IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 25 2008, 02:58 PM   #811
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Until Gabby is done with ENG U21 come 2009 summer assuming we get to the championships then ourb est 4 IMO are...

Owen, Rooney, Heskey, Crouch (Walcott down as midfielder not forward).
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 05:09 PM   #812
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Capello seems to rate Crouch even less than Owen. I can see Bobby Zamora getting a call up before they do.
Old September 25 2008, 06:09 PM   #813
Jax
Admiral

Fabio may of had one of the best ENG wins in our history but his squad selections are still wrong...

Young over Downing

Richards over Johnson

Shorey over Bridge

Owen over Defoe and well Walcott over Bentley so that leaves the spare strike slot for Crouch.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old September 26 2008, 09:37 AM   #814
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The European Championships to expand from 16 finalists to 24.

Whilst this is good from an England/home nations POV, it does somewhat devalue the whole qualifying format. Any half decent team will now coast to qualification making the whole process less competitive. The next step will probably be the top 24 nations just deciding to cut everyone else adrift and scrapping qualification completely!

I see that the French FA are also pitching a 'six nations' tournament, featuring France, England, Germany, Italy, Holland and Spain. Sounds interesting, and a good foil and justification for England not entering the Celtic Cup.
Old September 26 2008, 09:58 AM   #815
Hermiod
Admiral

^Sounds like a good idea to me.

Personally, I still think that the really small nations should have to pre-qualify for World Cup and European Championship qualifying tournaments. It does them no good to play matches they can't win. San Marino vs the Faroe Islands might not sound like a glamour tie but at least both sides have a winnable game and you learn much more from that than getting beat 10-0.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2008, 10:12 AM   #816
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

It's all part of Platini's masterplan to ensure that the top European nations ALWAYS qualify for the finals. It won't be long before they hit on the idea have having the top 12 nations automatically qualifying and then the rest of the European nations playing off for the remaining 12 slots.
Old September 26 2008, 10:20 AM   #817
Hermiod
Admiral

^He'll be overruled by FIFA who are on a crusade to make sure the big nations never win anything again and the World Cup final is contested between Trinidad and Tobago and Andorra.
Old September 26 2008, 10:26 AM   #818
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ At least Scotland will be in with a shout!
Old September 26 2008, 12:26 PM   #819
Hermiod
Admiral

More UEFA news - the UEFA Cup will be renamed the "UEFA Europa League" from next season.
Old September 26 2008, 12:31 PM   #820
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

That's been on the cards for a while now. I'm just surprised that they didn't take a more realistic approach and call it the European Subsidiary Cup......
Old September 26 2008, 03:29 PM   #821
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The Europa Cup sounds fine to me. And no more beaten FA Cup finalists getting into it either - brilliant.

And Newcastle continue to amaze... Joe Kinnear!?
Old September 26 2008, 03:42 PM   #822
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The European Championships to expand from 16 finalists to 24.

Whilst this is good from an England/home nations POV, it does somewhat devalue the whole qualifying format. Any half decent team will now coast to qualification making the whole process less competitive. The next step will probably be the top 24 nations just deciding to cut everyone else adrift and scrapping qualification completely!

I see that the French FA are also pitching a 'six nations' tournament, featuring France, England, Germany, Italy, Holland and Spain. Sounds interesting, and a good foil and justification for England not entering the Celtic Cup.
I hate the idea and I bet after a few of these new EURO's we see another change back down. I don't see how it will work, 4 groups of 6 with only 2 going through is stupid...or 6 groups of 4 with 6 winners and 2 best runners up (EVEN STUPIDER).

This is only happening because ENG failed to qualify and UEFA loss out on huge amount of money plus other bigger nations are struggling more and more to qualify so ENG might not be the only big loss in future EURO's.

When I want FIFA to butt there noses in then never do.
Old September 26 2008, 08:28 PM   #823
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I don't like this expansion either - it smacks of trying to make sure the less stable big teams like France and England qualify all the time. Sure, it may help teams like, say, Scotland, Norway and Denmark, but not especially.

The Six Nations sounds good though. Especially if it really were those six specifically. Cos ENGLAND would get caned every week
Old September 27 2008, 08:17 PM   #824
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

See the Arsenal lads are quiet tonight......

I'll just have to mention our fine victory at QPR - poetic justice for trying to screw us over with the ticket prices.
Old September 27 2008, 08:48 PM   #825
Jax
Admiral

Sack Calderwood please.