RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 487
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 69.08%
Above Average 35 23.03%
Average 8 5.26%
Below Average 2 1.32%
Poor 2 1.32%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1 2008, 08:26 PM   #91
wew
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

my response was based on t-shirts that I used to see variations of the motto for the various Special forces type units, such as Delta Force, Green Berets, Seals, etc.
wew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 09:36 PM   #92
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Thank you all!
Old October 2 2008, 02:46 PM   #93
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

SciFiChick wrote: View Post
The Troi subplot had me riled up a bit.
Ree's diagnosis of the underlying genetic problems is fine. However, there's not reason why the problems should be insurmountable in creating a viable ovum. And I'm calling bullshit on his final diagnosis.

First, okay, Troi has mitochondrial DNA damage. Are there no other Betazoids aboard the Titan that a mitochondria could be borrowed from? Or does the Titan's shipboard computer not have a sequencing of Betazoid mitochondrial DNA? Given that mitochondrial DNA is the most stable across populations, using another Betazoid's mitochondria (or rebuilding it from an established baseline, since Ree says that he can, in fact, rebuild DNA) should be feasible.

Second, the corruption of Deanna's ova DNA. Ree says that he can't rebuild that, because he doesn't know what to rebuild it to. The problem is that Deanna has a fuckload of cells in her body with the standard template. (Use the DNA out of the intestine, like "Up the Long Ladder.") I find it impossible to believe that by the 24th-century Federation medical science can't take a cell and induce meiosis upon its genetic material.

So, I'm forced to draw one or two conclusions. Either it's the Voyager problem -- technobabble for technobabble's sake to confuse the issue with nonsense -- or Dr. Ree is simply unwilling to help Deanna Troi. Given the conversation Ree and Vale have later, the latter is entirely possible, but I can't dismiss the former.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 03:26 PM   #94
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Hold on... you're protesting the use of bad science in the book... and then you're pointing to the science used in "Up the Long Ladder"???
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 03:42 PM   #95
Idoliside
Commander

Finished it. Fantastic read, although def setting things up for the next books. Another month to wait...
Idoliside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 03:48 PM   #96
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Hold on... you're protesting the use of bad science in the book... and then you're pointing to the science used in "Up the Long Ladder"???
Except that the science in "Up the Long Ladder" is basically correct -- digestive tract cells turn over fairly rapidly.

Even without that, there's enough genetic material in Deanna Troi that Ree could assemble a working genetic sequence for her that he could then rip apart.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 04:02 PM   #97
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

I'm sorry.. I still get nervous spasms thinking about the "science" used in that episode...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 06:15 PM   #98
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

I never feel like I've done my job as a Star Trek author until Allyn Gibson swoops in to take a huge post facto dump on my work. Now I can rest easy. Thank you, Allyn.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 06:19 PM   #99
TerriO
Writer-type human

David Mack wrote: View Post
I never feel like I've done my job as a Star Trek author until Allyn Gibson swoops in to take a huge post facto dump on my work. Now I can rest easy. Thank you, Allyn.

Dude, you haven't figured out by now that your friends are the least likely people to kiss your ass?
Old October 2 2008, 06:38 PM   #100
SciFiChick
Ensign

Now I have to wait another month before discussing the big happenings in Mere Mortals.
This is where my Troi issues magnified (from my recent review). I wonder if men will have similar reactions, or at least fathers.
Old October 2 2008, 07:04 PM   #101
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Now I have to wait another month before discussing the big happenings in Mere Mortals.

This is where my Troi issues magnified (from my recent review). I wonder if men will have similar reactions, or at least fathers.
However, there's no reason not to share your new review of Mere Mortals — again, the first of its kind online or in print. Brava!

Its money quote (in my opinion):
"Mere Mortals ends on a major cliffhanger that left me on the edge of my seat. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion — Lost Souls, set to release in late November. Again, Star Trek fans, don't miss this crossover trilogy!"

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 07:07 PM   #102
SciFiChick
Ensign

Oops. I guess I could have linked to it. Thanks, David!
I may not be good at a lot of things, but I am a fast reader.
Old October 2 2008, 07:16 PM   #103
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Troi subplot had me riled up a bit.
Ree's diagnosis of the underlying genetic problems is fine. However, there's not reason why the problems should be insurmountable in creating a viable ovum. And I'm calling bullshit on his final diagnosis.

First, okay, Troi has mitochondrial DNA damage. Are there no other Betazoids aboard the Titan that a mitochondria could be borrowed from? Or does the Titan's shipboard computer not have a sequencing of Betazoid mitochondrial DNA? Given that mitochondrial DNA is the most stable across populations, using another Betazoid's mitochondria (or rebuilding it from an established baseline, since Ree says that he can, in fact, rebuild DNA) should be feasible.

Second, the corruption of Deanna's ova DNA. Ree says that he can't rebuild that, because he doesn't know what to rebuild it to. The problem is that Deanna has a fuckload of cells in her body with the standard template. (Use the DNA out of the intestine, like "Up the Long Ladder.") I find it impossible to believe that by the 24th-century Federation medical science can't take a cell and induce meiosis upon its genetic material.

So, I'm forced to draw one or two conclusions. Either it's the Voyager problem -- technobabble for technobabble's sake to confuse the issue with nonsense -- or Dr. Ree is simply unwilling to help Deanna Troi. Given the conversation Ree and Vale have later, the latter is entirely possible, but I can't dismiss the former.
I have read about two thirds of the book and I will say much more in a few days. (My review is already 5 pages long and I am not sure how much longer it will get)

I do like Dr. Ree but his treatment and attitude towards Deanna leaves a lot to be desired. I had to remember what Dax told Bashir in an episode, it is arrogant to believe that because he can`t find a cure that there isn`t any.

Even assuming that Deanna will really never be able to use her eggs, her womb is perfectly fine. Suggesting that she should have a hysterectomy is even worse than trying to force her to have an abortion. Even today, in the real world, women who can`t use their eggs can become pregnant. Dr. Ree has no right whatsoever to take that away from Deanna
Old October 2 2008, 07:48 PM   #104
Daddy Todd
Captain

I cracked open "Gods of Night" yesterday, planning to read a couple chapters to pass the time while I was home with a cold. Instead, I was immediately captured by the narrative and the great writing.

I only stopped reading because it was nearly midnight and I was falling asleep over page 307 (remember, I have a cold -- rest assured I wasn't nodding off from boredom!)

This is awesome stuff... I want to try and ration out the rest so I don't have a big wait until Book II shows up, but I know that the next time I open it, I won't put it down until I'm done. Thanks, Mr Mack, for a great read!
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2008, 09:02 PM   #105
JD
Admiral

I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, so I was curious if we have seen any of the major changes, or huge impact the books are supposed to have yet? I'm not looking for specifics, just a general yes or no.