Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 27 2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Chris227
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Continuity Nazis: Your own personal canon.

Marvel (Specifically, Tom Defalco, who wrote some good Spider-Mans but was sort of ill-suited for the FF) actually retconned the whole Alicia Masters/Human Torch thing. Turned out she was a Skrull (The real Alicia Masters returned one issue after the reveal). She's even involved in SECRET INVASION. As for the real Alicia, she has an on-again, off-again relationship with the Thing still.
Chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post

Fantastic Four: Franklin and Valeria's ages are more consistent and don't make me feel like Peter Parker and Bobby Drake should be fifty.
Power Pack : Franklin and Valeria travel with the Powers to Disneyland. There Julie discovers a Skrull who tried to replace her, but got messed up with the Hollywood lifestyle, aged forward, started going to college and really thinks she is Julie Power. Alex spends a year's salary from odd jobs buying his sibs the best souvenirs, to make up for being a creepy 'unwanted toucher' when he stole their powers in New Warriors.

Werewolf By Night : Jack slowly reveals to his 'niece', the Vampire By Night, that she is in fact a brainwashed Lissa Russell, his sister, who is way too young to have an adult daughter, since she would have given birth when Peter Parker was in grade school, and Reed was only on his fifth degree.
Old September 27 2008, 04:52 PM   #18
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Some things people haven't touched:

- Nightcrawler's father is still unknown and it is still ambiguous if Mystique is his mother.
I will one-up that. Destiny is Nightcrawler's mother, and Mystique is his father, as was the original plan.
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 06:32 PM   #19
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Some things people haven't touched:

- Nightcrawler's father is still unknown and it is still ambiguous if Mystique is his mother.
I will one-up that. Destiny is Nightcrawler's mother, and Mystique is his father, as was the original plan.
That -- that's weird ...That's like Cartman's parents...
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 07:17 PM   #20
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Marvel: It all began with the Fantastic Four in 1961 (with retroactive history in place, as occasionally dramatized). At the stroke of midnight, New Year's Eve 1977, the Marvel Universe split in two: The Normal Universe and the Corrupt Universe. Sadly, we have only been privy to the goings on of the Corrupt Universe. But in the Normal Universe, things have gone along as they should. The characters we know are now middle-aged to elderly (except for those who are long-lived or immortal) and have lived good lives. Some of the children of the superheroes have grown up to take over defending the Earth and the Universe, and have been joined by new heroes. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing the details, but someday I hope to find the portal and catch up on thirty years of back issues.

DC: It's still the Silver Age. It will always be the Silver Age.
Old September 27 2008, 09:08 PM   #21
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Fantastic Four: Franklin and Valeria
Franklin and who? Reed and Sue only have one child.

Wolverine's origin remains unknown.

Wally West is and ever shall be Kid Flash. Barry remains the Flash.

Captain Marvel is a black chick.

The Avengers consist of Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Wonder Man, Beast, Vision, Scarlet Witch, occassionally Hercules, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Hank Pym and Janet.

SHIELD stands for Strategic Headquarters International Espionage Law Enforcement Division.

Nick Fury is a white guy who served in WWII with Dum Dum, Gabe, etc.

Reed and Ben served in WWII. Did I mention Sue is NOT a scientist?
Old September 27 2008, 10:41 PM   #22
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Marvel continuity: The MU as a whole ended ~the time of Thunderbolts 75 (?) when the book became "Metahuman Fight Club" This was also about the time Jemas and Quesieda seriously started fucking around with Marvel to make it "edgier" and "more relevant".

The only exception is "Spider-Girl"...who has survived all attempts by Marvel Editorial to assassinate her...

DC Continuity: I tend to favor the "Timm-verse" for my DC...as for the comics, there's been to much BS happening (like what happened to Superboy) for me to give much of a rat's ass these days. I lost my interest in DC when they canned "Young Justice" just so they could steal some of the characters for the latest incarnation of the Titans.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 04:06 PM   #23
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

In comics, I've come to favor history over continuity. I'll enjoy back issues or reprints of whatever comics I like, without regard to what the last umpteen creative teams have wrought, or whether or not they're considered to have happened in whatever passes for the current "continuity".

Not to pick on anyone, because I honestly can't remember who it was, but I remember a poster saying that he wasn't going to see Iron Man because of how Civil War had tarnished the character (pardon the unintended double entendre). That's just madness--the character's been around in the comics for 45 years, and the movie is a fresh new take on the character that takes place in a new continuity. The controversial choices of one group of umpteenth-generation hacks shouldn't affect your enjoyment of everyone else's contributions to the character.

My interest in Marvel drops off substantially about the time of Secret Wars. My interest in DC goes into the mid-to-late-90s. I liked the intention behind the Crisis, but a lack of central editorial control caused post-Crisis DC continuity to become an incomprehensible mess.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; September 28 2008 at 08:37 PM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:35 PM   #24
TGTheodore
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
That does it. I'm adopting you as my legal brother ...

Superman: Single reporter who still fools people with just his glasses and civvies as a disguise

Luthor: Still just an angry scientist who hates Superman because he made him bald

Supergirl: Still Kara from Krypton, and still wearing the blue miniskirt uniform. (Was there never an updraft when she landed feet first?)

Batman and Robin: Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson

Batgirl: Barbara Gordon, fully functional

Flash: Still Barry Allen

LSH: Still in Adventure Comics

--Ted
Old September 28 2008, 10:58 PM   #25
grabmygoblin
Commodore

my Marvel comics canon is pretty much the mainstream one... but, until I decide otherwise, One More Day/Brand New Day are all taking place within a supercompressed period of time (between their heartbeats or something like that), and the arc will end with Peter, MJ and May all back in that hospital room just as May passes on... and MJ will shortly thereafter become preggers again.

oh, and that Austen arc with Nightcrawler's devil dad? fucking retarded. my canon on that goes like

Nightcrawler wrote:
...he said he was the devil. I've met several devils, and have never believed anything any of them have said.
oh, and Storm and Yukio are totally lovers.
Old September 28 2008, 11:38 PM   #26
CaptainCanada
Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

What's wrong with Val?
Did I mention Sue is NOT a scientist?
You object to Sue having an actual purpose on the mission?

At Marvel, I wouldn't have done the M-Day or One More Day stories.

At DC, all of the stuff done with Wonder Woman from around the time Johns got his grubby mitts on her overall editorial direction up until Simone took over would not have happened; no worthless false identity, most of all.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 11:43 PM   #27
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
That does it. I'm adopting you as my legal brother ...

Superman: Single reporter who still fools people with just his glasses and civvies as a disguise

Luthor: Still just an angry scientist who hates Superman because he made him bald

Supergirl: Still Kara from Krypton, and still wearing the blue miniskirt uniform.
Ah, somebody else who understands the importance of the blue miniskirt uniform! I'm adopting you as my legal brother.
Old September 28 2008, 11:48 PM   #28
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Here's one:

Snake Eyes still has a scarred face.

Mindbender is DEAD. Well he's dead again but...
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 12:28 AM   #29
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

What's wrong with Val?
Never heard of her. Franklin was their only child for decades. For me, everything froze in 1986.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Did I mention Sue is NOT a scientist?
You object to Sue having an actual purpose on the mission?
I object to this absurd revisionism. She wasn't a scientist, any more than Lois Lane was. Should Lois Lane suddenly be a nuclear physicist?
Old September 29 2008, 12:31 AM   #30
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

TG Theodore wrote: View Post

TV reporter. Otherwise, agreed.

Supergirl: Still Kara from Krypton, and still wearing the blue miniskirt uniform. (Was there never an updraft when she landed feet first?)
What, you don't like hot pants?