Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2008, 06:30 PM   #31
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to RyanKCR
Re: THE HAPPENING - Holy mother of Christ, it's unwatchable.

Haven't seen it yet or Lady in the Water. I've seen and like all the others but I thought the Village was his best and unbreakable was the weakest.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 06:57 PM   #32
Goji
Rear Admiral

Yeah, not likely to see this. Of his films, I've only seen Unbreakable, which was alright, and Signs, which I hated. Meh, oh well.
Old October 6 2008, 08:23 PM   #33
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I think it's amusing they split the Day of the Triffids remake into two seperate movies, THE HAPPENING and BLINDNESS.

THE HAPPENING comments SPOILERS galore:

- The contrived way that someone has to be on a cell phone with someone in New Jersey so Zooey and Wahlberg can find out (or assume correctly) that some they know there has perished.

- The army guy who, unlike every other person who commits suicide, talks as he does it. WTF?

- The odd thing that one person seems unaffected at the beginning and the end, while everyone else freezes as their minds set into self-killbot mode.

- The guns popping out windows bit...some called it...it was a pure Looney Tunes moment.

-That millions are dead afterward is never shown with any impact beyond some scientist guy talking on t.v. that this was a warning.

-Some sort of Michael Bay homage that Paris is the next target.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 08:27 PM   #34
M
Vice Admiral

I liked it. But I also loved The Village and Lady in the Water. What now? Will I get banned?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 08:29 PM   #35
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Unfortunately.
Old October 6 2008, 08:32 PM   #36
Dream
Admiral

RIP-1701 wrote: View Post
I liked it. But I also loved The Village and Lady in the Water. What now? Will I get banned?
Ban him!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 08:32 PM   #37
Forbin
Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I think it's amusing they split the Day of the Triffids remake into two seperate movies, THE HAPPENING and BLINDNESS.
OMG You're right!

Well, this definitely decides me to skip it!
I pretty much hate Marky-Mark and everything about him, so that was strike one.
The very little I've seen Zoey in, I thought she was a wooden and blank-staring mannequin, so, two.

Oddly enough, I think Zoey's much prettier than her sister (and I'm a big Bones fan), but Emily seems to be able to act rings around Blinky. For one thing, Emily gets expressions!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 08:37 PM   #38
Dream
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Oddly enough, I think Zoey's much prettier than her sister (and I'm a big Bones fan), but Emily seems to be able to act rings around Blinky. For one thing, Emily gets expressions!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 08:47 PM   #39
Jax
Admiral

Never watched all of Sixth Sense and because I know the ending I don't think I'll bother to pick it up again. Unbreakable and Signs are good however he ruined his name with the 2nd half of Village and my god that lady in the water was just poor.
Old October 8 2008, 06:28 AM   #40
Orintho
Vice Admiral

where he reveals how little he knows about science and how little he even understands the history of science.
Ah, this explains a lot. I actually liked 'Signs' barring the whole alien allergy to water thing. And the set-up for 'The Village' was just too ridiculous to believe.
Old October 8 2008, 09:57 AM   #41
Starkers
Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Never watched all of Sixth Sense and because I know the ending I don't think I'll bother to pick it up again. Unbreakable and Signs are good however he ruined his name with the 2nd half of Village and my god that lady in the water was just poor.
That's the trouble with the 6th Sense, everyone focuses on the twist and kinda ignores the fact that the rest of the film is actually a very tense, very scary and intelligent horror film. If anything the twist lets the film down for me (especially as I saw it coming from about 2 minutes in!) Watching the bits where Haley Joel encounters ghosts in his apartment/school etc are incredibly tense, same with Bryce Dallas Howard stalked in the woods in The Village. There was none of that tension in The Happening, it didn't even feel like MNS had directed it.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2008, 10:33 AM   #42
stonester1
Rear Admiral

MNS. I really enjoy his films. Like us, he loves genre material, and he brings a unique take to genre material, off the beaten path. IMO, this is a very welcome thing and should be encouraged in filmdom. I hate the same ol' same ol'.

Signs-LOVED it.

Unbreakable-IMO, his best film.

Signs-Very interesting, enjoyed it.

The Village-A mixed bag, but very old school, almost Twilight Zone. Good.

Lady In The Water-A deep (pun intended) urban fantasy on the power of myth, the imagination and the importance of storytellers. I agree. Liked it.

Haven't seen The Happening. Call me crazy, but I enjoy his stuff. Perhaps he should take a Lucas tip and colaborate more on his stuff, but I think he's a great idea man, and you can count on his films not being the same rehashed crap from Hollywood.
Old October 8 2008, 10:35 AM   #43
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Stalkers wrote: View Post
That's the trouble with the 6th Sense, everyone focuses on the twist and kinda ignores the fact that the rest of the film is actually a very tense, very scary and intelligent horror film. If anything the twist lets the film down for me (especially as I saw it coming from about 2 minutes in!) Watching the bits where Haley Joel encounters ghosts in his apartment/school etc are incredibly tense, same with Bryce Dallas Howard stalked in the woods in The Village. There was none of that tension in The Happening, it didn't even feel like MNS had directed it.
I haven't seen The Happening yet. It may indeed suck. But I'm with you on his prev films.

And I honestly didn't see the twist coming. But for the most part, I don't sit there and try to predict how a story is going to go. I just let it come as it comes.

I find I enjoy movies more that way.
Old October 8 2008, 02:15 PM   #44
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I really enjoy the movie Signs. Most supernatural scary movies don't freak me out cause I don't believe in vampires, werewolves or ghosts but I do believe in aliens so anything with aliens in it being creeps scare the shit out of me.
Old October 8 2008, 03:25 PM   #45
Mr Light
Admiral

I found SIGNS to be terrifying; those two brief glimpses of the alien in the corn field and on the barn roof, *shudder*. Aliens freak me out. Aliens and bigfoot and ghosts. Anything that's near-human. The uncanny valley and all that.

I did find VILLAGE pretty scary until they spoiled the monsters.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote