Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 9 2008, 02:31 AM   #1
PhoenixIreland
Captain

Q Who Slice...

Were the people in that slice of the Ent-D the borg cut out assimilated? to give the borg a taste for humans? See if they added to perfection?
PhoenixIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 03:39 AM   #2
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Re: Q Who Slice...

They were vented into space.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

PhoenixIreland wrote: View Post
Were the people in that slice of the Ent-D the borg cut out assimilated? to give the borg a taste for humans? See if they added to perfection?
At the time the episode was written, assimilation hadn't been conceived yet; Q states that the Borg have no interest in people, only technology, and Riker finds that the drones are incubated from infancy. So no doubt Maurice Hurley's assumption was that those 18 people had died. In retrospect, however, it's logical to assume that at least some of them were assimilated, just like the multiple other assimilated Alpha-Quadrant individuals seen in VGR.

In my recent TNG novel Greater Than the Sum, I confirmed that at least one of those 18 people was assimilated and ultimately liberated in "Unimatrix Zero."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Lt_Wandrey
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to Lt_Wandrey

Some of them were at the wrong place at the wrong time and could've gotten sucked out into space or killed as the beam sliced through the ship. I agree if there were any survivors from all that they were probably assimilated right away.
Old October 9 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Lt_Wandrey wrote: View Post
Some of them were at the wrong place at the wrong time and could've gotten sucked out into space or killed as the beam sliced through the ship.
Unless the cylindrical beam that extracted them was also a containment field holding in the atmosphere. The Borg may have wanted them alive for study and/or assimilation.

Old October 9 2008, 07:56 PM   #6
PhoenixIreland
Captain

I was watching a you tube clip of it and even though assimilation had not been added to the storyline at this stage it's really the only thing that makes sense to me. Why else would they cut a section out of the crew quarters? Theres no valuable technology there.

I assumed that because the tractor beam seemed really tight around the cut out section it was also acting as a forcefield keeping the air in.

I can just imagine some poor bastard walking into his living room after a shower and suddenly his quarters are in space surrounded by a forcefield being sucked towards some giant borg cube
Old October 10 2008, 01:53 AM   #7
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It was always my asumption that it was because of the Borg and that slice of the ship that they started assimilating. They had those 18 people, decided to hook them up to the network and then gained Starfleet's sense of "assimilation" of cultures. Which is mostly what it is they seem to do. (Though less severely than the Borg do) And Starfleet has a sense of trying to "perfect" themselves and unify the galaxy under those protections.

So the strong ideals drilled into the heads of those 18 Starfleet/Federation officers infected the Borg so they went out and did just that and took the idea too far.

It was perfect and harmonious. Beautiful, really.

Then Voyager came and fucked that notion all up.
Old October 10 2008, 04:16 AM   #8
PhoenixIreland
Captain

Shrekker4747 wrote: View Post
It was always my asumption that it was because of the Borg and that slice of the ship that they started assimilating. They had those 18 people, decided to hook them up to the network and then gained Starfleet's sense of "assimilation" of cultures. Which is mostly what it is they seem to do. (Though less severely than the Borg do) And Starfleet has a sense of trying to "perfect" themselves and unify the galaxy under those protections.

So the strong ideals drilled into the heads of those 18 Starfleet/Federation officers infected the Borg so they went out and did just that and took the idea too far.

It was perfect and harmonious. Beautiful, really.

Then Voyager came and fucked that notion all up.
Thats a very interesting theory, I was gonna ask if voyagers flashbacks messed with that but you answerd that in your last line
Old October 10 2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Or...they just sliced out a random chunk to have a look at what they were about to "consume". It was just a taste.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 03:57 AM   #10
billcosby
Commodore

I thought for sure Voyager had run into plenty of borg that were former Federation members, linking to TNG episodes.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:25 AM   #11
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Or...they just sliced out a random chunk to have a look at what they were about to "consume". It was just a taste.
Hors d’oeuvres?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

billcosby wrote: View Post
I thought for sure Voyager had run into plenty of borg that were former Federation members, linking to TNG episodes.
Several, yes. Riley from "Unity" and Laura from "Unimatrix Zero" were taken at Wolf 359. Marika in "Survival Instinct" was taken from the Excalibur in an unspecified instance that could've been Wolf 359. Seven recovered the memories of a couple of Starfleet personnel in "Infinite Regress," including at least one Wolf 359 participant as well as an ensign from the starship Tombaugh, which was assimilated with its entire crew in 2362, several years before the official first contact in "Q Who." We also met a Romulan ex-drone in "Unity" and an assimilated Klingon general in "Unimatrix Zero." So there were no specific links to any TNG episodes other than BoBW.

Old October 11 2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Sheliak
Commodore

A cellular peptide cake, with mint frosting.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Hors d’oeuvres?
Drone: "Hey, I love these new snacks! Crunchy on the outside and a chewy center!"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Hors d’oeuvres?
On the Borg scale, I think it barely qualifies as an amuse bouche.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote