Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2008, 06:48 AM   #16
Dream
Admiral

Re: THE HAPPENING - Holy mother of Christ, it's unwatchable.

Kelso wrote: View Post
The only redeeming aspect of this film was seeing Zooey Deschanel's eyes on the big screen.
Her sister that stars on Bones is hotter.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No she isn't.

I loved it that it was all about bees right at about the same time Doctor Who and Jerry Seinfeld were also going on about bees. I wondered who would be stupid enough not to pick up on that right at the beginning?

Unexplainable my ass.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 07:33 AM   #18
gottacook
Commander

"...some sort of Indian film wunderkind" above: Not really a fair characterization for someone who grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs (and still works there).

NOTE: Although I've read many entertaining things about Shyamalan and his movies, I've never seen one (except for the first 5-6 minutes of a TV cut of The Sixth Sense, and that was only 2 weeks ago.)
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 07:55 AM   #19
I am not Spock
Commodore

I had the extreme misfortune of watching the excreble 'Lady in the Water' recently. I'm glad I passed on 'The Happening'.

MNS has never been all that, in my eyes. Sixth Sense wasn't bad, but when you've seen the 'twist', there's no need to rewatch the movie. 'Unwatchable' was like watching paint dry. 'Signs' was too annoyingly ham-fisted in its religious message for my liking, and 'The Village' was a pile of drivel.

Oh, but Zooey's eyes are indeed very pleasing. I think she's hotter than her sister, Dream!
Old October 6 2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Glad I avoided that one. Opinion on when his previous films became unwatchable seams to be divided (personally I liked The Village more than Signs) but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually enjoying 'Lady in the Water'. After that, I thought it wise to pass on 'The Happening'. A pity, since it bodes ill for the Avatar movie. In other hands that might have been a good film.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Glad I avoided that one. Opinion on when his previous films became unwatchable seams to be divided (personally I liked The Village more than Signs) but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually enjoying 'Lady in the Water'. After that, I thought it wise to pass on 'The Happening'. A pity, since it bodes ill for the Avatar movie. In other hands that might have been a good film.
Best tear Aang and his bunch right out of MNS hands. This guy is the Elmyra Duff of directors - the powers might think they're cool, but no one else can stand to see them or even hear their name.
Old October 6 2008, 02:16 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I liked Lady in the Water, maybe I was in a charitable mood because it was just on HBO and I didn't have to seek it out or whatever but I thought it was a neat urban fantasy that I hadn't really seen before in live action. It didn't hurt that I was rather captivated by Bryce Dallas Howard. Not too say that I couldn't see where it was self-indulgent and a bit of an F-U to the critics but I did like it.

I have found all of his films interesting (haven't seen The Village) and not a waste of time seeing. I liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable outright. I think Signs was a good movie, had he worked a little longer on the logic holes it would have been much better regarded.

I think as he's gone on that he's become more insular and the films seem to have suffered as a result but they have provided some interesting results. I've heard nothing but bad things about The Happening and I don't disbelieve them but I'm probably going to end up checking this out against better judgment.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 02:41 PM   #23
Mr Light
Admiral

The Happening was HILARIOUS! I laughed my ass off the entire way through. The pretentious seriousness of the bland lifeless characters... the hilarious way people died (the lion was the best, OMG I was in tears)... running from the wind...

SPOILERS FOR ENDING
Not to mention the ending where Marky Mark decides to run out and die because he didn't want to be in the cabin alone, so what does Zooey do? She ALSO runs out to die, AND TAKES THE KID WITH HER! Nice little suicide pact there. And the insane old woman who sleeps with the little girl doll... and the ending suggestion that the plants were actually attacking George W Bush... LOL...

SIGNS is my favorite Shyguy movie, the only one I thought completely worked. VILLAGE was terrifying until the twist, which is half dumb half clever, so I'm vaguely positive on it. SIXTH SENSE was just there for me. UNBREAKABLE was slow and boring but also a comic book so it gets a neutral. LADY WATER was god awfully pretentious but watchable (Shyguy's character will save the world in the future! wheee!).

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Starkers
Admiral

I think the thing that bothered me most about the Happening is not so much how terrible it is, but how badly filmed it is. Whatever you think of his films (and I kinda go up and down) the man can direct tension very well, and his films always look good and are usually well acted. The Happening didn't even have these elements to make up for a ludicrous plot! It seemed to be filmed and acted like a bad TV movie.

I really think that (if he's ever let near a film again) then he should either direct someone else's script or else write a script that someone else directs.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 03:09 PM   #25
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Shyamalan is going slowly downhill in a Woody Allen-ish way. Starting with The Village (in my opinion), he is plummeting. I thought The Happening (read my review here) was a tad better than Lady in the Water, but that isn't saying much.

He may do better with his next Avatar movie, which at least is based on someone else's story. His last three story ideas have been good concepts but very weak in narrative.
Old October 6 2008, 04:11 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

I've been thinking lately that Mr. Shamalamadingdong would do better directing other people's scripts and stop trying to write by himself.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 04:26 PM   #27
zenophite
Rear Admiral

The one thing I think that was commendable about the movie was that it went against the Spielberg ethic of making the kids untouchable - the scene with the two kids getting shot could have been powerful if a) the unintentional comedic content had not already totally killed this movie and b) the scene's set up made it obvious that the kids were going to get killed so it was not even a surprise.

This whole movie would have done better to mislead and confuse the audience as to what was actually happening and play on fears and paranoia instead of having crazy gardner guy just declare that the plants were doing it and marky-mark just decide he was right.
Old October 6 2008, 04:44 PM   #28
nx1701g
Admiral

Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
We have a Professor in our department who loves this movie. He has the poster hanging in his office and its signed by Mark Wahlberg. All I can do is laugh every time I see it.
Please tell me it's not a film department. Please.
No, he's a History Professor focusing on Latin America.
Old October 6 2008, 04:54 PM   #29
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I saw this film in the theater opening weekend to avoid the spoilers that would eventually spill out into media. It is easily one of the worst movies I've paid to see in recent times; and there is so much wrong with it I wouldn't even know where to begin ...

...maybe I do actually: Wahlberg being badly miscast as the mild mannered teacher. His acting choice was to recite lines as if he were doing a guest spot on Sesame Street. This amused the audience (as noted, in all the wrong places) to no end. It also jettisoned any chance of the back story of his rocky relationship with Daschanel working. It just came across as painfully funny as they went through the motions. And key suspense moments, such as his working through solutions to the problem using grade school logic (literally, the grade school logic he taught in class), just became sit-comish.

Desperate for something - anything - with menace, the story randomly throws in the very crazy old woman using quick cut camera work and jolting soundtrack cues instead of delivering something that was actually scary. Or made sense. Or moved the story along. Or was not plain crap.

And the plants. If the story would have worked, perhaps many of the "scary" visual cues would have worked. But since this was a farce of a film, we were given plants gently blowing in the breeze and that was supposed to increased the adrenaline. In fact it only increased the laughs.

In fairness, there were two set pieces at the start which worked quite well visually: the park and the construction site. But he went to that well too often too quickly in following scenes, and the entire affair descended quickly into a steaming pile.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 06:07 PM   #30
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Well, me, my brother and my buddy that came along with us on opening night enjoyed the movie.

So I guess 3 people out there feel they didn't waste their money.

(Hated The Village, enjoyed Lady in the Water, really liked Unbreakable, and LOVED Signs, for a barometer of where my likes for his movies are)
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote