Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 25 2008, 03:11 PM   #91
RaymondJames
Captain

Re: I have read Titan #1, #2, & #3...reading #4

kc5hwb wrote: View Post
I've read the first 3 novels in this series and I just purchased the 4th one (I know, I fell behind)

The first one was fantastic, the 2nd one quite good too, but the 3rd one wasn't great at all. The whole plot was just stupid and the author, who was different from the author who wrote the first 2 books, made Riker out to be a wimp, IMO.

I am hoping for a much better plot and much better storyline that follows the previous TNG books that I enjoy, and hoping to see a lead-in to the new Destiny series, which I will start picking up in a week or 2. (Sept 30 ?)
My thoughts on #3 are quite the same. Go find you #3 Titan Book look at the authours name...ok now find apost by Christopher on here and look at his profile
Old September 25 2008, 03:12 PM   #92
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^
Old September 25 2008, 03:27 PM   #93
LightningStorm
The Borg King

RaymondJames wrote: View Post
My thoughts on #3 are quite the same. Go find you #3 Titan Book look at the authours name...ok now find apost by Christopher on here and look at his profile
My sentiments about this are much the same as Turtletrekker's.

However, What exactly about his profile says anything untoward about him, his character, or his writing???
Old September 25 2008, 03:35 PM   #94
RaymondJames
Captain

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
My sentiments about this are much the same as Turtletrekker's.

However, What exactly about his profile says anything untoward about him, his character, or his writing???
nothing really he is a very nice guy, I just keep my mouth shut when an author on the boards
I am open in the fact i just don't like Orions Hounds.
Old September 25 2008, 03:37 PM   #95
LightningStorm
The Borg King

^^ Color me confused.
Old September 25 2008, 03:39 PM   #96
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

I just keep my mouth shut when an author on the boards
Mmh, so you only criticize people's work behind their back? Very classy.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 05:23 PM   #97
RaymondJames
Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
I just keep my mouth shut when an author on the boards
Mmh, so you only criticize people's work behind their back? Very classy.
no, I just don't criticize the author on a personal or career level. Work is fine to criticize, not everyones going to like the book may it be style or plot.
Old September 27 2008, 10:20 PM   #98
RaymondJames
Captain

Still reading...waiting for Destiny and Titan #5
Old October 11 2008, 10:32 PM   #99
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

i love all the TITAN books, so far, with a special enjoyment of #1 and #3 for different reasons.

i couldn't think of a better group of guys to be slapped together with and following a CLB novel was one of the terrors of my professional life.

Dat boy kin write!
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 01:31 AM   #100
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

As someone who works in the field of ornithology, which isn't that all that far from ecology, I did get a kick out of Orion's Hounds. I did feel like things kept going off on tangents, but honestly, it didn't bother me...it wa just a change of pace.

I did feel like Vale's rant on guns and hunting was handled somewhat heavy-handed. She made all hunters and gun owners out like they were crazy gun-toting lunatics ready to pull a trigger and "blow their kids' heads off" at a moment's notice. I understand that some people actually believe that nonsense, but it sounds strange coming from a person who's part of a group of people that prides themselves on accepting cultural differences and ways of life. If she thinks those people are dangerous, what must she think of the Klingons, who also have a rich tradition that includes ritualized hunting and weapons ownership? I'm sure even Klingons would have a low regard for someone who handled a bat'leth irresponsibly. At least she admits she's biased. Oh well, some people have some opinions and other people have others - at least the entire crew isn't perfect (thank goodness).

Oh, and Ree still rocks.

This crew is seriously odd...

You've got Stitch
http://people.inf.elte.hu/liska/alyrbejbe/stich.jpg

A cross between Charlotte (of Charlotte's Web) and Shelob:
http://www.paulcampion.com/texturing..._shelob_01.jpg

The Lizard
http://www.filmpeek.net/userimages/u...1178467032.gif

and for some reason, Orilly appeared in my mind with this appearance:
http://www.alispagnola.com/pinkelephant.jpg

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."

Last edited by Rosalind; October 12 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: hotlinks
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 02:25 AM   #101
Cicero
Admiral

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Oh, my...hats off to the cover artist! I must say, the Titan series seems to be getting some of the best cover artwork of any of the books lately.
Agreed; I love the Titan covers. Aside from the lighting mis-matches in the photoshopping on the cover to The Red King, they've all been outstanding.
Old October 12 2008, 02:42 AM   #102
Christopher
Writer

Sisko_is_my_captain wrote: View Post
I did feel like Vale's rant on guns and hunting was handled somewhat heavy-handed. She made all hunters and gun owners out like they were crazy gun-toting lunatics ready to pull a trigger and "blow their kids' heads off" at a moment's notice. I understand that some people actually believe that nonsense, but it sounds strange coming from a person who's part of a group of people that prides themselves on accepting cultural differences and ways of life.
Vale is an ex-cop, and cops are often the strongest proponents of gun control, because they not only have to see the consequences of gun violence but are constantly at risk from it. Given that much of the novel could be taken as portraying hunters in a positive light, I felt there had to be someone taking a contrasting view for the sake of balance, and Vale seemed the logical choice.

Actually K'chak'!'op is more like a crustacean with some squidlike attributes than a spider: http://home.fuse.net/ChristopherLBennett/Chaka.jpg

The Lizard
If you mean Ree, he's more like a Jurassic Park velociraptor, albeit with a Komodo-dragon head.

Mm, not exactly: http://home.fuse.net/ChristopherLBennett/Orilly.jpg

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Rosalind; October 12 2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: hotlink in quoted message
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 04:14 AM   #103
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I did feel like Vale's rant on guns and hunting was handled somewhat heavy-handed. She made all hunters and gun owners out like they were crazy gun-toting lunatics ready to pull a trigger and "blow their kids' heads off" at a moment's notice. I understand that some people actually believe that nonsense, but it sounds strange coming from a person who's part of a group of people that prides themselves on accepting cultural differences and ways of life.
Vale is an ex-cop, and cops are often the strongest proponents of gun control, because they not only have to see the consequences of gun violence but are constantly at risk from it. Given that much of the novel could be taken as portraying hunters in a positive light, I felt there had to be someone taking a contrasting view for the sake of balance, and Vale seemed the logical choice.
Some are, I agree, while many others are vocal proponents of the exact opposite and strongly argue for responsible gun ownership by non-LEO (law enforcement officers). My local sheriff is a good example of the latter. He favors law-abiding citizens carrying. In my experience, those who take the time, spend the money, and go through the background checks for a carry permit are extremely methodical and safe with their weapons. I can appreciate the need to present a contrasting view - and besides, I've never met the citizens of Izar; maybe they're gun-totin' Yosemite Sams.

Actually K'chak'!'op is more like a crustacean with some squidlike attributes than a spider: http://home.fuse.net/ChristopherLBennett/Chaka.jpg
Interesting - I guess exoskeletons tend to blur together in my imagination.

The Lizard
If you mean Ree, he's more like a Jurassic Park velociraptor, albeit with a Komodo-dragon head.
I was associating the doctor (Conners - sp.) and the Lizard in my reference more than the physical appearance. I absolutely loved the part where the good Doctor (Ree) bit off that dude's arm because he was getting rowdy. Fantastic. With Ree, 'biting someone's head off' takes on a whole new meaning.

Mm, not exactly: http://home.fuse.net/ChristopherLBennett/Orilly.jpg
Okay, okay, I got that she was more of a scaly thingamabob with two trunks with grasping appendages, but her personality is that of a sad, fat, pink, little elephant. I bet she played the tuba when she was in the Academy band.

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."

Last edited by Rosalind; October 12 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 04:22 AM   #104
JD
Admiral

I absolutely loved the part where the good Doctor (Ree) bit off that dude's arm because he was getting rowdy. Fantastic. With Ree, 'biting someone's head off' takes on a whole new meaning.
I don't remember that, which book is it from?
Old October 12 2008, 05:00 AM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Some are, I agree, while many others are vocal proponents of the exact opposite and strongly argue for responsible gun ownership by non-LEO (law enforcement officers).
And Vale was condemning irresponsible gun ownership and a culture that, in her opinion, promoted it. That's her experience and it shapes her attitudes.

Just Died wrote: View Post
I absolutely loved the part where the good Doctor (Ree) bit off that dude's arm because he was getting rowdy. Fantastic. With Ree, 'biting someone's head off' takes on a whole new meaning.
I don't remember that, which book is it from?
Orion's Hounds. Early in Part 2. But he did promise to reattach the arm later.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote