New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 24 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Red Ranger
Admiral

Your Favorite ST Love Story!

People:

It's simple. Which of the many love stories in all the ST series really spoke to you?

I would have to say the first one, because of its tragic overtones. I'm speaking of Captain Christopher Pike and Vina, the lone survivor of the crash-landing on Talos IV, from The Cage and The Menagerie.

Vina's reason for staying, that she was disfigured, was made more poignant by the ending of The Cage: that the Talosians let her think Pike stayed behind with her. And then, Pike's terrible accident with the Delta Rays gave him a choice, to be with the woman he loved, especially now that they both had so much in common -- both physically maimed.

I just rewatched The Menagerie and this topic idea came naturally to me. And it's also the first official sequel in ST history, come to think of it.

One more thing: try to limit your favorite love stories to canon, eh? So 'shippers, take a cold shower!

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Your Favorite ST Love Story!

Kirk and Edith Keeler. She was his Kobyashi Maru -- the no-win scenario. He was in love with her, but had to let her die to save a universe.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 11:16 AM   #3
WendellM
Commodore

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Kirk and Edith Keeler. She was his Kobyashi Maru -- the no-win scenario. He was in love with her, but had to let her die to save a universe.
Agreed. She was in the Depression, but she had a sense of the positive things to come. How could Kirk not fall for that sort of optimism (when he knew that it was right)? And then to have to watch it die...

Gets my vote.
WendellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

The first one that came to mind for me was Picard and Lt. Commander Daren from the ST:NG episode Lessons (6.19). Wendy Hughes, the highly regarded Australian actress who played Daren, brought a naturalistic style to the role, and Patrick Stewart seemed seemed sincerely invigorated to be working with her. The chemistry between them seemed more than genuine.
Old September 24 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Navaros
Commodore

Odo/Kira was the only one that I could take seriously, because it was literally gradually developed over years.

And Quark/ Natima Lang, which I could take seriously because the writers had the wisdom to give them a past relationship, off-screen, that was very well sold by Shimerman's immaculate acting. This went a long way to helping disguise that it was just another lame 'formula episode.'

Other than that, he "love interest of the week" episodes where the characters meet for the first time and the start of the episode, fall in love with around 20 minutes in, then the love interest is either dead or brainwashed or transported away by the end of the episode is just way too hokey, unbelievable & cliched for me to take seriously, thus all of them stick out to me as really bad 'formula episodes'.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Amy Sisson
Writer

Worf/Dax, easily. I loved "Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places." I loved "You Are Cordially Invited". I loved the fact that she could run Klingon circles around him!

I agree with the poster above who enjoyed the chemistry between Picard and Nella Daren.

http://www.amysisson.com
Amy Sisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I can't think of any that I actually thought was believable, except the obvious one in Enterprise which has been shipped to death.
Old September 24 2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Rabittooth
Commander

Odo/Kira.

-Rabittooth
Old September 24 2008, 04:43 PM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I can't think of any that I actually thought was believable, except the obvious one in Enterprise which has been shipped to death.
If you mean the one I think you do... I'm telling you for the last time, it would never have worked between Porthos and Riker.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 12:24 AM   #10
Red Ranger
Admiral

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
If you mean the one I think you do... I'm telling you for the last time, it would never have worked between Porthos and Riker.
Yuk!

Well, aside from Pike and Vina, my other favorite love story was a short one, but I always liked McCoy hooking up with the lovely Yonadan Natira from TOS ep For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky.

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Picard and his wife, Eline, from "The Inner Light". He grew to love her in time. It was a relationship which lasted for decades, even though technically it falls into the one-episode scenario.
"Now we live in you. Tell them of us... my darling."- Eline
Old September 25 2008, 04:03 AM   #12
TheLonelySquire
Vice Admiral

You guys are way off! Easily the greatest love story in Trek lore is Kirk and the Enterprise. "Never lose you! Never!"
TheLonelySquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Dale
Vice Admiral

Squire, you're right.

I did want to say, though, that I enjoyed the Kira/O'Brien lustful flirtation while she was carrying his baby. It was only a couple of episodes long but I dug that tension.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Saxman1
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Picard and his wife, Eline, from "The Inner Light". He grew to love her in time. It was a relationship which lasted for decades, even though technically it falls into the one-episode scenario.
"Now we live in you. Tell them of us... my darling."- Eline
Wow, that made me tear up. Seriously. Pike/Vina, Sisko/Yates and Kirk/Keeler are high on the list, too.
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I honestly don't think romance was one of Trek's greatest strengths. There isn't a single relationship in the history of the franchise that I ever found to be compelling. I think part of it is that so many of the relationships were aliens-of-the-week, or were written so inconsistently that there was no point in getting emotionally wrapped up (Picard/Crusher or Riker/Troi, who kept teasing the audience without any real advancement over the course of the series).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote