RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,706
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 510
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 27 2008, 10:13 PM   #31
Worf2DS9
Writer

Re: Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland first pictures

Looking forward to this. Mia was fantastic in In Treatment, and I'm looking forward to seeing her as Alice in this film.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 10:25 PM   #32
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Dream wrote: View Post
Responding the the fact that Burton hires Helen Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp for many of his movies that's his damn right since he is the director. Maybe he just works well with them? What's wrong with picking the best people for the job?
He's married to one and best friends with the other...but I don't mind either. They obviously work well together

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 11:38 PM   #33
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
Is it my imagination, or does that actress look too old for the part? And what's the sailing ship for? As an adaptation, this isn't looking up.
The actress playing Alice is 18. Having any actors younger then that forces production to be really long since they can only work a limited hour each day. Unless having actors be kids is extremely important like with the Harry Potter movies it's better to go with the older actors. Besides what's the matter with an older Alice? This is another interpretation by another director and I like that he is trying new things with it already.
Alice being a little girl isn't important? I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that; it's as important here as it is in Harry Potter. That, coupled with the idea of her being on a ship somewhere (family on the way to America? I wouldn't be surprised) I think clearly shows that the story of the book has gone at least halfway out the window. Believe me, no one would be more glad than I to eat crow over this, but unless it gets some pretty good reviews I'll probably be skipping this one.

The sailing ship is there because it's secretly a sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean. Jack Sparrow being in it automatically gives it another 100 million in the boxoffice.
Old September 28 2008, 12:21 AM   #34
A Clockwork Lim
Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I didn't know there was this much Tim Burton hate. Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas are some of my favorite movies ever.
He's 50-50 in my book. I enjoyed the two movies you listed, but I disliked his take on Batman (I know I'm in a minority here) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Planet of the Apes was absolutely abysmal, Sleepy Hollow bored me to tears, and Ed Wood was only occasionally entertaining.

When he's doing an at least semi-original story it tends to turn out fairly well, but most of his adaptations have been God-awful. Alice in Wonderland would be an adaptation. Hence the "meh" attitude from some.
A Clockwork Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 02:43 AM   #35
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

what I liked about Sleepy Hollow is that it was the first time Ive seen the gothic aesthetic applied to colonial times(as opposed to Victorian/Edwardian). I think it fit rather nicely.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 02:48 AM   #36
RaymondJames
Captain

is Danny doing the soundtrack to this?

I love Tim Burton and his films..well most of them. he is such a twisted dark soul.
Old September 28 2008, 03:05 AM   #37
nevermore
Admiral

Ok, I was given to believe that this was being rendered into one of these awful 3-D animation things like Beowulf. If this true or not?

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Jabberwockey will be in this...?
What about the frumious Bandersnatch?
Old September 28 2008, 04:21 AM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

flamingliberal wrote: View Post
What about the frumious Bandersnatch?
Even if Alice is 18 this is still a Disney film!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 06:33 PM   #39
DBR
Vice Admiral

I've either out grown or gotten tired of Burton's dark, moody, ostentatious style. Big fish was the the last of his movies I enjoyed, and I'd say it is more mild than most of his recent movies.

I really didn't like Chocolate Factory, and that is all I can think of when I see these Alice images.

That said, part of me is still looking forward to this.
Old September 29 2008, 06:42 PM   #40
A Clockwork Lim
Lieutenant Commander

I think Pushing Daisies pretty much proves that Big Fish had at least as much to do with its producers as it did Burton. At least as far as the visual style and charm goes which, honestly, are the only main reasons I liked Big Fish at all.
A Clockwork Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 07:46 PM   #41
JuanBolio
Admiral

Kryton wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Jabberwockey will be in this...?
"Jabberwocky" was the name of the poem. The beastie is actually called "The Jabberwock".

And technically, the poem appeared in the sequel story "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There", but BOTH stories have been sort of "squished" together in most screen adaptations of the books, especially Disney's where only ELEMENTS of the stories bear any similarity to the Carroll books. The actual biting political satire and some of the more subtle references to "higher consciousness" from within unconsciousness are lost entirely in the versions made for children.
Oh, I know its "Jabberwock" and not "Jabberwockey", but I think the latter sounds better.

...and I don't give a damn if it just a poem in a later book or not, I want a big freaky monster!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote