CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2008, 06:53 PM   #31
Jan
Commodore

Re: Babylon 5 quotebook is finally here!

The Gill-Man wrote: View Post
Jan - No Crusade? Why not? I can't help but think that any type of "Crusade Quotes" would end up as a pamphlet, not a book. Guess that leaves some of my submissions out.
Don't know, Gill-Man. I don't remember if I submitted any Crusade quotes or not. While I liked a lot of the dialogue it was mainly because Max, Galen and Gideon would resonate with my sarcastic nature rather than because the quotes meant anything to me. Oh, but they did resonate!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 07:12 PM   #32
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Changeling Jan wrote: View Post
Max, Galen and Gideon would resonate with my sarcastic nature rather than because the quotes meant anything to me. Oh, but they did resonate!

Jan
Agreed ... Though Dureena had some nice ones as well. But yeah, mostly Max and Galen.
Old October 10 2008, 08:11 PM   #33
Forbin
Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
ok, so what are you looking for in response?
Maybe a thank you?
The dude's just relaying useful information. Something wrong with that?
Forbin-lighten up. It was a literal question-I wasn't sure what kind of response(if any) the OP was expecting. Don't be such a troll. Debate is healthy but being contrary just to start a fight is silly and pointless.

And have a nice day.
Now I'm a troll? I thought I was defending him.

I thought your response sounded like a troll.

Okay, mutual misunderstanding then. Never mind.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 09:46 PM   #34
Neroon
Mod of balance

Agreed ... Though Dureena had some nice ones as well.
And her quotes weren't bad, either.
Old October 10 2008, 10:01 PM   #35
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Bad Roon Rising wrote: View Post
I see what you did there. Freak. lol
Old October 11 2008, 12:55 PM   #36
Jan
Commodore

Bad Roon Rising wrote: View Post
I see what you did there. Freak. lol
Hmm...you're right Dureena had some good quotes, indeed. But putting Dureena and Max together...

DUREENA: Gods, I'm drowning in testosterone.
EILERSON: Luckily for you, you're equipped with floatation devices.
"Ruling from the Tomb" by Peter David. That wasn't my favorite episode but I'd have enjoyed seeing more scripts by him in Crusade.

Jan
Old October 11 2008, 11:22 PM   #37
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I thought "How long were you under him?" was funnier in that episode.
Old October 11 2008, 11:31 PM   #38
Pilot Ace
Captain

I've bought all the books so far, somewhat considered not picking up the Chronologies. This one I'm even less sure about grabbing. Quote books just don't really make much sense in this digital age.

Mhmm. I'm going to have to debate myself about dropping $30ish on this sort of thing.

Anyone have any insight on what the next book(s) will be? The Crusade scripts? More movies like Legend of the Rangers and the like?
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 11:59 PM   #39
Harvey
Admiral

They were taking question submissions for a movie script book, but I'm unsure when that's coming out. Crusade script books are also in the works.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2008, 02:39 AM   #40
Neroon
Mod of balance

DUREENA: Gods, I'm drowning in testosterone.
EILERSON: Luckily for you, you're equipped with floatation devices.
"Ruling from the Tomb" by Peter David. That wasn't my favorite episode but I'd have enjoyed seeing more scripts by him in Crusade.

Jan
Ditto. I also didn't care for that episode, myself. However, that quote IS my favorite from all of Crusade!

Harvey wrote: View Post
They were taking question submissions for a movie script book, but I'm unsure when that's coming out. Crusade script books are also in the works.
They have taken questions for the movies book, though I didn't submit any myself this time around. So far, I have not heard any word as to when that book will come out. The Crusade books are on the wish list, and I think plans are to have them one day but I dont' think any work has been done on them at all. At least O haven't seen anything on list or elsewhere. Could be wrong, though. Jan and OmahaStar/Gill-Man are a bit better connected than I on that matter.

As for buying the quote book... that was the one I really was going to skip out on. The Chronologies to me would be an excellent tool to have for understanding the whole, overall story. But once I saw the price, I capitulated and listened to the song .......
Old October 23 2008, 06:37 AM   #41
Pilot Ace
Captain

Mine came in today. I'm crazy sometimes.

I wish someone had edited Samm Barnes introduction a little more thoroughly, there's some unfortunate and obvious errors in there.
Old October 23 2008, 08:38 AM   #42
Jan
Commodore

What errors are those, Pilot Ace? I didn't notice anything glaring.

Jan
Old October 23 2008, 09:31 AM   #43
Pilot Ace
Captain

What errors are those, Pilot Ace? I didn't notice anything glaring.

Jan
Quickly skimming through it again; things like on page 14, 4th paragraph, first sentence. "and read,," with the double comma. Page 12, 3rd paragraph, last sentence with the parenthesis, " ( I never...". These aren't Earth-shattering things, but for a relatively short $20 book (largely only compiling quotes with little original material) I expect a little better.

There was similar stuff that I saw earlier but don't leap out as I skim it now (the lateness of the night is likely not helping). Pretty sure there were more instances though.

Spacing throughout the book seems a little off too. Sometimes spaces between periods seem two or three times the length of other instances. Very odd and annoying... But, I admit that may just be me.

And I don't really understand how the organization of the quotes makes sense sometimes (unless it was just compiled hastily), there are instances of a different episode's quote in-between quotes from the same episode: offhand like on pages 38-40 when a quote from "Shadow Dancing" is placed between quotes from "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"... Pages 45-46 when the quote comes from "Intersections in Real Time" to "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" back to "Intersections" and then again back to "Deconstruction" all in a row.

I'm starting to feel this particular book is not up to snuff when it comes to the quality and care placed into the others. This is especially disappointing considering the shorter length than the others, but still very similar price.

Admittedly though, I only briefly glanced at the Chronologies book and didn't take a good look at it. So, I can't really attest to the quality of that one yet.
Old October 23 2008, 12:16 PM   #44
Jan
Commodore

Ah, proofreading errors, got it. I'm the sort who doesn't notice those for the most part (though spelling errors bug me).

As for the organization of the quotes, while I wasn't directly involved, I gather that this book was somewhat harder to lay out than the script books or the Chronology book. My understanding was that an effort was made to keep the quotes easy to read on their own while not going to another page to finish the quote whenever possible. There are some occurrances when that couldn't be avoided, but the attempt was made. Since the book wasn't meant to be a definitive "these are all the cool quotes from each episode" book, I think that episode order was less of a consideration to readability.

Remember, if you don't feel that the book is worthwhile to you, there's the 30-day guarantee and I assure you they mean it. Write to help@babylon5scripts.com and they'll take care of it.

Jan
Old October 23 2008, 02:05 PM   #45
Neroon
Mod of balance

I can completely vouch for the Babylion 5 Scripts Team in their custimer service. Very pleasant and polite, excellent at updating the customer, quick to respond to questions & concerns. If there's a problem, they'll take care of it.