Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 9 2008, 09:36 PM   #16
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Babylon 5 quotebook is finally here!

Bad Roon Rising wrote: View Post
brains! wrote: View Post

Is Cafe Press the only source for these?
Yes.

The script books are no longer in print, at least the ones by jms.
Psst ... September 30th was last week ...
Old October 9 2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Shadowbolt
Vice Admiral

I just bought the quotes and chronology books.

The script books were too expensive for my tastes, anyway.
Old October 9 2008, 11:23 PM   #18
Neroon
Mod of balance

brains! wrote: View Post
I just bought the quotes and chronology books.

The script books were too expensive for my tastes, anyway.
The Chronologies have been especially fascinating ever since I saw that first installment in the magazine. I cobbled my own in text form, but it has nowhere near the detail and accuracy of Jones' project. Even Marc Carlson's, which is more direct, is quite an achievement. I just plain do not have the discipline to create and maintain a project of this size to this level of detail.

The Gill-Man wrote: View Post
Psst ... September 30th was last week ...
Pssst ... I know, but I was at work earlier and couldn't verify the final date for Other Voices
Old October 10 2008, 04:43 AM   #19
Neroon
Mod of balance

OKay, I gave in... when I saw the price it was going for - including the $5 discount - I couldn't resist. And the JMS essays will no doubt be very entertaining. Plus it does seem like it's going to be well organized.

Old October 10 2008, 04:57 AM   #20
V
Commodore

the problem is, while B5 was an okay show.....no one talks like that

its full of shakespearean histrionics

that is, rather than "being profound" its full of lots of qoutes TRYING to sound "profound", trying really hard

again, I point to "Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning" in which Pirk ultimately beats up the Babylon5 guy in the middle of yet another long-winded speech.

I mean, I know people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on framed copies of the "Declaration of Principles"; and you know what? I think its just empty recycled rhetoric, rather than anything "profound" (on top of that, I don't believe it was correct on a more than "four legs good two legs bad" principle

problem is when characters shift from being "characters" to "a mouthpiece for a quote I came up with but couldn't organically integrate into the series"

further....this is a show that ended almost a decade ago
Old October 10 2008, 05:25 AM   #21
Jan
Commodore

V wrote: View Post
I mean, I know people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on framed copies of the "Declaration of Principles";
and you know what? I think its just empty recycled rhetoric, rather than anything "profound" (on top of that, I don't believe it was correct on a more than "four legs good two legs bad" principle
* We are one.
* We must be kind to one another.
Whole religions have been based on similar principles. I don't see much to argue about. I don't undersand your analogy, either, though.

So? Obviously these quotes mean something to people. In fact, this quote book is based on the quotes fans sent in that meant something to them. Over on the JMSnews forums there's a quote thread that's over 2800 posts long. Why? Because the show and what it had to say means something to people. And at the risk of dragging up one of those quotes, humans form communities.

B5 has been over for 10 years. The original Star Trek has been over for over 3 decades. When a show touches people, gives them things to think about, to talk about, it doesn't really matter that it's over, the meaning is still there.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 05:39 AM   #22
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I must admit, having quotes on hand as a reference to some key episodes is pretty interesting. I'm not sure if I'll ever write a paper on B5, but it would make it much easier.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 01:02 PM   #23
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I'll only say this: "What is built endures. And what is loved endures. And Babylon 5... Babylon 5 endures."
Old October 10 2008, 01:05 PM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
ok, so what are you looking for in response?
Maybe a thank you?
The dude's just relaying useful information. Something wrong with that?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2008, 01:51 PM   #25
Neroon
Mod of balance

I'll only say this: "What is built endures. And what is loved endures. And Babylon 5... Babylon 5 endures."
- nicely played.

V, so much of the points you made can easily be made about so many other franchises. You obviously are not a fan of B5, which is perfectly fine and good. This book isn't aimed at you but at those people who ARE fans, and so to many of them it's money well spent.

I agree that there are some B5 items that seem too much, even to me. The "Declaration..." being one of them. It would be quite simple to create a similar product on your own. Then again, for every Babyloniac who spends $100 for that framed item, there's a Trek fan paying hundreds of dollars for a costume, a Dr. Who fan laying out similar coinage to attend a convention, and plenty more where those came from.
Old October 10 2008, 02:07 PM   #26
Jan
Commodore

Though I sincerely hope this volume is still the success that the other books have been, I'm actually going to pass on this one. The primary reason is because I've put together my own collection of quotes. Not that it's superior in any way, of course. One thing I wasn't sure about, will these quotes be only for those scripts that jms wrote, or does it include material from other script writers?
Everything Babylon 5 is open. That's what they said 7 years ago when this was started. It's not limited to just jms. Heck, it wasn't limited to just the series proper, it also had the movies and Crusade.

I'll have my copy, that's for darn sure. I've been wanting this since it was announced in 2001.
So have I.

Keep in mind that while this book started 7 years ago, the end product may not be the same as was planned back then and it was never intended to be a definitive work. What it is, is the favorite quotes from B5 (not including Crusade) chosen by fans who wrote in when JMS asked for them.

The Gill-Man wrote:
Yeah, what you quoted!

Jan
Old October 10 2008, 02:17 PM   #27
V
Commodore

* We are one.
No. Wrong. have you forgotten?:
"I am pleased to see that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us." --(image of) Surak, "The Savage Curtain", TOS
the whole "we are one" BS it was spouting in there was just trying to sound profound, when in reality, it goes against IDIC: further, the ENTIRE speech can be boiled down to the very two generalized plot points you just made; it's not profound, its naive Dudley-do-right morality passed off as profound
Old October 10 2008, 02:40 PM   #28
OmahaStar

V, so much of the points you made can easily be made about so many other franchises. You obviously are not a fan of B5, which is perfectly fine and good. This book isn't aimed at you but at those people who ARE fans, and so to many of them it's money well spent.
Now, now, Draco. Come, let's not feed the trolls.

Jan - No Crusade? Why not? I can't help but think that any type of "Crusade Quotes" would end up as a pamphlet, not a book. Guess that leaves some of my submissions out.

And mine's ordered.
Old October 10 2008, 02:58 PM   #29
Jan
Commodore

* We are one.
No. Wrong. have you forgotten?:
"I am pleased to see that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us." --(image of) Surak, "The Savage Curtain", TOS
the whole "we are one" BS it was spouting in there was just trying to sound profound, when in reality, it goes against IDIC:
"We are one" doesn't meen "We are the same". In fact, a good bit of the Declaration is taken up by enumerating our differences.

My interpretation of the B5 "We are one" is along the lines of what Delenn said once:
We believe that the universe itself is conscious, in a way we can never
truly understand. It is engaged in the search for meaning. So it...
breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of
life. We are the universe trying to understand itself.

That's my interpretation only but one I like. YMMV and that fits in nicely with the IDIC philosophy.
further, the ENTIRE speech can be boiled down to the very two generalized plot points you just made; it's not profound, its naive Dudley-do-right morality passed off as profound
I don't require my truths or my priciples or my morals to be complex. Quite the opposite, in fact. If more people just weighed their actions by whether it's kind, whether it's the way they'd like to be treated, perhaps the world would be a better place. The fact that the Declaration is quite poetic is lagniappe, not the substance it's trying to convey.

Because each voice enriches us and enobles us. And each voice lost diminishes us.
That seems to be in harmony with IDIC to me.

Jan
Old October 10 2008, 05:13 PM   #30
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
ok, so what are you looking for in response?
Maybe a thank you?
The dude's just relaying useful information. Something wrong with that?
Forbin-lighten up. It was a literal question-I wasn't sure what kind of response(if any) the OP was expecting. Don't be such a troll. Debate is healthy but being contrary just to start a fight is silly and pointless.

And have a nice day.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote