Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 24 2008, 02:51 AM   #46
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

^^^Thanks for posting that, Trevanian. It's funny how contradictory this stuff is. One source says there was a script, another says there was a treatment. Curiouser and curiouser.

Back to Bryant and Scott. Susan Sackett quotes a few of their memos. Here's a funny one.

An earlier storyline had the Enterprise emerging millions of years in the future. Ever the humorists, Bryant and Scott sent the following memo under the guise of Gulf and Western's chairman:

TO: GENE RODDENBERRY

It is my policy not to interfere in creative decision processes and this is merely to record my enthusiasm for the story which I read last week. May I, however, ask that in the final sequence when the Enterprise arrives at Earth several millions years in the future there be some indication that the solar system is principally owned by Gulf and Western. Nothing ostentatious, mind you, but just the subtlest of hints to this effect. Keep up the good work.

Susan Sackett, The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, p.33
leandar wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post

I'm forced to wonder if Gene might not have used this as a sort of "work from this direction" sort of thing when they were developing the Galaxy-class for TNG cause there's several things on this proto-design that I can see probably getting incorporated later into the Galaxy-class.
I don't think so. The "D" was inspired by a sketch of Andy Probert's of a ship with low slung flattened nacelles.

Back to the topic at hand...

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; September 24 2008 at 07:09 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 03:29 AM   #47
Good Will Riker
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
yet despite all this, Roddenberry remained optimistic. 'I'm very pleased with the way the film is going,' he enthused at the time.
What a coincidence...

The first 3 words of that sentence are Rick Berman's favorite words.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 03:36 AM   #48
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

There's nothing wrong with being very pleased. It's only when someone beats that phrase into the ground while Rome burns around them that it becomes a punchline.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 04:17 AM   #49
RAMA
Vice Admiral

leandar wrote: View Post

I'm forced to wonder if Gene might not have used this as a sort of "work from this direction" sort of thing when they were developing the Galaxy-class for TNG cause there's several things on this proto-design that I can see probably getting incorporated later into the Galaxy-class.

I love this asteroid docking bay and hope it gets used someday in Star Trek.

Old September 24 2008, 05:04 AM   #50
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^Yep, the inspiration there is pretty clear. In fact, it's almost too close to have been coincidence. Ironically, I think the painting version still looks cooler.
Old September 24 2008, 06:43 AM   #51
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
There's nothing wrong with being very pleased. It's only when someone beats that phrase into the ground while Rome burns around them that it becomes a punchline.
Considering Roddenberry said it just before the production of the film went down in flames... Glad to see the phrase has a provenience.

Gene Roddenberry wrote:
The concept that only a science fiction writer can write science fiction motion pictures is ridiculous. Look at me. I came up with STAR TREK, and I was a dramatic writer. I wrote for TV.'
He certainly was full of his own accomplishments, wasn't he?
Old September 24 2008, 08:11 AM   #52
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well the most striking thing about this "idea" is when I was with another Star Trek fan and we listening to tunes in the car. The song that came up was "Cygnus X-1" from Rush, so I started explaining the song, and its sequel "Hemispheres." The two tracks have a very similar premise to this series.
Old September 24 2008, 10:11 AM   #53
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Tuln wrote: View Post
Well the most striking thing about this "idea" is when I was with another Star Trek fan and we listening to tunes in the car. The song that came up was "Cygnus X-1" from Rush, so I started explaining the song, and its sequel "Hemispheres." The two tracks have a very similar premise to this series.
And what "series" are you talking about?

I'm quite familiar with both songs. In fact, a friend of mine wanted to do an animated film to the former.

Their similarity to the premise seems limited to someone going into a black hole and ending up in the distant past and affecting human history: which means they have a punchline in common, not a story.

It should be pointed out that both songs were released (Sept. 1977 and and October 1978, respectively) after Planet of the Titans was aborted, lest anyone think there was borrowing going on.
Old September 24 2008, 01:23 PM   #54
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Tuln wrote: View Post
And what "series" are you talking about?

I'm quite familiar with both songs. In fact, a friend of mine wanted to do an animated film to the former.

Their similarity to the premise seems limited to someone going into a black hole and ending up in the distant past and affecting human history: which means they have a punchline in common, not a story.

It should be pointed out that both songs were released (Sept. 1977 and and October 1978, respectively) after Planet of the Titans was aborted, lest anyone think there was borrowing going on.
Are any of the musicians Bay Area based? I mean, the mythological aspect sounds Kaufmannesque, and the logic-emotion division mentioned in the wiki thread you cited certainly sounds like something at the heart of traditional trek.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 06:38 PM   #55
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^^^Yep, the inspiration there is pretty clear. In fact, it's almost too close to have been coincidence. Ironically, I think the painting version still looks cooler.

So do I because the PoT painting appears to be more than just a spacedock, but an entire space habitat.
Old September 24 2008, 06:44 PM   #56
Starlock
Rear Admiral

[quote]
Starlock wrote: View Post
It is always nice to see more on ST:POTT around here, but I have to point out here like I did in an earlier thread that the source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by North American Aviation's XB-70 Valkyire and not Star Wars' Star Destroyer. Hence the "McQuarrieprise" can also be thought of as the "Valkyrieprise".
I love the XB-70 Valkyrie's design, and have several books on it.

On the other hand, while there's a similarity, I have to question the veracity of the statement that the "source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by" it. Is there factual information to back this up, or is it just logical supposition? I hate to be hard-nosed about this, but I'm trying to get the record straight here (as much as possible), and this project has enough myth and supposition around it without adding to it, so, if you've got a source, I'd love to hear it.
Even those six impulse engines and the elongated dorsal don't convince you?

I admit I should have stated it better, but since Ralph McQuarrie's early works were largely aircraft paintings might I dare suggest contacting the source? info@ralphmcquarrie.com
You have not experienced Monty Python until you have read him in the original Klingon...
Starlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2008, 08:48 PM   #57
Maurice
Vice Admiral

[quote=Starlock;2103892]
I love the XB-70 Valkyrie's design, and have several books on it.

On the other hand, while there's a similarity, I have to question the veracity of the statement that the "source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by" it. Is there factual information to back this up, or is it just logical supposition? I hate to be hard-nosed about this, but I'm trying to get the record straight here (as much as possible), and this project has enough myth and supposition around it without adding to it, so, if you've got a source, I'd love to hear it.
Even those six impulse engines and the elongated dorsal don't convince you?

I admit I should have stated it better, but since Ralph McQuarrie's early works were largely aircraft paintings might I dare suggest contacting the source? info@ralphmcquarrie.com
Yes, the phrasing was the problem. It's one thing to say "the similiarities and McQuarrie's aviation art background make a strong circumstantial case that this might have influenced the ship's design" and saying "the source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by North American Aviation's XB-70 Valkyire". Some will take the latter statement as factual, when it's (logical) supposition, and there's already far too much supposition in film history and about Planet of the Titans already. That's why I'm being so hard-nosed in this thread about sources. Nothing personal.

I'll try contacting McQuarrie again, but I already tried that in the past and never got a reply from his people (someone I know who sent copies of material in for the Art of book says Ralph doesn't do email). But I'll take another shot.

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; September 25 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old September 25 2008, 07:39 AM   #58
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

(someone I know who sent copies of material in for the Art if book says Ralph doesn't do email).
Which is why he has an email address on his website?
Old September 25 2008, 07:52 AM   #59
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
(someone I know who sent copies of material in for the Art if book says Ralph doesn't do email).
Which is why he has an email address on his website?
You'll notice the email is info@ralphmcquarrie.com and not a name. He's got someone who runs the site for him, apparently.

I checked my old email... I sent an email to that address 4 years ago, got a reply that said my message was passed on to Ralph, and I never heard another thing. *shrug*
Old September 25 2008, 01:34 PM   #60
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I sent something to his site last year, asking if they might caption those trek pics, and got a reply from whoever does the site, saying that was part of the ongoing process, but no further elaboration, although I asked a few other questions as well. Might be a part-time thing.

I had his home phone number back in 95 when I was doing a retrospective on the first SW, but I guess he is seriously press-shy; he never responded to any interview inquiries.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote