Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 2 2008, 08:39 PM   #196
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

if i find a character engaging, i don't care if they're white, black, hispanic, Asian, male, female or a small furry creature from Alpha Centauri.

i do draw the line at super-intelligent shades of the colour blue, though.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2008, 12:02 AM   #197
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Hey! Some of my best friends are superintelligent shades of the color blue!
Old October 3 2008, 10:30 AM   #198
JAG
Vice Admiral

So, you don't like Bolians hunh?
Old October 4 2008, 07:48 AM   #199
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i do draw the line at super-intelligent shades of the colour blue, though.
Jealousy!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2008, 09:49 PM   #200
captcalhoun
Admiral

i like Andorians, Bolians and Benzites. it's hooloovians...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 03:53 AM   #201
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

Just finished GTTS! Overall, some very interesting developments, both character-wise and plot-wise.

One of the biggest positives I felt were the overall interlinking theme of family (including Crusher becoming pregnant which is sure to add some drama down the road). I also felt there were some nice surprises, such as the return and sacrifice of Hugh and formerly unknown Enterprise crew member - Rebekkah (pardon any spelling errors). I thought Geordi was also characterized very well and continues to be sympathetic as a guy who just can't seem to get it right with the girls. I just hope that in future novels, more can be done with individual character development than helping them find/realize their true love (i.e. Picard & Crusher). I was quite caught off guard at first at the huge significance given to Picard's experience in "The Inner Light" and how it had affected his feelings of having his own children. I think I was surprised because although TNG did show us that Picard's experience did remain a part of him (i.e. the flute), it was never really given much further emphasis past that episode. However, it does make total sense that his experience with Kamen's children would affect him as much as had they been his own. So, kudos to a good idea there. Finally, the continuation of the story with the Einstein (now Frankenstein) was a nifty little nugget. I also liked the use of Leybenzon at the end of the story but felt it a little disappointing that his character wasn't able to be redeemed as much as he was portrayed as making a folly of the worst judgement (however, on the other hand, it's good to see when characters aren't always presented in such a predictable/architypical fashion).

Just from speaking with Christopher online and hearing about some elements of some of his other novels I have not gotten around to reading yet, I gained the impression that two big interests/focuses of his are the heavy detail of science (physics in particular) in some elements of the story, and also, experiences with non-humanoid aliens of very different perspectives/natures from our own. Both of these were very noticable in this story. I enjoyed the attention to detail in this regard but did feel that at times very dramatic situations were filled with very meticulous (and possibly unnecessary) explanations of the physics of certain situations. Two examples that spring to mind are the firing of the torpedos into the rift created betwen the Enterprise and Borg Cube (and how they would react) and the nature in which the Enterprise and Liberator attacked the Borg Cube in the pincer-like fashion (I believe it was refered to as) in order to fool the Borg into exposing its injured side. I think that dramatic situations involving physical battles must be difficult enough for an author to write in a nature that keeps it compelling and suspenseful and I found that going into this level of scientific detail on the page detracted from the drama a bit.

My only other negative points (and I only mention them because I always try to weigh in on both the attractors and detractors) would be that I felt the story was quite slow moving at times. I found myself getting a bit bored with the continued encounters with the aliens and attempting to make them understand why we needed to fight the Borg. I suppose it's just a matter of preference that I prefer the alien entities with a bit more similarity to ourselves and whose motivations are more down to earth (e.g. Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Organians, Borg, 8472, Vulcans, etc), and I don't quite enjoy as much the ones that have no real connection to real people. The one plus that I felt these aliens really did add to the story though was in allowing for the comments on the nature of children and how they are a part of, and yet separate from their parents.

And as others have mentioned, I'm also beginning to suffer from a bit of Borg fatigue. Three massive Borg threats in the last four novels (as well as one supposedly coming in Destiny) strikes me as a bit much and I find that many of their developments (e.g. killing rather than assimilating, proceeding to attack the Federation out of revenge rather than pure utility) are only serving to make them lose the characteristics that made them unique and are becoming more like the majority of other alien enemies we've encountered. However, this doesn't mean that I'm still not extremely pumped to see what Destiny brings and will probably have to begin reading book 1 tonight.

As for a final summation of GTTS, I think it's an excellent addition to the TNG-R line for it's character developments that are sure to have some lasting impacts.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 04:16 AM   #202
Christopher
Writer

Elemental wrote: View Post
Just finished GTTS! Overall, some very interesting developments, both character-wise and plot-wise.
Thanks!

One of the biggest positives I felt were the overall interlinking theme of family (including Crusher becoming pregnant which is sure to add some drama down the road).
There we go again. It surprises me that everyone sees the theme as family, since that wasn't what I had in mind.

I also felt there were some nice surprises, such as the return and sacrifice of Hugh and formerly unknown Enterprise crew member - Rebekkah (pardon any spelling errors).
Rebekah Grabowski wasn't completely unknown. She was actually established by KRAD in Q&A, in a scene where Picard reflects on the 18 crewmembers taken by the Borg in "Q Who." When plotting GTTS, I decided it would provide a nice bit of continuity if I took one of those crewmembers mentioned in that book and featured them in my book.

I enjoyed the attention to detail in this regard but did feel that at times very dramatic situations were filled with very meticulous (and possibly unnecessary) explanations of the physics of certain situations. Two examples that spring to mind are the firing of the torpedos into the rift created betwen the Enterprise and Borg Cube (and how they would react)
I'm not quite sure what scene you're referring to here.

and the nature in which the Enterprise and Liberator attacked the Borg Cube in the pincer-like fashion (I believe it was refered to as) in order to fool the Borg into exposing its injured side. I think that dramatic situations involving physical battles must be difficult enough for an author to write in a nature that keeps it compelling and suspenseful and I found that going into this level of scientific detail on the page detracted from the drama a bit.
Well, to me, space battles are anything but compelling. Descriptions of ships shooting stuff at each other and explosions going off and whatnot just don't interest me at all. So the only way I can get interested in writing a battle scene is if there's something to think about, like a clever strategy or a scientific idea that comes into play.

And as others have mentioned, I'm also beginning to suffer from a bit of Borg fatigue. Three massive Borg threats in the last four novels (as well as one supposedly coming in Destiny) strikes me as a bit much and I find that many of their developments (e.g. killing rather than assimilating, proceeding to attack the Federation out of revenge rather than pure utility) are only serving to make them lose the characteristics that made them unique and are becoming more like the majority of other alien enemies we've encountered.
Well, there are practical reasons for those developments. As established in Resistance, their take-no-prisoners approach was a defense mechanism for a nascent Queen; it stands to reason that they'd be most aggressive when at their most vulnerable. Since the Borg seen in Before Dishonor and GTTS were products of that same cube, they apparently inherited that same defensive mode. And even the "revenge" attack on the Federation has a pragmatic purpose; since the UFP proved itself a serious threat to the Borg, that makes it in the Borg's best interests to eradicate that threat with extreme prejudice.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the Borg threat in GTTS was massive. It was just one assimilated ship, an afterthought, really. The only massive thing was the potential for disaster if that one ship managed to get effective slipstream capability back to the rest of the Collective.

And none of the Borg threats we've ever seen before comes anywhere near massive when compared to what's coming in Destiny.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 06:04 AM   #203
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I just read GTTS a few days ago and loved it! I've been a fan of Christopher's writing since reading Ex Machina and was not disappointed. Before Dishoner left me very flat, especially coming after the, imo, very strong Q & A, but GTTM was a great follow up which picked up on the good developments from the previous book and used them to great advantage. While this book did use the Borg, it didn't seem like a "Borg story." Rather it seemed that the Borg were the McGuffin that allowed Christopher to tell a great story about these characters. The developments with Picard and Crusher were great, as it really felt like they were growing as people in ways that characters in TV shows are rarely allowed to do.

And add me to the list of people who thought that "family" was one of the main themes of the book
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 07:54 AM   #204
nx1701g
Admiral

I finally got the chance to sit down and read this book after several months (my bookstore not carrying Trek novels anymore is really starting to get annoying). I have to say I went into this somewhat worried. Before Dishonor left a very bad taste in my mouth that made me consider giving up on the TNG Relaunch. I couldn't see how this book could possibly reconcile the differences in the characters. I finally broke down and read it because I wanted to hear the story between Before Dishonor and Gods of Night.

I was happily surprised.

First I didn't expect to like T'Ryssa Chen when I first read about her and now she's probably my favorite of the new arrivals to Captain Picard's chain of command. She's uncertain about herself and is a very complex character, which is welcome. I haven't gotten very far in Gods of Night but I'm hoping that she doesn't change much. She was a welcome change from T'Lana.

I wasn't too pleased when I read that Leybenzon was being reassigned - in Q&A I liked the character but Before Dishonor did him in for me - so I was hoping he could somehow be redeemed. His reassignment I didn't like when I first read it, but I like Choudhry and I'd say she's my second favorite of the new crew.

The story itself was spot on and intriguing. I don't usually read books in one sitting because I have so much going on, but when I started on Sunday I cleared my schedule and read it straight through. The characters were engaging, the return of old favorites (Guinan and Hugh) was welcome, and the Noh Angels were an interesting new race. It reminded me in many ways of the old TOS stories rather than a TNG one. It was refreshing.

And this was the progression for the characters that we should have seen in Nemesis. When Nemesis was announced Logan said he wanted to show the characters progress on to the next stage of their lives. He did an average job compared to what Christopher has introduced. Picard's storyline and marriage to Doctor Crusher was something that I thought was needed, and everything he was thinking and feeling seemed real. While "The Inner Light" is not one of my favorite episodes (yeah I know amazing), I enjoyed seeing that it stuck with him on an unconscious level and even influenced him in how he treated Beverly's desire and that of Hugh.

I'll admit that I'll miss Guinan in the TNG novels but I have no doubt she'll turn up at a later date. As the narrative said Picard didn't need her around as much as he did before and it showed. The characters have all grown up and the crew of the Enterprise (both old and new) couldn't be any better in my opinion. Even though I'm typically critical I have to say that Christopher has removed the bad taste of Before Dishonor and I can't wait to see the continuing adventures of this crew.
Old October 14 2008, 08:26 AM   #205
Ferd Burfel
Lieutenant Commander

Overall I score the book very, very high. I loved the fact that most of the characters we know and love were presented EXACTLY like I was watching the show. I loved Geordi being forced to think about and deal with the Data/B-4 issue. I hope more comes of that, because I think that just ignoring it book after book will start to upset a lot of the book reading faithful. I also hope we get more of Geordi. Him and Worf are now the two biggest rocks Picard has, and I'd love to see Geordi start playing that up. We've seen an alternate future where he is a Captain, and Riker asked him about being an XO. Maybe now that everything is changed and he is closely examining his personal life we'll see him make that move more towards leadership and possibly the command track. I'm not calling for him to get a ship next book, but Geordi is often under utilized in TNG storytelling. He's a strong character and I'm glad Chris showed us those moments, but I do want to see several more.

Chen doesn't bother me too much. I agree with what Chris said about her being intended to be annoying and abrasive. Star Trek is all about redemption and second chances. Starfleet and the Federation's mission is that of peace, exploration and development. I'm hoping she doesn't become a HUGE character, but to give her redeeming qualities and come through in the end doesn't make it silly or predictable. And if it does, well then all of Star Trek is. Either way, I'm a fan.

I can't say I liked what happened to Hugh at the end, but I guess I can understand it. I would have liked to see him some more, especially now that the Borg are truly adapting and evolving. Even so much as having a few more ex-Borg around for Starfleet now that this threat is going ot explode.

The only part I groaned at was the Enterprise going by itself. It seems to me Starfleet would want a few ships going, not just one. A small fleet to deal with a Borg threat makes a little more sense to me. Sometimes Voyager bothered me because it seemed like Voyager became a hero ship, or that the Borg weren't all that bad. The do damage like Wolf 359, but all we're gonna send is the Enterprise? But that's VERY nitpicky on my part.

Kadohata falls into that same category. All the talk and discussion makes you wonder why she's out there. It seems silly to me to talk so much about missing the family, but it's out of choice. It almost seems overplayed she's unhappy, when the solution is within her grasp. It makes the character seem a little weak to me. I can't think of a great replacement, but Data left big shoes to fill and it doesn't seem like she's doing a very good job.

And then Worf. I love Worf. And I like how on DS9 he became less "blow it up" and more "lets see if we can do something before we blow it up". On TNG, especially early seasons he's the guy who always calls out the dumb idea you know will be shot down. On DS9 that changed. The character grew and became much deeper. In some of the relaunch stuff it seems like he's reverted. I understand he has high expectations, but I don't think that means he should immediately underestimate people or find a flaw. I like to think of him as more...tactical now.

So I know it seems like I nitpicked a lot (and I did), but I really did like this novel a lot. It was the first Bennett novel that I've read, but now I'm on his fourth. All are great works IMO. Keep it up.
Ferd Burfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2008, 02:53 PM   #206
Christopher
Writer

nx1701g wrote: View Post
First I didn't expect to like T'Ryssa Chen when I first read about her and now she's probably my favorite of the new arrivals to Captain Picard's chain of command. She's uncertain about herself and is a very complex character, which is welcome.
Glad to hear it!

I like Choudhry and I'd say she's my second favorite of the new crew.
Yay!

And this was the progression for the characters that we should have seen in Nemesis. When Nemesis was announced Logan said he wanted to show the characters progress on to the next stage of their lives. He did an average job compared to what Christopher has introduced. Picard's storyline and marriage to Doctor Crusher was something that I thought was needed, and everything he was thinking and feeling seemed real.
To give credit where it's due, it was my editor Margaret Clark (and perhaps Dave Mack) who'd decided to have Picard and Beverly start a family, though it was left up to me whether to have them actually get married.

Ferd Burfel wrote: View Post
Overall I score the book very, very high. I loved the fact that most of the characters we know and love were presented EXACTLY like I was watching the show.
Thank you!

I loved Geordi being forced to think about and deal with the Data/B-4 issue. I hope more comes of that, because I think that just ignoring it book after book will start to upset a lot of the book reading faithful.
I hope so too...

I also hope we get more of Geordi. Him and Worf are now the two biggest rocks Picard has, and I'd love to see Geordi start playing that up. We've seen an alternate future where he is a Captain, and Riker asked him about being an XO. Maybe now that everything is changed and he is closely examining his personal life we'll see him make that move more towards leadership and possibly the command track.
Then again, we've also seen an alternate future in which he left Starfleet, became a successful novelist, and married Leah Brahms...

Chen doesn't bother me too much. I agree with what Chris said about her being intended to be annoying and abrasive.
Well, that's overstating it a little. She's meant to be endearingly irritating.

The only part I groaned at was the Enterprise going by itself. It seems to me Starfleet would want a few ships going, not just one. A small fleet to deal with a Borg threat makes a little more sense to me.
Well, one, Starfleet had lost a fair number of ships to the Borg supercube three months before, and two, the Frankenstein was a fairly small vessel and the E-E had transphasic torpedoes and the multivector agent.

Kadohata falls into that same category. All the talk and discussion makes you wonder why she's out there. It seems silly to me to talk so much about missing the family, but it's out of choice. It almost seems overplayed she's unhappy, when the solution is within her grasp. It makes the character seem a little weak to me.
But that's just it -- she'd be just as unhappy if she gave up her career for the sake of family. Either way, she'd be cut off from half of who she is. This is a choice a lot of people in real life have to make. Lots of people do choose to pursue careers that keep them away from their families for long stretches, but that doesn't mean they love their families any less.

I can't think of a great replacement, but Data left big shoes to fill and it doesn't seem like she's doing a very good job.
Data was doing three jobs at once -- second officer, ops manager, science officer. That's an insane workload for any human being to carry, and Kadohata succeeded at doing so for several months, although it put her under excessive stress. Now, with Elfiki becoming science officer, Kadohata's down to doing two jobs, which is still quite a burden for one human being, but she seems to be doing just fine to me.

So I know it seems like I nitpicked a lot (and I did), but I really did like this novel a lot. It was the first Bennett novel that I've read, but now I'm on his fourth. All are great works IMO. Keep it up.
Thanks!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2008, 12:02 AM   #207
Ferd Burfel
Lieutenant Commander

Good point on Geordi, things could always go the non-Starfleet way. But I'd also counter that some of the things that have happened since we saw that possible future could just have easily pushed him further INTO Starfleet. (And I know we could argue that since it was the future, these things happening how could be included, but then we'd be opening a HUGE can of worms and debate.)

I can see Starfleet judging the crisis and sending one ship, but I also sometimes see stuff like this as embracing the "hero ship" a little too much. I know the Enterprise is the flagship, but even so a little help can never hurt. I totally get the transphasic torpedos, but they were also ordered to avoid using them if possible. For it to be a last resort. It seems they would have a better shot at destroying a vessel by sending strength in numbers. That if they send three ships the level of engagement would reduce the need of having to use the torpedos. But again, when I read further on that small groan floated away.

And I truly get that about Kadohata. I'm merely saying that in earlier books it seemed less like she was having to make that choice. I thought you (Chris Bennett) did a good job showing that it was two distinct pieces of who she is (especially when her and Chen interacted), but other books made it seem less complicated. It seemed in earlier tomes that she was making the wrong decision. That she even partly felt that way. I know it must be insanely tough to write a character that is completely fiction, especially from author to author. I'm merely pointing out what I think of her as her whole story progresses. Some authors seem to exhibit that duality better than others. I'm not saying she loves her family less than Starfleet, I'm saying not all the authors have done a good job explaining that through internal monologue. And I agree she is doing just fine now, and I also thought you (Chris Bennett) did a good job humanising that she couldn't do them all and that she almost took it personally when they took things off her plate. That is pure Star Trek and humanity. But again, I don't get that from other authors telling her story. When I said she wasn't doing a very good job it was a comment on her being overworked and a little incapable of being Data, it wasn't a knock on character development (from you at least).

And Chen is endearing. I merely meant that if people were a little annoyed by her or thought she was abrasive then they were getting the point. She isn't a bad character, far from it. It's good storytelling to see someone who isn't the perfect Starfleet officer. It happens. That is why I loved DS9. The whole "frontier" thing played out very well for me. I liked seeing people making the decision a different way than I was used to seeing on TNG.

As I said before, I'm nitpicky. But it's served me well in various aspects. And Star Trek is something that I hold very dear, so I'll always be incredibly critical of its treatment at times. But I'll also be incredibly happy to read and point out things I think are great (like GTTS as a whole).

Don't just challenge what they think, challenge how they think.
Ferd Burfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2008, 11:29 PM   #208
ZaqHydN
Cadet

Location: Bensalem PA, Severville TN, Pigeon Forge TN, Philadelphia PA, Bristol PA, Jacksonville FL, Cary NC
Send a message via AIM to ZaqHydN Send a message via Yahoo to ZaqHydN

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
SPOILER SPACE
Mike Winters
Can I just say, I love the whole concept of inventing our own technology by simply imagining it, writing it, then someone creating it.. Star Trek has always been what I imagine our future becoming.

yes, this reply has nothing to do with the thread, sorry, but it has been over a decade since Mike and I wasted time together.. what's doin Mike?!
ZaqHydN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 05:14 PM   #209
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

For thems what's interested...

SF Site has a rare review of a Star Trek novel up at their site, praising GTTS as well as the TNG Relaunch to date.

http://www.sfsite.com/12a/gt285.htm
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2008, 12:40 AM   #210
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

This was a great book it has exploration, epic confrontations, interesting new characters, and most important of all....

Santa Worf.

Just imagine would he would do to kids on the naughty list.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote