Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Odyssey"
SUPER 6 12.00%
Above Average 27 54.00%
Average 13 26.00%
Below Average 3 6.00%
BIZARRO 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21 2008, 01:22 AM   #151
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Smallville#801 "Odyssey" - Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

There was something different about the anatomy and the feel of the entire program. I could tell that someone else was in charge, not that that wasn't a bad thing... Apart from the white slaving in what seemed like still soviet Russia, and Jimmy not having his testes removed for back peddling on a marriage proposal this one of the strongest episodes of Smallville I have seen in years.

Still some glaring wholes.

The Sarah Palin Joke was hilarious. Although I do wonder if Lex's brain hasn't been transferred into her body after all his limbs fell off from frostbite. that thing with the desk was "entitlement", which means she's either another missing sibling or she was almost a spouse. Didn't care for the actress, I was expecting a blonde and then I got a completely Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist in that Bond flick vibe whenever Cassidy spat vitriol and pranced. There's something strangely catlike about her eyes.

I really like Lois's new hair. She's lost weight too. And she talks less like a sailor. nice to see her with a gun. i have no idea why Clark didn't enter that complex with a shotgun and nine pounds of c4, if he was going to be the slightest bit effective against Lex Corp security.

Chloe with No make up was nice in setting the scene for being a prisoner, but what the hell was with the grey/silver nail polish? So her jailers admit some cosmetics but not others? Or was it an out ward manifestation of her MENTAT abilities? As soon as I saw that her brain all super charged, I figured that she was being courted by Brainiac V from the Legion of Superheroes who had to justify his physical attraction for Chloe in the future by retroactively renovating her mind some months before they met till she wasn't an embarrassment, the same way my cousin Walter puts make-up on monkeys before he...

Welling. Worse Driver than Chakotay. Seriously, he deserved to be shot if that's how he plans his escape after a month in captivity. And what the fuck was all that buddy loyalty the league and Clark were sharing? That's bullshit! He was a conscientious objector who didn't give a shit about the larger picture because life on the farm was snug. Meanwhile it was Chloe who was Oliver's friend who worked with the League and should have been their primary focus as far as it went for looking for their MIA.

O. By the way "wow". Aquaman took some classes and learnt how to act. It is the same guy? because words were coming out of his mouth and it didn't seem like he had a reading age of 7. Good for him. Although I still would have wanted more Bart, even after what he did to Veronica Mars.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:29 AM   #152
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The Sarah Palin Joke was hilarious.
Well, to be fair, it wasn't a "Sarah Palin joke" considering that the episode was written and produced months before anyone even knew who Palin was.

if he was going to be the slightest bit effective against Lex Corp security
A quadruple amputee holding wirh his mouth a board with a rusty nail in it could be effective against Lex Corp security.
Old September 21 2008, 02:42 AM   #153
Agent Richard07
Admiral

- SUPER, 'cuz it was entertaining.

- Clark disappears for the summer, comes back and things are back to normal. What did you people expect, something new after 7 years?

- Okay, there were a few changes and I liked them, mainly Clark working at the Planet now.

- Speaking of which, I really want to see Perry White. And no Trekker, NO recasting. I want to see Michael McKean drop by.

- As I was watching, it hit me... I know what Smallville's Superman costume should look like. It's something that would fit right in with the other Justice League costumes. It kinda looks like the Eradicator's costume from when he was Superman. It would even hide Clark's identity about as well as Ollie's suit hides his.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:46 AM   #154
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It would probably look like superboy. Clarks so fond of his jacket that I could see a leather jacket like cape.

but wearing the Reeve suit as Kevin would probably say on the Office would be "AWESOME"

NO ROUTH SUIT!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 02:52 AM   #155
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- Speaking of which, I really want to see Perry White. And no Trekker, NO recasting. I want to see Michael McKean drop by.
I'd prefer McKean back too (I like him as an actor. Not an "ideal" Perry White in my mind but he did a good job) but if it comes down to either having Perry White under a different actor or no Perry White at all...

I'm sorry, I'd rather go for the former. I'm usually no fan of recasting myself, but for me it's a bigger problem when done with a regular (or even semi-regular) cast member when the actor has "made a name" for the part. But considering White has made one apperance I think we'd be fine if it has to come down to a recast.
Old September 21 2008, 02:57 AM   #156
Aragorn
Admiral

But Michael McKean doesn't look like a 20-something GQ cover model with rock hard abs!!!

Which, by the way, is also the description on the Smallville casting sheet for the President of the United States, a four-star general in the U.S. Army and a three-time Nobel Prize winner.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 03:03 AM   #157
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It would probably look like superboy. Clarks so fond of his jacket that I could see a leather jacket like cape.

but wearing the Reeve suit as Kevin would probably say on the Office would be "AWESOME"

NO ROUTH SUIT!
This episode was actually the first time I decided that the traditional suit wouldn't fit in with Smallvillle, mainly because of what the other Justice League members are wearing. The new Superboy? I dunno. I still think he needs a cape. For those of you who don't know what the Eradicator costume looked like, here it is...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'd prefer McKean back too (I like him as an actor. Not an "ideal" Perry White in my mind but he did a good job) but if it comes down to either having Perry White under a different actor or no Perry White at all...

I'm sorry, I'd rather go for the former. I'm usually no fan of recasting myself, but for me it's a bigger problem when done with a regular (or even semi-regular) cast member when the actor has "made a name" for the part. But considering White has made one apperance I think we'd be fine if it has to come down to a recast.
For me, the Perry we saw wasn't a bit part like one of the freaks-of-the-week that was recast. He's a big enough character and McKean was so memorable that I can't accept a recasting.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 03:12 AM   #158
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

That would be weird if McKean was a regular on the show that his wife is no longer a regular on.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 03:59 AM   #159
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Oh, yeah, Chloe, "We won't throw you in jail for 20 years if you work for us for a year..." Maybe you should have gotten that in writing? What's to stop them from just keeping you as their sex slave for the rest of your life?
Don't mention "Chloe" and "sex slave" together; you'll excite too many people here.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 07:01 AM   #160
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The show is so much better when it just says 'screw it' and really embraces it's inner "Superman". it's when "Smallville" rears its head that the show just gets stupid and contrived. Case in the point, the way Clark got to the Daily Planet... makes no sense. That's the "Smallville" in it. But once you realize, hey, it's clark and lois working across from each other at the daily planet, and it's not just them doing it once "foreshadowing" it's really happening, it almost feels magical. I recently caught the episode Apocalypse from the previous season... when I saw Clark, interacting with bowtie Jimmy, and honest to god reporter Lois... putting on the glasses, I was like, holy shit, I can actually see a REAL Superman show with this cast.

But it was a mirage, because the "Smallville" in the show always comes back. the show gives you tantalizing glimpses of greatness before yanking it away, and laughing at you with its contrived stupidity.

About two seasons ago they should have just jumped forward and launched "Metropolis" starring Welling, Durance, Rosenbaum, and that Ashmore kid as Jimmy, with McKean as Perry.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2008, 12:12 PM   #161
Mitty
Vice Admiral

While we wait, here's a nice pic of Allison Mack that I found recently...

Okay, add her to the list of women I'd turn for. She's gorgeous.
Old September 21 2008, 01:50 PM   #162
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
the show gives you tantalizing glimpses of greatness before yanking it away, and laughing at you with its contrived stupidity.
I wish I could say that wasn't 110% accurate....
Old September 21 2008, 10:23 PM   #163
nx1701g
Admiral

Well I'm finally getting the opportunity to watch it as a replay. I should be able to give my opinion shortly.
Old September 21 2008, 11:51 PM   #164
Procutus
Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Oh, yeah, Chloe, "We won't throw you in jail for 20 years if you work for us for a year..." Maybe you should have gotten that in writing? What's to stop them from just keeping you as their sex slave for the rest of your life?
Don't mention "Chloe" and "sex slave" together; you'll excite too many people here.

Indeed.

Old September 22 2008, 12:12 AM   #165
nx1701g
Admiral

Why the hell does AquaBro get naked in every episode that he appears in? He even tried it on American Idol!