MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2008, 12:32 PM   #31
Chris227
Lieutenant Commander

Re: After BSG, B5, Firefly & Ds9... what's left?

There's quite a few good anime sci-fi franchises. Gundam's already been mentioned, here's a few more:

Macross/Robotech-A transforming alien ship commandeered by humans stands against a force of giant aliens, and they use transforming fighter planes and music to stop them. Sounds corny, but it is actually well executed. Macross is the original Japanese series and has spawned multiple sequels, some of which are available in the US while some aren't. Robotech, which was a translated form of Macross in the 80s, was melded with two other anime series and given a seperate continuity of sorts. It's complicated

Neon Genesis Evangelion-Apocalyptic series which revolutionized the mecha genre. Mentally unstable pilots battle mysterious 'angels'-bizzare monsters-who threathen Tokyo, but there's a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Cowboy Bebop-Or, if giant robots aren't your thing, there's this, a series which possibly influenced Firefly.
Chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 12:55 PM   #32
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

If you like Firefly, there's a better-than-even chance you'll like Buffy & Angel as well.....especially the latter. I know those of a more SF persuasion tend to have an instinctual aversion to these two for some reason, but if you give them a fair shot I think you'll find they're pretty good. They have all the same strengths as Firefly, except with monsters and magic rather than spaceships and horses.

Now, personally I watched Angel first, and then went back to Buffy. That's doable. However, you'll probably get more out of both of them if you begin with Buffy and then transition to Angel when that show spins off.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 01:08 PM   #33
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Deckula wrote: View Post
Is there anything interesting on the horizon? All these shows are either over, nearly over or not doing terribly well (Doctor Who excluded since it's sort of unique).
The remake of Survivors that's starting on BBC One soon, Charlie Booker's Dead Set starting on E4 soon, The Prisoner remake on ITV next year, Blake's 7 2 parter Sky One are doing and Clone and Being Human coming up on BBC Three, have all piqued my interest.
Dollhouse and a couple of other American shows look like they could be interesting, but none of their names are springing to mind at the minute.
Old October 10 2008, 01:27 PM   #34
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Are Sky planning to do any more Terry Pratchett stuff?
Old October 10 2008, 01:28 PM   #35
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Yup, the next one is The Truth apparently. I think.
Old October 10 2008, 01:38 PM   #36
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Yeah, Going Postal is next. David Jason isn't available so no more Rincewind ones for a couple of years.
Old October 10 2008, 01:40 PM   #37
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Fuck sake, how did I get them mixed up.
Old October 10 2008, 01:41 PM   #38
Neroon
Mod of balance

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I've seen Farscape described the way Neroon just did too many times. "It's Star Trek for the 90's (or 2000s)!", "It's a grown up Star Trek!" blah blah blah.

Star Trek was Star Trek for the 90's and the 2000's and if you want "grown up" Star Trek then watch Deep Space 9.
Every franchise has its over-the-top phase and fans that get on others' nerves - including DS9.

Star Trek was and probably still is THE franchise that represents science fiction to the general public. This isn't a matter of riding on the coattails of another show, so much as it's putting one show in terms commonly known by others. My "phraseology" was also a play on words with a well-known ad campaign in the States for Oldsmobile a little while back. The point not being a question of maturity, but rather one of a different generation. It was just a light-hearted way to post in this thread and nothing else.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 01:42 PM   #39
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Grim Squeal wrote: View Post
Fuck sake, how did I get them mixed up.
After I read your post I had to go look it up, to make sure I was right.

The channel will spend an eight-figure sum on the productions, all adaptations of books, during 2008/9. Additionally, it is setting up a £1m development fund for various other HD projects.

The first of the trio is a novel by former SAS man Chris Ryan, Strike Back, about a British military hero and a fallen war veteran now living rough in London. The pair used to know each other and are reunited by a Middle East hostage crisis. Indie Left Bank Pictures is making six hour-long episodes.

Children's book Skellig, by David Almond, is also on Sky One's list. It tells the story of a young boy called Michael, whose sister is seriously ill, and a magical creature called Skellig living in his garage. A two-hour television version is being made by Feel Films.

The third production will be previously-announced Terry Pratchett adaptation Going Postal.
Old October 10 2008, 01:44 PM   #40
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

He was on BBC Breakfast the other day. He seems to have a season ticket on BBC current affairs just now. They're using him while they still can.
Old October 10 2008, 01:50 PM   #41
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

He was on BBC Breakfast the other day. He seems to have a season ticket on BBC current affairs just now. They're using him while they still can.
Was he talking about how he can get his treatment because he can afford it, but others can't because the NHS won't pay for it? That's what they seem to have him doing every time I've seen him.
Old October 10 2008, 01:55 PM   #42
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Dunno I had to go to work. Since he's still early stage the NHS would fund his treatment.
Old October 10 2008, 02:00 PM   #43
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Dunno I had to go to work. Since he's still early stage the NHS would fund his treatment.
No, he's been on a few shows, and he was talking about how there's this treatment NICE say should only be given to late stage patients so the NHS won't fund it, but the doctors are saying it's best used in the early stages and his wife has said there's a very noticeable difference from since he started taking it.
Old October 10 2008, 02:05 PM   #44
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

That's pretty heartbreaking. Is it really that bad/far along?
Old October 10 2008, 02:09 PM   #45
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Grim Squeal wrote: View Post
That's pretty heartbreaking. Is it really that bad/far along?
From what I've seen of him on shows lately, no not really. He says he's still writing a number of books, and the treatment he's on is helping. . He said he has his bad days, but he still seems to be pretty jovial about it.