Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2008, 05:16 AM   #31
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: Bungie cryptically announces its next HALO project!

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
a Halo MMO? that would never work, there would only be 4 classes(spartan, hunter, elite and Jackal sniper), and only one would be on the humans side, and the weapon classes would be pretty limited i think
An MMO doesn't mean it has to be an RPG. Of course, from the concept art it looks like it was, which is indeed a little silly.
Old September 26 2008, 05:38 AM   #32
Rii
Rear Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Age of Empires 3 has sold more then 2 million copies, that's great numbers. As far as I know that number doesn't include the expansion packs.
Ensemble were expecting rather more than that, AOE3 sales were disappointing. For my part, as a fan of AOE/AOK/AOM, I couldn't have cared less about AOE3. Muskets? Railroads? Colonisation of the Americas? Fuck off, I'll stick with my Trebuchets.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 03:50 PM   #33
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
a Halo MMO? that would never work, there would only be 4 classes(spartan, hunter, elite and Jackal sniper), and only one would be on the humans side, and the weapon classes would be pretty limited i think
MMOFPS, not MMORPG.

Look at something like Star Wars: Battlefront or Battlefield: Bad Company with a couple hundred real people fighting one another, or the upcoming Huxley for an example.

I'm sure with a bit of imagination one could come up with many different players classes for each side in the Halo Universe, you don't have to stick to the characters seen in the existing game, and you can give different specialities to individual classes (sniper and demolition and melee Spartans for instance). You could even play the Flood.
Old September 26 2008, 04:37 PM   #34
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

unimatrix7 wrote: View Post
Please don't use reason against ignorant fanboys. You know it won't work.
Oo. Burn.
Old September 26 2008, 04:50 PM   #35
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Age of Empires 3 has sold more then 2 million copies, that's great numbers.
Sure, those are great numbers ... but Age of Empires 3 came out, what, three years ago? PC game sales haven't exactly been stellar since then.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 05:09 PM   #36
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Halo Wars isn't being made by the original Bungie team, though. It's more of a side project. And besides, its just an RTS, not a shooter.
Wouldn't call Halo Wars a side project, it's being made by a AAA developer on a decent sized budget.
Old September 26 2008, 06:07 PM   #37
PKerr
Rear Admiral

We interrupt this program for a special service announcement....

Here is a 20% off used game at GameStop coupon.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/newnews/fs...EBC3006517.jpg

We now return to your program already in progress.

Enjoy!
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 10:39 PM   #38
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Halo as a MMOFPS would be fantastic.

Some years ago I played this MMO-FPS game, Planetside. It's still around today in fact.

The game was painfully mediocre in ALMOST EVERY WAY. Terrain, environments, skills, weapons, world objectives...

But despite the fact that 90% of the game was pretty shitty, it was AMAZING in the one way that's most important. MMO combat.

Being part of a gigantic firefight, 50, 100, 150, 200 people all laying siege onto a base, snipers, people driving vehicles, flying ships, gunners in turrents, ordinary grunts, all of them fellow players, in real WAR FPS showdown. Not some pussy-ass 5 on 5 or 10 on 10 "deathmatch", this was real war. We're talking real starship trooper type stuff here. It was with a doubt more chaotic war-like fun than any FPS game had ever delivered for me.

The idea of a Halo MMO-FPS, with an IP that would actually get TONS of people to sign up, an IP that would require a GOOD budget to actually make the game around the FP combat a good game, sends me into convulsions thinking about how awesome it would be.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 12:20 AM   #39
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Console games can barely handle 32 player servers. We're going to see that new stupidly named "Massive Action Game" on the PS3 try to do 100 players but we'll see if that actually pans out.

The big problem is communication. Even with 24 players, DICE couldn't figure out how to do team wide communication in Battlefield Bad Company because of lag. And even if they could work it out, imagine 99 other Halo 3 players in a single room. It would be a chorus of 13 year olds calling you a nigger or a fag. Fun times.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 01:02 AM   #40
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Console games can barely handle 32 player servers. We're going to see that new stupidly named "Massive Action Game" on the PS3 try to do 100 players but we'll see if that actually pans out.

The big problem is communication. Even with 24 players, DICE couldn't figure out how to do team wide communication in Battlefield Bad Company because of lag. And even if they could work it out, imagine 99 other Halo 3 players in a single room. It would be a chorus of 13 year olds calling you a nigger or a fag. Fun times.
I don't see how it's really any different from any other MMO... you don't need 99 people in a room, nor would it be productive.
Old September 27 2008, 03:32 AM   #41
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
Age of Empires 3 has sold more then 2 million copies, that's great numbers. As far as I know that number doesn't include the expansion packs.
Ensemble were expecting rather more than that, AOE3 sales were disappointing. For my part, as a fan of AOE/AOK/AOM, I couldn't have cared less about AOE3. Muskets? Railroads? Colonisation of the Americas? Fuck off, I'll stick with my Trebuchets.
I don't know if they would consider that disapointing. I'm sure it made money for Ensemble.

JKTim wrote: View Post
Age of Empires 3 has sold more then 2 million copies, that's great numbers.
Sure, those are great numbers ... but Age of Empires 3 came out, what, three years ago? PC game sales haven't exactly been stellar since then.
That's true. But their final game is a Halo console spinoff is pretty much guaranteed to sell well and make a lot of money. It's too bad they aren't getting a chance at making AoE4, I was interested in seeing how the series would do with modern warfare.

I have a feeling that MAG isn't going to be that game's final name (I've even heard rumors it's a Socom spinoff).

To be fair PS3 games use dedicated servers far more often then Xbox games do, so I'm willing to bet they will be able to pull off 100 players with dedicated servers.

Communication can be an issue, though I imagine if handled correctly it will work. Only allow people near you be able to hear you (and if it's a squad based game also allow people to talk to their squad, and squad leaders be able to talk to each other). Of course games should always include private friends channels to allow friends to talk to each other without anyone else interrupting.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 04:04 AM   #42
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Arrghman wrote: View Post

I don't see how it's really any different from any other MMO... you don't need 99 people in a room, nor would it be productive.
Well, the point of an MMOFPS would be to recreate large scale PVP battles. If you're just doing "raids", might as well play CoD4 singleplayer... and if you're just doing small scale battles like they're planning with Resistance 2, you might as well just play any other FPS with a squad system, like BF:BC.

I have a feeling that MAG isn't going to be that game's final name (I've even heard rumors it's a Socom spinoff).

To be fair PS3 games use dedicated servers far more often then Xbox games do, so I'm willing to bet they will be able to pull off 100 players with dedicated servers.

Communication can be an issue, though I imagine if handled correctly it will work. Only allow people near you be able to hear you (and if it's a squad based game also allow people to talk to their squad, and squad leaders be able to talk to each other). Of course games should always include private friends channels to allow friends to talk to each other without anyone else interrupting.
Yeah, MAG is definitely a temp name. And yep, the good thing about PS3 games is the dedicated servers. Still, I'll have to see it to believe it. 100 on the PC is still a rare sight.
I suppose the argument there is that after a certain number, chaos ensues. I think 64 works with Battlefield because of the large maps, but unfortunately most console FPS players like playing in tiny boxes.

One problem with multi-channel chat is that the 360 control is already running out of buttons. You'd need a button to toggle between squad level and command level chat and even then, you'd need people to actually listen to each other in the first place.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old September 27 2008, 06:04 AM   #43
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i'd like to see Halo:Battlefront
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 07:06 AM   #44
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

Arrghman wrote: View Post

Well, the point of an MMOFPS would be to recreate large scale PVP battles. If you're just doing "raids", might as well play CoD4 singleplayer... and if you're just doing small scale battles like they're planning with Resistance 2, you might as well just play any other FPS with a squad system, like BF:BC.

Right, but you still don't need 99 people in one room. Do you think everyone in an RvR zone in WAR is in the same Vent channel? As I said it wouldn't be productive... each party or squad is going to talk amongst themselves. This doesn't make it have small scale battles, it just means everyone is in their own squad as part of a large scale battle. Which is how it should be. As someone already mentioned, see Planetside. Or any other MMO, regardless of genre, that has large scale PvP.

That said, why are we talking about a Halo MMO on a console? The concepts that were leaked out are pretty clearly showing an interface built for a PC.
Old September 27 2008, 07:47 AM   #45
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but honestly, with MGS I'm just assuming that the end result of anything they do will be for the 360 as well, if not exclusively. I imagine they dropped this when they decided to do the Marvel MMO... before they dropped that too.

And honestly, based on BF:BC, even squad coordination is hit and miss. You just have to hope that the random squad you're placed in has people who know what they're doing.
As for WoW or Warhammer... honestly have no idea how that works. I just hear about these epic 60 player multi-hour raids and I imagine that there must be some form of coordination between all players to make it all work.

Anyway, if Huxley ever comes out, I guess we'll see if it will work.