Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 2 2008, 12:57 PM   #1081
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel
Re: Destiny trilogy - speculations

William Leisner wrote: View Post
When does BookWatch 2 begin?

A week from today at approximately noon EST. .
Old October 3 2008, 09:21 AM   #1082
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

David Mack wrote: View Post
All part and parcel of Borders' own economic implosion. Basically, they have neither the cash nor the available credit to order new inventory, and are falling behind on many new titles.
I had not heard anything like that, but I did notice when they scaled back their music section recently.

It's possible they had copies stacked farther back on the shelf. When I was looking for the last Terok Nor book, I actually had to pull all of the old books off the shelf to find the new one in the back. Unbelievable. Does seem like I've had to go to B&N more lately to get the Trek books.

That's not counting the recent spat of books arriving with covers either chipped, scuffed up or with some unidentifiable coating on them.

Although they're not the only ones that seem to have such a sparse number of new releases. For being such an apparent titanic undertaking, the Barnes & Noble near me had a grand total of three copies of Gods of Night. Three. Well, two now after I got done with them.
The Crimson Shadow: ***
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2008, 12:45 AM   #1083
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Amazon.de shipped my copy yesterday, so I should have it on Saturday (today's a national holiday) or Monday at the latest.
Old October 4 2008, 04:38 AM   #1084
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

There are copies on the shelves of Indigo book stores in Toronto, and have been since earlier this week.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 02:36 AM   #1085
nx1701g
Admiral

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
A Borders near me still did not have it as of today. That's pretty bad.
All part and parcel of Borders' own economic implosion. Basically, they have neither the cash nor the available credit to order new inventory, and are falling behind on many new titles.

Yes, just what I was hoping for — an economic crisis and a distribution fiasco just in time for the release of my trilogy.
At mine you have to actually order Trek titles now. They no longer stock anything Trek related.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 02:42 AM   #1086
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

At mine you have to actually order Trek titles now. They no longer stock anything Trek related.
That blows. My local Borders received three copies of Gods of Night. Despite having one on order through work -- which I won't have for three more weeks, despite already paying for it -- I bought it when it saw it.

So Dave's getting two copies bought from me.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 05:45 AM   #1087
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
A Borders near me still did not have it as of today. That's pretty bad.
Not surprising, I feel like they are the freaking Starbucks of the book world. There are 3 of them within walking distance of my work.
Old October 5 2008, 06:30 AM   #1088
nx1701g
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That blows. My local Borders received three copies of Gods of Night. Despite having one on order through work -- which I won't have for three more weeks, despite already paying for it -- I bought it when it saw it.

The bad thing has been watching the progression over the last six or seven years.

Seven years ago they had an entire case devoted to Star Trek novels and one shelf devoted to Star Wars. About four years ago those shelves were even. Now Trek is down to one shelf and Star Wars the full bookcase (well progressing further its now Star Wars only on that case)

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 09:42 AM   #1089
tenmei
Fleet Captain

If anyone sees Mere Mortals in Texas, let me know. Just discovered that my stepmoms there so it might be worth getting her to pick up my copy and post it to me when she gets back to the UK.
Old October 5 2008, 06:41 PM   #1090
JD
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

The bad thing has been watching the progression over the last six or seven years.

Seven years ago they had an entire case devoted to Star Trek novels and one shelf devoted to Star Wars. About four years ago those shelves were even. Now Trek is down to one shelf and Star Wars the full bookcase (well progressing further its now Star Wars only on that case)
Same here, it seems like every time I go to the nearby Barnes & Noble they have even less Trek books. The Borders Trek supply is going down too, but it doesn't seem to be happening quite as quick. Althought I think that might be due to a difference in shelf size more than anything.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 08:44 PM   #1091
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

All British chain book stores, Borders, Books Etc, Waterstones (incorporating Ottakars) and WHSmith, have about a shelf and a half of Star Trek books, and most of the independents carry none. The only place with a large collection, ie more than a shelf and a half, is Forbidden Planet.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 08:54 PM   #1092
flandry84
Captain

Easons-The main Irish booksellers chain seem to have stopped stocking Star Trek titles too.As for the independents...forget about it.Finding new ST titles is next to impossible.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 09:49 PM   #1093
captcalhoun
Admiral

Xeris wrote: View Post
All British chain book stores, Borders, Books Etc, Waterstones (incorporating Ottakars) and WHSmith, have about a shelf and a half of Star Trek books, and most of the independents carry none. The only place with a large collection, ie more than a shelf and a half, is Forbidden Planet.
my local WH Smiths don't stock ANY Trek or Wars novels. the best you get is some Bear, Pratchett and Eddings.

the local indie bookshop however, will order in anything you want and, last i checked, had a case of mixed SF&F. mostly old Trek and Wars and Original SF&F
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2008, 10:46 PM   #1094
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

For the older Trek novels, there's my local SF&F bookshop which has about 4-5 shelves of books. Birthday money usually disappears there

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2008, 06:03 AM   #1095
JD
Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Xeris wrote: View Post
my local WH Smiths don't stock ANY Trek or Wars novels. the best you get is some Bear, Pratchett and Eddings.

the local indie bookshop however, will order in anything you want and, last i checked, had a case of mixed SF&F. mostly old Trek and Wars and Original SF&F
Wow, no Star Wars, that's a first. Almost all the bookstores I've been to have had at least 5 or 6 rows of Star Wars books. But I'm also in the US, so that might be where the difference is.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote