Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 1 2008, 08:22 AM   #16
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Halloween Costume Thread!

I'm always interested in seeing what people come up with, and I used to make tons of costumes for both myself and my first wife (who was an elementary school teacher), but I've only gotten dressed up for two of the last 10 Halloweens. I'm not much into social events and my current wife is a cook and often works on Halloween, so I've gotten out of the practice. The last two times I dressed up were in 1997 and 2005. If anyone is interested I'll see if I can find the images from those.

I tend toward mostly home made stuff. My favorite costumes were from back in 1988 when I bought my wife and I flight suits and dressed them up with NASA mission patches (there was an astronaut named Shaw who had flown a number of missions) and leather name tags. It looked very authentic, and I was wearing mine while apartment hunting that day. After being shown one apartment I had gone back to the managers office to fill out the paperwork and she asked if I was moving there from Florida. I told her that we were just moving a little closer to the school where I was attending classes and working as a campus police officer. She was quite surprised, she hadn't realized it was Halloween.

Because my first wife taught a combination first, second and third grade, she had most of her students for up to three years. So that meant that we needed a new costume each year. One year I made her into Little Bow Peep (using an old brides maid gown as a starting point), another year I made her a sheep costume, another year she was a big green fish, and another she was a Hershey's Kiss (which I made out of silver lame fabric).

I didn't mind making these too much (I was the only one of us who had any sewing experience, and I had made her other things beyond costumes). The main problem was that Halloween usually fell around the time I was studying for mid terms.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:27 AM   #17
Super Grover
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
]It's dull as hell, though. The real goal for a girl should be to look sexy without detracting from the costume and without appearing to have tried to look sexy. I had a friend who dressed as a gay sailor one year. She wore short shorts with suspenders, a red and white stripey shirt, a sailor hat, and a bushy moustache. It was sexy and awesome!
I did have one friend who really pulled of the obvious sexy ______ costume, but that was because it was so ridiculous. She was a sexy stegosaurus.
Yeah....no. Maybe I'll ripoff Vernhardi's Zap Branigan costume Idea one year.
Bobby "Oh, you mean like Chlamydia?"
Super Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:33 AM   #18
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
^Pepperment and chocolate.
do you like it when guys pop out of chocolate cake with peppermint frosting?
That sounds gorgeous!
Shaw, I, personally, would love to see pictures! My family are very big on homemade costumes as well. One year I was a poodle, my sister and her husband are going to be a murdersous 50's housewife and her victim of a husband this year(they were just married, isn't it sweet?!), my little sister made a Medusa costume that was really astounding one year. I'm going to email her and see if I can get a picture to post.

I'm thinking Danger Mouse will be quite easy. I'm going to wear white leggings, a white turtleneck, and white gloves. I have red vinyl gogo boots (I know he wore white boots, but I've got to get a little sexy in there!), and will buy or make a red vinyl belt to match. I'll have to create the badge on my own, along with the ears. Oh, and I'll have to buy an eye-patch.

My other idea was an original series Star Trek girl. I'd have a ball doing the 60's make up and I could easily tease my bob into a 60's do.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:36 AM   #19
Hermiod
Admiral

^Just don't go specifically dressed up as Helen Noel or the board might melt.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:36 AM   #20
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

^so if i popped out of said cake and gave you a smaller cake, I wouldn't get kicked in the balls?
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:43 AM   #21
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

My brother and I are thinking of making some tribal masks and going out with skirts and stuff. Maybe I can convince him to be a vegetarian cannibal.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i was told i liik just like episode 3 obi-wan so maybe i'll do that
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 08:46 AM   #23
Shaw
Commodore

Oh... I got the dates wrong... 1996 and 2005.

I wish I had more to show, but I own almost nothing I had from before 1997.

My other idea was an original series Star Trek girl. I'd have a ball doing the 60's make up and I could easily tease my bob into a 60's do.
Actually, you should look great... here is an image from that Nimoy Baggins video and a picture of my Mom from that same year. You really wouldn't have to go too far from your current style (which is adorable ).

Old October 1 2008, 09:01 AM   #24
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Or, you know, you could just stick to standard: pick something and make it sexy. Sexy bumble bee, sexy devil, sexy police car, sexy Jesus...
That's kind of why I don't like Halloween anymore, when it used to be one of my favorite holidays. I don't particularly like putting on lingerie and one or two accessories and calling it a costume. And since college, it seems like that's what most of the girls do at the parties I attend. " Look, I'm wearing practically nothing but I've got these irritating wings on that leave glitter all over the place! I must be a fairy!"

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I can't pull it off.

I'm going to two parties this year, and I've got two costumes. I'm definitely going to be Red Riding Hood for one, as it's cute enough, but not ridiculously skimpy. Plus I think my husband wouldn't mind dressing up as the Big Bad Wolf, and that would be fun. The other costume I really like is a Bat-Girl outfit, but I'm worried that'd be a bit too nerdy for that particular crowd of people. I'll post pictures if there are any where I look decent.
Old October 1 2008, 09:21 AM   #25
Neeka Keet
Admiral

I'm going to a Misfits tribute concert dressed as zombie with my sister who will be one of the undead as well.
Old October 1 2008, 09:36 AM   #26
Hermiod
Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
That's kind of why I don't like Halloween anymore, when it used to be one of my favorite holidays. I don't particularly like putting on lingerie and one or two accessories and calling it a costume. And since college, it seems like that's what most of the girls do at the parties I attend. " Look, I'm wearing practically nothing but I've got these irritating wings on that leave glitter all over the place! I must be a fairy!"

I'm going to two parties this year, and I've got two costumes. I'm definitely going to be Red Riding Hood for one, as it's cute enough, but not ridiculously skimpy. Plus I think my husband wouldn't mind dressing up as the Big Bad Wolf, and that would be fun. The other costume I really like is a Bat-Girl outfit, but I'm worried that'd be a bit too nerdy for that particular crowd of people. I'll post pictures if there are any where I look decent.
The thing is, I think you and tsq are preaching to the converted. Most of the guys on here would find a Sci-Fi/Comics/Fantasy costume a lot sexier than some non-existent outfit with a pair of wings attached. I know that's not what you are going for yourself, but that way you get to wear a costume that's not ridiculously revealing and looking good in it is a bonus.

Nobody ever wants to dress up as Ms. Marvel, though.

She's Marvel's greatest superhero, what's the matter with you people ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Shaw
Commodore

Kestra wrote: View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about those types of girls if I were you. You're married to someone who loves and adores you, which means you've got the type of genuine attention and affection that those other girls haven't realized yet. I would think that being the object of someone's momentary desire is a pale substitute for what you have.

... At least that is how I hope I make my wife feel every day.
Old October 1 2008, 02:23 PM   #28
PhoneMonkey
Commander

My brother throws a great Halloween block party every year. I'm normally pretty reserved and don't get too crazy and go for something easy like a caveman or pirate. My wife on the other hand loves Halloween and goes all out.

We were at the store the other night looking at costumes and I decided screw it. I'm tired of buying a new costume every year. They just take up closet space. So, I'm doing the totally unexpected and wearing the Elvira costume she wore 2 years ago. We pulled out the costume when we got home and did the makeup. It was frightening. My wife thinks I look better than she did.

To top it off, while I hid in the kitchen with the lights off, my wife went and yanked our 13 year old daughter from her room. The look on her face was priceless. "Dad you look like a girl!!!!!"

I can't wait to hit on all the drunk guys at the party.
Old October 1 2008, 03:09 PM   #29
Captain X
Rear Admiral

I think this was 1996:
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2008, 04:55 PM   #30
blablover5
Admiral

View blablover5's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to blablover5

This is a hint:

blablover5 is offline   Reply With Quote