Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 15 2008, 10:04 AM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: The "original" Ten-Forward

Have you never been in a restaurant that had steps separating different sections? It happens all the time.
Old October 15 2008, 11:41 AM   #17
ST-One
Vice Admiral

RoJoHellraiser wrote: View Post
Have you never been in a restaurant that had steps separating different sections? It happens all the time.
That is not what I meant.

Look, the windows on the forward edge of the saucer bend into the floor. There simply isn't any room for the bar-area to be lower than the the seating-area with the windows in the floor.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 11:55 AM   #18
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

ST-One wrote: View Post
The other thing that really makes absolutely no sense at all about the 10-Forward-set were those 2 or 3 steps that devided the bar-section from the seating-area... stupid...
From a set design perspective, the steps make perfect sense. They increase the apparent size of the set.

From a "realistic" perspective, they increase the height of the overall room, making it even less likely that the room would fit within the rim of the Enterprise's saucer.
Old October 15 2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

But the steps also create the impression that there's no room to spare beneath the windowside tables, at the narrow rim, so they have to be raised by a few steps - while the bar itself, farther in, can afford to be higher, with a lower-down floor.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 12:59 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

The rim of the saucer isn't flat, it curves up to the edge. Hence the dual-level floor to help follow the curve.

Part of the TV-set reason, I imagine, was to allow the windows to curve under the platform floor giving an impression of depth. Had they built it one-level-only on the stage floor they couldn't have done that. Hence the raised platform as an elegant solution to the design challenge.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Probert
Starfleet Design

Undead wrote: View Post
When Andrew Probert was doing initial designs on the Galaxy class, he had envisioned differently what eventually became Ten-Forward (which he dislikes, because he feels it's not really proportional to the saucer).
Quite true. As you can see, the saucer rim is way too small to accommodate that ridiculous set. It is a bit hard for me to understand why Berman insisted on stuffing that room in there when I totally provided many sizable window alcoves alluding to places of large social gatherings: restaurants, lounges, etc.

Below, you can see the windows provided for an Officer's Lounge which would have been perfect for a '10-forward'-sized space...

... but Producer Bob Justman had that set of windows (and many others) divided into smaller window sets, like the resulting odd block of windows below the saucer's shuttle bay.

Frustrating? Indeed, but I'm not the only person whose designs were/are not understood by "those in charge".

Andrew-

PS: A good example of the actual blue & green panel coloring.
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 02:16 PM   #22
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Probert wrote: View Post
Undead wrote: View Post
When Andrew Probert was doing initial designs on the Galaxy class, he had envisioned differently what eventually became Ten-Forward (which he dislikes, because he feels it's not really proportional to the saucer).
Quite true. As you can see, the saucer rim is way too small to accommodate that ridiculous set. It is a bit hard for me to understand why Berman insisted on stuffing that room in there when I totally provided many sizable window alcoves alluding to places of large social gatherings: restaurants, lounges, etc.

Below, you can see the windows provided for an Officer's Lounge which would have been perfect for a '10-forward'-sized space...

... but Producer Bob Justman had that set of windows (and many others) divided into smaller window sets, like the resulting odd block of windows below the saucer's shuttle bay.

Frustrating? Indeed, but I'm not the only person whose designs were/are not understood by "those in charge".

Andrew-

PS: A good example of the actual blue & green panel coloring.
It would have been so great to have seen your version of these saucer-rim-rooms, but I think these large windows looks better divided into smaller ones...
But at least this little change didn't fuck your layout for the ship as that idiotic 10-Forward-set did.
Old October 15 2008, 02:24 PM   #23
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
The rim of the saucer isn't flat, it curves up to the edge. Hence the dual-level floor to help follow the curve.
Actually, it is flat. The only curve is the one the windows (on the miniature) follow.

Part of the TV-set reason, I imagine, was to allow the windows to curve under the platform floor giving an impression of depth. Had they built it one-level-only on the stage floor they couldn't have done that. Hence the raised platform as an elegant solution to the design challenge.
If only they had done that (it wouldn't have fucked with the design too much). But the windows don't even reach the floor on the set.

Old October 15 2008, 04:16 PM   #24
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Just to play devil's advocate, the Ten Forward set doesn't fit... but neither do the secondary shuttlebays. We can wave our hands and imagine the vertical outer wall and door as being inset from the angled outer hull and door, but what would be the point of such a discrepancy?
Old October 15 2008, 05:16 PM   #25
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, the Ten Forward set doesn't fit... but neither do the secondary shuttlebays. We can wave our hands and imagine the vertical outer wall and door as being inset from the angled outer hull and door, but what would be the point of such a discrepancy?
I had always felt that thos were "loading bays", at the back of the shuttlebay spaces. This theory does of course ignore some of the visuals, but it makes sense from a technical standpoint.
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2008, 04:36 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

ST-One wrote: View Post
Actually, it is flat. The only curve is the one the windows (on the miniature) follow.
Holy crap, you're right.

Time passes. The memory blurs.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2008, 06:11 PM   #27
Probert
Starfleet Design

Hey, all,... maybe this will help-

Andrew-
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2008, 06:15 PM   #28
Probert