bent on his character being 'the captain' and was really sore over that line being deleted from STII. Dude, seriously, get over it. Sulu is not the main character. Even though he finally got his own ship...

The bottom line is, Shat and Takei got into an ego feud that Takei couldn't possibly win.
Old October 23 2008, 02:25 AM   #8
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ He brought a knife to a gun fight.
Old October 23 2008, 03:04 AM   #9
CaptainHikaruSulu
Captain

DarkHelmet wrote: View Post
I don't know... the "feud" is public... So when someone asked Takei "Hey, did you invite Shatner", he said, "No".
Actually, when Takei was asked about inviting Shatner, the invitations had not yet been mailed out. They had a contact list of about 3,500 names and only 200 seats and he just wasn't sure if William Shatner would be able to make the cut. That's all. In the end, Shatner did get invited afterall so I don't understand what the hell Shatner is bitching about.
Old October 23 2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
If George did not realize this before, I hope he understands now, he (and Sulu) during the original run of the series was at best a 4th banana (to Shatners' top banana/Nimoy's Second banana and De Kelly's third banana). He got lucky that he was kept for the three seasons and then went along for the movie ride. If Shatner's Kirk and Nimoy's Spock (along with Kelly's McCoy) did not ingratiate itself into the American viewers life, his career would have been very limited. Once he realizes this, he should appologize to Shatner for his bad behavior over the years.
If we're counting bananas (insert lame "Gay Sulu" joke here) (ha! "insert"!), Takei was at best co-fifth banana, after Doohan's fourth and along with Nicholls and Koenig (and Nicholls' mini-skirt may give her the edge there, making Takei and Koenig co-sixth bananas).

This post has a week's supply of potassium, btw.
Old October 23 2008, 04:08 AM   #11
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Broccoli wrote: View Post
All the Shat/Takei stuff aside, I'm sure the TT article title will be negatively misinterpreted.
Hell.

I left off the "psychotic" bit because I felt it was a bit much. I hate writing articles like this.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old October 23 2008, 04:23 AM   #12
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

T'Booze wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Hell.

I left off the "psychotic" bit because I felt it was a bit much. I hate writing articles like this.
Don't let it bother you. Everything can be misinterpreted by someone. If people take the headline in an offensive way, then it's their own fault for not actually reading the article. Poo on them.
Old October 23 2008, 04:35 AM   #13
zenophite
Rear Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
I always got the impression Takei was really hell-bent on his character being 'the captain' and was really sore over that line being deleted from STII. Dude, seriously, get over it. Sulu is not the main character. Even though he finally got his own ship...

The bottom line is, Shat and Takei got into an ego feud that Takei couldn't possibly win.
indeed. I've thought for a long time that Takei gave himself far too much credit for being part of the Star Trek mythos - going on an on about how star trek changed the world and all that nonsense ad nauseum. Then later he goes and starts talking about how so many trek fans wanted the captain sulu series and I'm thinking to myself how convenient that is for someone to push that who has basically had no career.

Anyway, sulu was always a rather dull side character and nothing more - live with it George you don't have the gravitas to be captain - that voyager episode proved it IMO.
Old October 23 2008, 04:47 AM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
If we're going by bananas, Scotty would be number four and the remaining three would be tied for a distant fifth. Never mind that four through seven were never even listed in the opening credits because they WEREN'T THE STARS OF THE SHOW.

Could you imagine thirty years from now the actor who played West on Heroes bitching about Hayden Panettiere and Jack Coleman stealing his spotlight?
Old October 23 2008, 04:57 AM   #15
zenophite
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Could you imagine thirty years from now the actor who played West on Heroes bitching about Hayden Panettiere and Jack Coleman stealing his spotlight?