Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"
Excellent 105 69.08%
Above Average 35 23.03%
Average 8 5.26%
Below Average 2 1.32%
Poor 2 1.32%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25 2008, 08:13 PM   #31
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

SciFiChick wrote: View Post
My review of Mere Mortals should be up by late next week.
Or whenever Marco says I'm allowed.
Such cheek!

Next week sounds great. Thanks.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 09:09 PM   #32
bennyrex
Lieutenant

Spoilers ahead!

I finished it this morning! I'm impressed with how thoroughly character focused the book is, considering the bombastic world changing hype of a story that it is... Loved the Enterprise chunks. Especially the hostage taking sequence near the end there. That was epic! I could of done with a bit more Choudhoury... but I understand that there's not room for everyone to have tons of material dedicated to their favourite character. And I really enjoyed the material that I got. As long as her threads will continue throughout the next books!

And kudos for making me think I knew what was going to happen, then throwing a twist on it as well! I thought I had predicted what was going to happen in the Enterprise thread, and it sort of started to happen that way, but then everything went totally kablooie and razy, and I ended up sort of being right, but being totally shocked at the same time. Twas quite cool.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 09:43 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

^^When you say "the Enterprise thread," are you referring to the portions with the characters from the era of Star Trek: Enterprise, i.e. the Columbia crew? Because when you say "Enterprise," it sounds like you're referring to the scenes on Picard's ship, but I don't remember any hostage-taking there.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 09:51 PM   #34
bennyrex
Lieutenant

^^ Whoops. Yeah, I meant the Columbia thread, or 'with characters from ST:Ent' My bad. This is what happens when I stay up most of the night reading.

Last edited by bennyrex; September 26 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: adding a sentence.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 01:47 AM   #35
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Thanks for your comments, bennyrex. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You'll be pleased to know that Choudhury gets more "screen time" in the next two books.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 02:20 AM   #36
Jose Tyler
Lieutenant Commander

David - I've been reading Trek book since faithfully since 1983, and Gods of Night is in a class unto itself. I've started my second read through. Thanks for writing such a great book.
Old September 28 2008, 04:28 AM   #37
Gatekeeper
Commodore

I picked up "Gods of Night" on Friday afternoon and finished reading it early Saturday evening.

423 pages in roughly 24 hours. Now that's saying something very good about the novel, because I generally don't read books quite that quickly. My only real regret? Now I have to wait until sometime in October to pick up the next novel in the series, "Mere Mortals."

Gatekeeper

P.S. Among other things, I am intensely curious about the civilization the Caeliar contacted. I assume they will figure into the other novels?
Old September 28 2008, 05:46 PM   #38
David Mack
Writer

Jose Tyler wrote: View Post
David - I've been reading Trek book since faithfully since 1983, and Gods of Night is in a class unto itself. I've started my second read through. Thanks for writing such a great book.
Thanks for your kind words, Jose. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Gatekeeper wrote: View Post
P.S. Among other things, I am intensely curious about the civilization the Caeliar contacted. I assume they will figure into the other novels?
Gracias to you, as well, Gatekeeper. To answer your question, you will find out in Mere Mortals who the Caeliar contacted (and why they sent that response in turn).

Old September 28 2008, 09:23 PM   #39
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

My review of Star Trek Destiny: Gods of Night

I have to say off the bat that this book took everything that worked in the previous Titan, TNG, and ENT novels, and stepped it up a notch.

As mentioned before, even though the Borg invasion of the Federation is the main threat in the story, they are not mentioned all of that much. There are a few battle scenes between the Enterprise-E and the Borg, but they do not last very long, and are confined to the beginning of the novel. So those worried that this is another Borg-centric novel can calm down.

I would say that the majority of the novel focuses on the fate of the Columbia, with Titan taking up the second most time, the Dax/Aventine story third, and the Enterprise-E fourth. There are also brief scenes devoted to Voyager, the Klingons, and the Federation President's handling of the situation as well. I personally would have cut the Voyager scene out and just moved it into the forthcoming novel strictly about the ship, because I think it distracts from the rest of the story.

I thought it was an interesting (and human) touch to see the conn officer of the doomed USS Ranger actually disobeying the order that was given to send the ship on a kamakaze run. Too often I have felt in the past like all of these characters fated to die had balls of steel, and had few reservations about throwing their lives away. I also liked the brief mention of the Excalibur and their victory over the Borg in (what I assume was) Thallonian space.

I hope that by the time this series is over, there will be an explanation for why the Borg decided that the Federation needed to be exterminated, rather than assimilated like in the past. It would have made more sense had the Einstein reached Borg space, but we know that didn't happen. Picard himself in 'Gods of Night' wonders this same thing, but he does not reach any conclusions as of yet.

I am now going to have to find things to occupy myself until the next novel is released in 4 weeks or so.

Rating: 10/10

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:27 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I hope that by the time this series is over, there will be an explanation for why the Borg decided that the Federation needed to be exterminated, rather than assimilated like in the past. It would have made more sense had the Einstein reached Borg space, but we know that didn't happen. Picard himself in 'Gods of Night' wonders this same thing, but he does not reach any conclusions as of yet.
Actually this was foreshadowed/addressed in Greater Than the Sum. Admiral Nechayev said that after Voyager destroyed the Borg's transwarp hub, that elevated the Federation from a minor annoyance to a major threat in the Borg's eyes, and the loss of their transwarp access to the Alpha Quadrant was the only reason they hadn't already destroyed the UFP in retaliation. So their desire to wipe us off the map has existed for about three years at this point -- it just wasn't until now that they found a way to reach us.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2008, 09:30 PM   #41
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
LutherSloan wrote: View Post
Actually this was foreshadowed/addressed in Greater Than the Sum. Admiral Nechayev said that after Voyager destroyed the Borg's transwarp hub, that elevated the Federation from a minor annoyance to a major threat in the Borg's eyes, and the loss of their transwarp access to the Alpha Quadrant was the only reason they hadn't already destroyed the UFP in retaliation. So their desire to wipe us off the map has existed for about three years at this point -- it just wasn't until now that they found a way to reach us.
Good point, I forgot about that.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 09:01 AM   #42
Gatekeeper
Commodore

David Mack, et al.:

Thanks for your reply WRT the alien civilization the Caeliar contacted.

Here's another question: Is it safe to assume that the Caeliar do not know of the Q or other beings such as the Organians and/or Metrons? I ask because all three of these species would seem to be, at the very least, equivalent to the Caeliar and, in Q's case, superior to them.

Yet the Caeliar speak and act as if they have no knowledge of the Q, et al. For a species that's had sentience for at least 65,000 years, I find that to be a bit odd, unless Q, et al., have deliberately avoided the Caeliar. If so, perhaps they found them to be a bit too ... stuck up? (Yeah, hard to admit, especially WRT the Q.)

Gatekeeper
Old September 29 2008, 11:58 AM   #43
David Mack
Writer

Gatekeeper wrote: View Post
Here's another question: Is it safe to assume that the Caeliar do not know of the Q or other beings such as the Organians and/or Metrons? I ask because all three of these species would seem to be, at the very least, equivalent to the Caeliar and, in Q's case, superior to them.
It's not addressed in the trilogy; I'd presume that the Caeliar probably are aware of those cultures, but are more interested in finding one that exists on their level, as physical entities, rather than as pure energy (Organians) or extradimensional (Q). Also, the Douwd don't have a civilization so much as a few scattered individuals hiding among other cultures, the exact antithesis of Caeliar philosophy.

As for the Metrons, they showed themselves in "Arena" to be as reclusive as the Caeliar. It's possible the Caeliar are unaware of the Metrons and vice-versa. Of course, considering the Metrons' willingness to pit sentient beings in mortal combat, the two cultures might be philosophically incompatible; just as the Metrons considered humans to be savage, the Caeliar might hold the Metrons in a similar degree of contempt.

Yet the Caeliar speak and act as if they have no knowledge of the Q, et al. For a species that's had sentience for at least 65,000 years, I find that to be a bit odd, unless Q, et al., have deliberately avoided the Caeliar. If so, perhaps they found them to be a bit too ... stuck up? (Yeah, hard to admit, especially WRT the Q.)
I think what the Q might have found distasteful about the Caeliar is that they seem humorless, and their reclusive nature makes them provincial and, at times, xenophobic. Despite the sophistication of their technology, the Caeliar would probably bore the Q, in my opinion.

Old September 29 2008, 01:12 PM   #44
Idoliside
Commander

Just got this book! Enjoying it so far....got up to my first Stygian Darkness...
Idoliside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2008, 01:31 PM   #45
David Mack
Writer

^ If only this board had an emoticon for "WHACK!"