Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 69.08%
Above Average 35 23.03%
Average 8 5.26%
Below Average 2 1.32%
Poor 2 1.32%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20 2008, 05:41 PM   #256
DarkShinobi
Ensign

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

Well...I have 1/5 of the book to finish, and I want to do it at one sitting, but let me make my comments and questions:

I like the way the chapters are broken up into the year it takes place in, and the only thing I would have added was, say the ship's name, current stardate, and location as a preamble before going into what was happening on the Enterprise, Titan, etc...to give it more of a "Hunt for Red October" sorta feel. (But that's just me, I'm sure.)

I visualize the Caeliar as a cross between the Genoshans from Episode II and those aliens from The Abyss.

I, also, am at a loss as to when B'Ellana leaves Tom. Did she leave him to go into hiding to protect Miral? Also...when the heck is Voyager in space again? Wasn't that ship turned into a museum?

I like how the Excalibur was mentioned but not being part of the story cross over. I found myself mentally noting where the ships of my own fan fics would be during this storyline as well.

I wonder if a frustrated Riker will seek some "console" from Vale. There was a hint that he was thinking that.

The Anime Sex Kitten T'Ryssa Chen only has one line in this book and it doesn't involve her thinking about recreational sexual intercourse, having recreational sexual intercourse, or simply being with no clothes on, yet she still manages to irritate Picard.

I accidently flipped to the back of the book and notice the Appendix section. Why the HELL isn't THAT in the BEGINNING of the book??

All in all...one of the better Trek Novels I have read in a LONG time and I look forward to the next three stories!

OH...BTW... here is how I visualize T'Ryssa Chen.
DarkShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 05:44 PM   #257
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
It can't be that hard, to google some common german insults, can it?
Harder than you think, actually. At least, it was when the book was written. Sorry that threw you out the narrative.
Warning: VERY vulgar words in there. Enter at your own risk.
http://www.insults.net/html/swear/german.html

Took me about 20 seconds. Don't know how old that page is, though.
Problem is, that site lists scheisskopf, too, and I can only agree on what others have said: I'm German and I haven't heard that in my whole life.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 06:09 PM   #258
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
Problem is, that site lists scheisskopf, too,
Now that you say it...indeed.

I guess someone there read your book, David. Depending on how many people read that site, you may have "reverse engineered" Scheisskopf into the German language now.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 06:12 PM   #259
MichaelS
Fleet Captain

To add another voice to the chorus, I didn't know it either. However, I did google it, on the off chance that I simply wasn't aware of it (which isn't that impossible, given the fact that there are vast differences in slang vocabulary between the various Austrian regions - especially between the east and west of the country - as well as between the German spoken in, well, Germany and that in Austria), and I found that it appears on several Austrian sites (though not often enough to make me believe it is widely used).

Anyway, I volunteer to help out whenever German expressions are needed for future Trek fiction. I may be on the other side of the planet, but I'm only an email away.
Old October 20 2008, 08:51 PM   #260
thesadpanda
Commander

Pink Raygun has a rather lengthy review of Gods of Night up. They've been pretty critical of Star Trek novels in the past but they gave this a mostly good review.

http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/10/20...gods-of-night/
thesadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 08:59 PM   #261
Steve Roby
Commodore

I had written some other stuff on this topic, then I googled and found something I'd forgotten about: there's a character named Scheisskopf in Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22, which is a very popular and widely read book. From that alone the word would have been fairly widespread among English-speakers for nearly fifty years.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 09:32 PM   #262
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

thesadpanda wrote: View Post
Pink Raygun has a rather lengthy review of Gods of Night up. They've been pretty critical of Star Trek novels in the past but they gave this a mostly good review.

http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/10/20...gods-of-night/
If that's what you call "mostly good," god help anyone who gets a mostly bad one...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 10:14 PM   #263
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

William Leisner wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
It can't be that hard, to google some common german insults, can it?
Harder than you think, actually. At least, it was when the book was written. Sorry that threw you out the narrative.
Googling is easy. Knowing how they're going to sound to a living, breathing native speaker is more difficult.

Perhaps next time when such a problem occurs, maybe you authors and editors should think of this place (and similar ones): When it is about German language, I am willing to help. Just ask!
Old October 20 2008, 10:17 PM   #264
Christopher
Writer

DarkShinobi wrote: View Post
I visualize the Caeliar as a cross between the Genoshans from Episode II and those aliens from The Abyss.
Do you mean the Geonosians? Genosha is an island country from X-Men comics.

I, also, am at a loss as to when B'Ellana leaves Tom. Did she leave him to go into hiding to protect Miral?
This will be explained in Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer.

Also...when the heck is Voyager in space again? Wasn't that ship turned into a museum?
I don't recall that happening. Maybe it did in the Shatnerverse, but not in the main novel continuity. Voyager went back into active service in the Spirit Walk duology, with Chakotay as her captain.

The Anime Sex Kitten T'Ryssa Chen only has one line in this book and it doesn't involve her thinking about recreational sexual intercourse, having recreational sexual intercourse, or simply being with no clothes on, yet she still manages to irritate Picard.
I'm not sure whether to take "Anime Sex Kitten" as a compliment or not...

Hmm... in the ballpark. Who is she?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2008, 11:01 PM   #265
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
I had written some other stuff on this topic, then I googled and found something I'd forgotten about: there's a character named Scheisskopf in Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22, which is a very popular and widely read book. From that alone the word would have been fairly widespread among English-speakers for nearly fifty years.
Who's to say that the word won't enter the German lexicon over the next couple hundred years? Words are always flowing between languages and being updated by pop culture.

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 02:00 AM   #266
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Also...when the heck is Voyager in space again? Wasn't that ship turned into a museum?
Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't recall that happening. Maybe it did in the Shatnerverse, but not in the main novel continuity. Voyager went back into active service in the Spirit Walk duology, with Chakotay as her captain.
I wonder if you're thinking of the mention in Endgame when it says that the Voyager of the timeline of the Admiral Janeway who goes back to bring the ship home early had been turned into a museum.
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 05:44 AM   #267
DarkShinobi
Ensign

[quote=Christopher;2199330]
Do you mean the Geonosians? Genosha is an island country from X-Men comics.
Indeed, Chris. I did mean the Geonosians...NOT the X-Folks.

I, also, am at a loss as to when B'Ellana leaves Tom. Did she leave him to go into hiding to protect Miral?
This will be explained in Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer.
Ah...very well then! I shall look forward to that!

I hate to say that I didn't read any Post Voyager novels, but having Voyager go back to active duty DOES make sense!

I'm not sure whether to take "Anime Sex Kitten" as a compliment or not...
It is the MOST sincerest compliment...trust me!

Her name is Jamie Chung. She appeared in the ABC Family Series called "Samurai Girl." I had started watching that mini-series during the time I was reading "Greater Than The Sum" and BINGO. Ballpark? Chris, dude...who were you thinking of "acting" like T'Ryssa? I'd really like to know.

Thanks for answering my questions, Chris!
Old October 21 2008, 05:47 AM   #268
DarkShinobi
Ensign

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I wonder if you're thinking of the mention in Endgame when it says that the Voyager of the timeline of the Admiral Janeway who goes back to bring the ship home early had been turned into a museum.
That's exactly where I got that idea from. I kinda sorta presumed that Voyager was indeed made into a museum after it came back in "Endgame" and after all the future tech was stripped from the ship.
Old October 21 2008, 03:52 PM   #269
Christopher
Writer

Her name is Jamie Chung. She appeared in the ABC Family Series called "Samurai Girl." I had started watching that mini-series during the time I was reading "Greater Than The Sum" and BINGO.
Ooh, then I take it back. She photographs well, but I was very unimpressed by her in what I saw of Samurai Girl. She's nowhere near the ballpark personality-wise.

Ballpark? Chris, dude...who were you thinking of "acting" like T'Ryssa? I'd really like to know.
I didn't have a specific actress or person in mind at the time. But my brief to other authors on how to write for T'Ryssa is "Pretend that Joss Whedon is writing her." And as discussed in the pinned casting thread, I've recently noticed that Knight Rider's Smith Cho is a good candidate for T'Ryssa, albeit too short and somewhat too ditzy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2008, 07:49 PM   #270
DarkShinobi
Ensign

Ooh, then I take it back. She photographs well, but I was very unimpressed by her in what I saw of Samurai Girl. She's nowhere near the ballpark personality-wise..
I guess that's why they call them actors.

Naw...seriously, I was going more for looks and such.

I didn't have a specific actress or person in mind at the time. But my brief to other authors on how to write for T'Ryssa is "Pretend that Joss Whedon is writing her." And as discussed in the pinned casting thread, I've recently noticed that Knight Rider's Smith Cho is a good candidate for T'Ryssa, albeit too short and somewhat too ditzy.
Smith Cho is okay...but she does come across as kinda ditzy, as you said. Plus she doesn't really strike me as being able to wear the uniform. Its hard to describe...but I thibnk you know what I mean.

I guess Jamie Chung is T'Ryssa in my own imagination (and fan fics.)