MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 1 2008, 04:39 PM   #31
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: USS Aventine

^ Even if not, I think it make sense. If you have to replace ships after a war anyway, why rebuild old classes when you can build more modern ships?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 04:44 PM   #32
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Marco,

Depending on the future of the Aventine, would you consider a design contest similar to the one you did with the Titan and the Luna class?

Mike
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 04:50 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

We know (at least from extracanonical and deuterocanonical sources) that Starfleet launched into a major new shipbuilding effort after Wolf 359, replenishing their depleted fleet and developing new ship classes geared more toward defense and combat. The Defiant and Intrepid classes were meant to be products of this effort, and presumably all the other new classes introduced in FC and wherever were as well.

Indeed, wasn't there something in the Titan books about the Luna class being put on hold because of Starfleet's shift toward a more military-oriented set of priorities?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 05:55 PM   #34
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Marco,

Depending on the future of the Aventine, would you consider a design contest similar to the one you did with the Titan and the Luna class?

Mike
No, thanks. While I was happy with the end result of the Titan competition, the contest involved too much grief before, during, and after for me to want to get involved in such an undertaking again anytime soon. Life is simply too short.

By contrast, hiring an artist, discussing with him/her what I'd like to see, pitching ideas back and forth, and considering different options under controlled conditions...is cheaper, faster, easier, less uncertain, less complicated, and just pretty much hassle-free overall. That's how the Vanguard and Sagittarius designs were developed.

So if Aventine is ever to be rendered for a book, I'll go the latter route.

Christopher wrote: View Post
...wasn't there something in the Titan books about the Luna class being put on hold because of Starfleet's shift toward a more military-oriented set of priorities?
Yes. It's mentioned in "The Story Behind the Luna-class," the last section of the Titan concept notes that were part of the design contest rules in the back of Taking Wing.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:08 PM   #35
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post
Marco,

Mike
No, thanks. While I was happy with the end result of the Titan competition, the contest involved too much grief before, during, and after for me to want to get involved in such an undertaking again anytime soon. Life is simply too short.

By contrast, hiring an artist, discussing with him/her what I'd like to see, pitching ideas back and forth, and considering different options under controlled conditions...is cheaper, faster, easier, less uncertain, less complicated, and just pretty much hassle-free overall. That's how the Vanguard and Sagittarius designs were developed.

...wasn't there something in the Titan books about the Luna class being put on hold because of Starfleet's shift toward a more military-oriented set of priorities?
Yes. It's mentioned in "The Story Behind the Luna-class," the last section of the Titan concept notes that were part of the design contest rules in the back of Taking Wing.
I would love to take a crack at her. I like the image earlier in this thread.

I could see that as a jumping off point.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:14 PM   #36
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Titan Designer wrote: View Post
Marco,

Mike

I would love to take a crack at her. I like the image earlier in this thread.

I could see that as a jumping off point.

I would go with that.

Give it to Sean, his design of the Titan & federation one is awesome

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:23 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

No offense to Sean, but it seems to me that if we like the idea of using the SotL calendar image as a starting point for designing the Vesta class, then the artist who created that image deserves to be the first one the job is offered to.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:28 PM   #38
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Am I the only one who dislikes the SotL image? I've never liked the triangular saucers - the Dauntless, the Prometheus, or this.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:33 PM   #39
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

No offense to Sean, but it seems to me that if we like the idea of using the SotL calendar image as a starting point for designing the Vesta class, then the artist who created that image deserves to be the first one the job is offered to.

No offense taken, I thaught that I would throw my name into the hat. I was planning on creating a fan-version. And if Marco and the powers that be wanted an artist, this is my way of showing that I would be interested in taking up the challenge.
Old October 1 2008, 06:39 PM   #40
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

Turbo wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who dislikes the SotL image? I've never liked the triangular saucers - the Dauntless, the Prometheus, or this.
It's a safe bet that some portion of the fan base would dislike our hypothetical Aventine, no matter what creative direction is chosen.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:42 PM   #41
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

It's a safe bet that some portion of the fan base would dislike our hypothetical Aventine, no matter what creative direction is chosen.

True, but then there is the other portion that would like it. I learned alot
about that with the Titan Contest.
Old October 1 2008, 06:42 PM   #42
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

That's a pretty safe bet when every canon ship has its own set of detractors. (And for the record, I think the Luna-class is pretty cool.)
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 06:54 PM   #43
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Vesta Class, where are the virgins? Where do I sign up?
Old October 1 2008, 07:10 PM   #44
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I for one am not a fan of that image being the Aventine, as I said way back in this thread it made me feel a bit sick when I first saw it. Now, if it were a form of Troop Transport, I would be happy with that, say for the rescue mission to Korvat, in my personal opinion it just does not strike me as a Starship.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 11:33 PM   #45
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I already hate it.