TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 6 2008, 04:56 PM   #1096
JWolf
Commodore

Re: Destiny trilogy - speculations

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Got mine today!
Got Destiny Book 1: Gods of the Night today as an eBook for my Sony Reader. I look forward to starting it later today.
Old October 6 2008, 05:07 PM   #1097
danjamesb
Commander

Xeris wrote: View Post
All British chain book stores, Borders, Books Etc, Waterstones (incorporating Ottakars) and WHSmith, have about a shelf and a half of Star Trek books
Dunno where you live, then; my local WHSmith has a lone copy of Kobayashi Maru, and the two branches of Waterstone's in my town have one Captain Kirk's Guide to Women between them!

(Always plenty of other tie-in stuff, though. S'only Trek that's sparse, in my experience.)
danjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 05:32 PM   #1098
JWolf
Commodore

ronny wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
Sxottlan wrote: View Post
A Borders near me still did not have it as of today. That's pretty bad.
All part and parcel of Borders' own economic implosion. Basically, they have neither the cash nor the available credit to order new inventory, and are falling behind on many new titles.
Not surprising, I feel like they are the freaking Starbucks of the book world. There are 3 of them within walking distance of my work.
Where my wife works, there are two Borders in walking distances and a Barnes & Nobels as well.
Old October 6 2008, 05:34 PM   #1099
JWolf
Commodore

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Easons-The main Irish booksellers chain seem to have stopped stocking Star Trek titles too.As for the independents...forget about it.Finding new ST titles is next to impossible.
What you could do is get a Sony Reader PRS-505 and then you could get them as eBooks and it would not matter what your local shops have or not.
Old October 6 2008, 05:50 PM   #1100
JAG
Vice Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
Easons-The main Irish booksellers chain seem to have stopped stocking Star Trek titles too.As for the independents...forget about it.Finding new ST titles is next to impossible.
What you could do is get a Sony Reader PRS-505 and then you could get them as eBooks and it would not matter what your local shops have or not.
Or have you thought about asking the store to special order it for you? Most places are willing to do that.
Old October 6 2008, 09:01 PM   #1101
Bec
Commander

The Easons on O'Connell Street has about a shelf and a half of Star Trek books. They keep it updated too, it was the first place I saw Fearful Symmetry. Hodges Fidges, Waterstones and Chapters have a selection too. And then of course there's Forbidden Planet. However, it is annoying to have to trek into town to pick up a book.

The only other option is Borders in Blanchardstown but that too is a journey in itself.

I'm hoping that the trend may change, once the new film is released, like it did with Star Wars.

Currently Reading: Star Trek The Next Generation: Losing The Peace by William Leisner
Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 10:15 PM   #1102
flandry84
Captain

/\Sorry Bec,you seem to have been issued with one of those maps of the greater Dublin area,with the caption underneath that reads "Ireland".
There is life in the provinces,(not necessarily intelligent though).
As for asking the clerk,well,I'm a man in my 40's,my ST book buying habits are rather furtive anyway.
Thanks guys,I'll manage.

Last edited by flandry84; October 6 2008 at 10:27 PM.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 12:16 AM   #1103
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

/\Sorry Bec,you seem to have been issued with one of those maps of the greater Dublin area,with the caption underneath that reads "Ireland".
As you do not state where in the Emerald Isle you are, that comment was uncalled for, anyway, isn't everyone living over there in Dublin as you all left because of lack of potatoes
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 03:19 PM   #1104
JD
Admiral

I just wanted to let everyone know that Trekmovie.com has posted an excerpt from the second Destiny book: Mere Mortals.
Old October 7 2008, 04:32 PM   #1105
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Thanks
Old October 7 2008, 04:52 PM   #1106
Reanok
Commodore

After just finishing reading the Mere Mortals excerpt I'll definitely be getting the last 2 books in this series.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 05:37 PM   #1107
Bec
Commander

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
As you do not state where in the Emerald Isle you are, that comment was uncalled for, anyway, isn't everyone living over there in Dublin as you all left because of lack of potatoes
Thanks for that, dimesdan! Last time I try to help someone out. However, on the same note, I know you didn't mean it in a bad way, but I didn't find the potatoes comment funny. Next thing you know, someone will mention leprechauns...

Currently Reading: Star Trek The Next Generation: Losing The Peace by William Leisner
Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 07:10 PM   #1108
Lonemagpie
Writer

Well, there's one line - that first two-sentence bit of italics about half a page in - that gives me completely the wrong ideas!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 07:21 PM   #1109
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I read some but that is too spoiler heavy for me. I'll read the book in a few weeks, and will enjoy it immensely.

I'm going to wait until I have all three and read them back to back.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2008, 07:57 PM   #1110
flandry84
Captain

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

Double huh?
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote