RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,400
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 541
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 22 2008, 03:04 AM   #16
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

The Vulcan stuff is in the story, since Spock goes through some ritual that reveals his eventual death to him, which leads him to rejoin the ship when it goes back out in search of the titans.

But whether that stuff is Vulcan or the titanplanet ... it doesn't look like the awesomeweird stuff Adam drew for the space brain on the titan planet, which was like giant rock candy in a way (others have said Liebskind the architect seems to have borrowed from Adam's titans stuff.) But it doesn't look vulcan to me either.

Are there any other pieces of art?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 04:57 AM   #17
Maurice
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
The Vulcan stuff is in the story, since Spock goes through some ritual that reveals his eventual death to him, which leads him to rejoin the ship when it goes back out in search of the titans.

But whether that stuff is Vulcan or the titanplanet ... it doesn't look like the awesomeweird stuff Adam drew for the space brain on the titan planet, which was like giant rock candy in a way (others have said Liebskind the architect seems to have borrowed from Adam's titans stuff.) But it doesn't look vulcan to me either.

Are there any other pieces of art?
You've obviously seen some pieces I haven't, and I've never heard this thing about Spock seeing his own death. Where did you pick up those tidbits?

I'm almost through the art I have that I can confirm as Titans stuff. I have some bits that I'm not sure where they're from, so I hesitate to post them for fear it'll contribute to incorrect folklore about the film.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 05:46 AM   #18
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was from some Susan Sackett stuff, maybe Making of TMP? Either that or one of the unauthorized books from Pioneer. Anybody else confirm my stuff? (I don't have the books anymore.)
Old September 22 2008, 05:50 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Hmmm...I'll have to look through my old Trek books and see if I have that stuff. But I've seen various scripts misdescribed in the books, so I'm cautious about reporting such things as fact. On the other hand, what you describe might well fit with the images I posted...that "hologram" image might well be the ritual you related.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 22 2008, 05:50 AM   #20
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

DS9Sega wrote: View Post

Vulcan interior hallways concept drawing.

McQuarrie labels the corridor as Vulcan, but the curve makes me think Enterprise interior.

But it might also represent the interior of the dome shown in the sketch just to the right.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 05:55 AM   #21
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

My pleasure. I enjoy research, and I'm determiend to set the record straight(er) on this darned slippery project! If only someone had the freaking screenplay that Paramount (rightly or wrongly) rejected!
I would damn near cream my pants if I got a look at the script or even a treatment. Okay, maybe not cream but a fanboy erection might be had.
Old September 22 2008, 05:56 AM   #22
RobertScorpio
Pariah

James Shigeta was very good, very good indeed, in the HAWAII FIVE 0 episode they have posted on his IMDB page..

He plays a Japanese war criminal who may OR may not be trying to kill the American soldiers who ruined his life by not 'breaking' under his pressure...its one of FIVE'0s best, and can be seen on CBS TV .com I think...

HAWAII FIVE 0 is one of my favorite shows, and far superior to Magnum PI, a good show too..but not nearly as good as FIVE 0...IMO..

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2008, 06:58 AM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral

MarianLH wrote: View Post
McQuarrie labels the corridor as Vulcan, but the curve makes me think Enterprise interior.

But it might also represent the interior of the dome shown in the sketch just to the right.
It could, but bear in minds that these images are not necessarily grouped together due to being related. The two images to the left are in the Art of book, the two at right are not. Since they don't appear nor are 're not captioned in the book, I can't say it's likely or impossible.

As to James Shigeta, he's a fine actor, but this thread's about Planet of the Titans and not Phase II/TMP casting minutia: I'd like to keep the focus on Titans, thanks.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 22 2008, 11:31 AM   #24
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

From The Art of Star Trek : Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens

From Lost Voyages of Trek and the Next Generation : Bill Planer

I'm pretty sure Shatner talks about it in Star Trek Movie memories too, but I can't seem to find the book at the moment. He mentions Sulu losing his legs and Kirk getting his "brain seared" (discussed above).

Sorry if the photo's are a bit big, biggles. I'll turn them into links if you want.
Old September 22 2008, 01:56 PM   #25
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Sulu losing his legs is from GOD THING, not TITANS. I saw a show on KTVU Channel 2 in bay area about trek fanhysteria in 75 or 76 that had GR talking about his movie idea (TGT) and he mentioned Sulu getting bionic legs.

I remembered a bit more about the titans story (again, whether it was her starlog stuff or the making of tmp book, I don't recall.) New Enterprise Capt was named Westlake and I guess he tries to recruit spock for the mission unsuccessfully. Then, Spock joins up after having this vision shown to him.
Old September 22 2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^That summary is a very slightly reworded copy (plagiarized) of Susan Sackett's summary of the script from The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which he quotes at the end: but the whole paragraph above is little more than a paraphrase. That summary leaves out the details that Trevanian mentions, which are in Sackett's version, which I'll quote later.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 22 2008, 08:54 PM   #27
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

^^^That summary is a very slightly reworded copy (plagiarized) of Susan Sackett's summary of the script from The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Oh, I'm sure it is

The book is about as unofficial as you can get. Only got about 20 photo's and most of those are obscure publicity shots.
Old September 23 2008, 01:03 AM   #28
Procutus
Admiral

As to James Shigeta, he's a fine actor, but this thread's about Planet of the Titans and not Phase II/TMP casting minutia: I'd like to keep the focus on Titans, thanks.

My bad. I only brought it up because of the mention of Mifune as a Klingon (which, BTW, would've been awesome if that had come to pass).

Thanks again, I am really enjoying this thread. I always liked the idea behind PotT; it's a shame it never got greenlighted.
Old September 23 2008, 01:54 AM   #29
trevanian
Rear Admiral

One more source of info on TITANS that is coming soon is the new book about Ken Adam. There was a small mention with pics in the book that came out two years ago, and in the book that accompanied his exhibition in 99, but I'm guessing based on the size of the new one, that it will have more.

I think it publishes in the UK around now, and we'll get it round thanskgiving. I've been hoping that the publisher can cross promote it with the new bond movie, since Dennis Gassner is trying to make this new one look like a Ken Adam designed project.
Old September 23 2008, 02:48 AM   #30
Data Holmes
Admiral

I am so loving this thread. I love all the "treks not taken" stuff. Great job DS9Sega!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
James Shigeta was going to play Nogura if the Phase II series had progressed.
Where did you hear this? I know Shigeta played Nogura in a fan film called Yorktown II back in the late '80s or so; Starlog covered it, since it was apparently a pretty prominent fan film with involvement from many professionals including George Takei (with the filmmaker playing Sulu's son), Andrew Probert (who designed a Klingon scout ship for it), and composer Bill Conti. But I don't remember anything about Shigeta being slated for Phase II.
I so wish this would make it's way onto the internet already!!!