RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 471
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Plastique
SUPER 2 5.13%
Above Average 15 38.46%
Average 18 46.15%
Below Average 3 7.69%
BIZARRO 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26 2008, 05:45 PM   #151
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Re: Smallville 8-2 "Plastique" - Discuss/Grade <Spoiler>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I wonder if we'll ever see a Lego Smallville?
Lego Superman is rumored to be under development. I want Lego Star Trek.
Careful, those Trek fans who have zero sense of humor will hang you in effigy for making fun of their religion.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 05:47 PM   #152
nx1701g
Admiral

^ True. Then again most of them I call friends so maybe they won't hurt me... too badly.
Old September 26 2008, 06:36 PM   #153
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I think the story really isn't suited to having the tradition clark-kent-glasses-costumed-superman disguise. We can suspend disbelief when you start out a movie or something wtih that conceit, but 8 years of having everyone interact with Clark, and then not realize its him when he looks exactly the same, just doesn't fly.

They should just call it a re-imagining and call it a day. in other words, no suit, "Smallville's Superman" is basically what Smallville is at this stage, everyone knows Clark (sans glasses), but there's this mystery being that's out there saving people, who always speeds off before people can idenitfy him.. the newspapers call himl Superman but rarely ever see. follow more the post-crisis line of thought with Lois getting romantic with Clark instead of pining after Superman. In the very last episode, he could put on the suit and 'come out' so to speak as a hero. Yes, ok his secret identity would probably be compromised, but the show would be over so the writers dont have to deal with it.

Last edited by Stone_Cold_Sisko; September 26 2008 at 06:59 PM.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 06:55 PM   #154
Aragorn
Admiral

You know, as the seasons went by, there was a constant massive land shift and Smallville kept getting closer and closer to Metropolis, to the point where Chloe could commute to work. Now it's so close you can have a character in Smallville call it Metropolis.

Maybe when Clark goes off to save people, his disguise will be glasses and a nerdy stature.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 07:27 PM   #155
Othello
Commodore

I liked the epiode. It was good but not great. Like the little homages to Superman lore like the phone booth throughout the episode. I geeked out at the end as I instantly thought of the Legion of Doom. I have a feeling there will be quite a few "mark/geek out" moments like the phone booth, Legion of Doom, etc this year. I still miss Lex and Lionel quite a bit but am encouraged by the first two episodes.

Next week looks cool as a Green Arrow origin story.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 07:27 PM   #156
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I wonder if we'll ever see a Lego Smallville?
Lego Superman is rumored to be under development. I want Lego Star Trek.
Careful, those Trek fans who have zero sense of humor will hang you in effigy for making fun of their religion.
I don't know how some people can call themselves trek fans and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 07:30 PM   #157
the Dagman
Commodore

Puh-leeze people.

The solution to this problem is so obvious. This is a wholly separate version of Superman. Just call this world Earth-CW and bear in mind that this world's Superman will have to wear a mask when he is in uniform. It will likely look very much like Warrior Angel's. Yes, I remember Clark saying he doesn't like masks. But that doesn't change the reality of his situation. Unless he suddenly develops the power of mass hypnosis and alters the perceptions of everyone he has ever met to believe he has always worn glasses. And even then, with all the times that Clark has been in newspapers sans glasses his cover would get blown pretty quickly. A mask added to the Superman costume is the easiest way out.
Old September 26 2008, 09:31 PM   #158
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

It was a pretty good episode.

Though dear old Clark there seems to care a lot for his friends and strangers but really doesn't give a damn about family...
Has he even thought about where his cousin Kara may be ?

Oh and I hope we will not have a Jimmy-Chloe-Doomsday love triangle this season...Those triangles have gotten really boring
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 10:34 PM   #159
Lookingglassman
Admiral

It wasnt all that great. Another meteor freak story. Ho hum. The only good part was the phone booth part. I was surprised none of the bus victims or spectators reacting to Clark ripping open the bus' roof to rescue them passengers. He did it in plain view of everyone, surely somebody would have seen it.

As for the fire chick, where did Clark take her and why did he just leave her alone? The Lexchick got to her and I found that pretty lame. I figured Clark would have helped the chick by turning her over to Oliver. I figured he would be able to help her more with his billions than Clark could.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 10:35 PM   #160
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

the Dagman wrote: View Post
Puh-leeze people.

The solution to this problem is so obvious. This is a wholly separate version of Superman. Just call this world Earth-CW

In all seriousnes, I've kind of thought that the Smallville world is one of the 52. I think it would be interesting to read a comic in where the Superman of New Earth visit Clark of Smallville Earth. They'll most likely laugh at each other. Clark laughing at Supes because of the outfit and Supes laughing at Clark for still not knowing how to fly.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
Old September 26 2008, 10:38 PM   #161
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I was surprised none of the bus victims or spectators reacting to Clark ripping open the bus' roof to rescue them passengers. He did it in plain view of everyone, surely somebody would have seen it.
In his defense, there was a lot of confusion and Clark used it as cover for his heroics. There were people who inhaled smoke and most likely suffered concussions, so a policeman or a reporter might have written off any satements by any witnesses.
Old September 26 2008, 11:15 PM   #162
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I was surprised none of the bus victims or spectators reacting to Clark ripping open the bus' roof to rescue them passengers. He did it in plain view of everyone, surely somebody would have seen it.
In his defense, there was a lot of confusion and Clark used it as cover for his heroics. There were people who inhaled smoke and most likely suffered concussions, so a policeman or a reporter might have written off any satements by any witnesses.
Suffered concussions? Were Lex and Lana there?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 12:01 AM   #163
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

The young woman was a surprisingly good actress.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 12:08 AM   #164
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

the Dagman wrote: View Post
Puh-leeze people.

The solution to this problem is so obvious. This is a wholly separate version of Superman. Just call this world Earth-CW and bear in mind that this world's Superman will have to wear a mask when he is in uniform. It will likely look very much like Warrior Angel's. Yes, I remember Clark saying he doesn't like masks. But that doesn't change the reality of his situation. Unless he suddenly develops the power of mass hypnosis and alters the perceptions of everyone he has ever met to believe he has always worn glasses. And even then, with all the times that Clark has been in newspapers sans glasses his cover would get blown pretty quickly. A mask added to the Superman costume is the easiest way out.
That still doesn't change the fact that post-One More Day, people in the Marvel Universe seemingly can't read newspapers. All Clark has to do is make a deal with Neron!
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2008, 01:44 AM   #165
Aragorn
Admiral

I wonder if this is the sort of thing the show depends on -- viewers who are more than willing to fill in the blanks and find explanations to crappy writing.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote