CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 17 2008, 06:07 PM   #31
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Humor on nuBSG

^
I'll have to disagree on "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down". I re-watched it yesterday and find that it's far more like a 'comedy' episode in parts.

For example, the confrontation between Roslin and Adama over the fact that she thinks he's a Cylon isn't played like the usual drama but exaggerated for laughs. That's certainly how I perceived it.

There's a good reference to this scene in Jammer's review of the episode, I think:

"Up to now the episode is a muddled mix of suspicion and drunken behavior. The episode's definitive breakdown comes with the "payoff" scene in the lab, where Baltar is asked to first run a Cylon test on Adama (Roslin's request) and then on Ellen (Adama's request), and then all the threads crash into each other with everyone arriving in the lab and arguing. The scene is played as screwball comedy, but that's a miscalculation. There's simply nothing funny about the idea that these people are suspecting each other of being Cylons. Going to such a place should be sad, or scary, or painful, or insulting -- anything, really, but funny. This proves to be a very odd -- and unworkable -- choice. The characters -- especially Roslin after airing suspicions about Adama, of all people -- back away from and are let off the hook of their paranoia far too easily."

http://www.jammersreviews.com/bsg/s1/tigh.php
Old September 17 2008, 06:36 PM   #32
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

BSG just needs to have an episode where they all take a break and play Pyramid.
Old September 17 2008, 07:10 PM   #33
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
"Take me out to the Pyramid court"?
Old September 19 2008, 09:54 AM   #34
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Roslin: "Sorry about the mess. It's a bit of a ritual, superstition, really. I used to do this before testifying at committee hearings. This is what I'd do. I'd take a [sheet of paper], memorize a talking point, tear the card *tears the card and throws away the pieces*, let the pieces fall as they may. It helps."

Adama. "You know, my father used to break pencils before he'd go into court. He'd borrow one from the clerk. Break preconceptions, work with what you have."

Roslin: "You know, I like that. Let me see. *grabs pencil* I like it. *breaks pencil, throws pieces away, exhales* That's good."

Adama: "Feel better?" [the slightest of grins is visible on Adama's face

Roslin: "Yeah. But what happens if the...ah...moderator doesn't have a pencil?"

Adama: "Then you're pretty screwed."

Poor Roslin starts giggling and won't come down again . I think that's a wonderful and funny scene. It really evolves from the moment and works because the character know each other so well.
Old September 19 2008, 10:05 AM   #35
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post

Poor Roslin starts giggling and won't come down again . I think that's a wonderful and funny scene. It really evolves from the moment and works because the character know each other so well.
That's precisely the kind of scripted hysteria I mentioned earlier that isn't actually supposed to be funny, as far as I can see.
Old September 19 2008, 10:16 AM   #36
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
How's that NOT supposed to be funny?
Old September 19 2008, 10:20 AM   #37
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Because it's not?
Old September 19 2008, 10:32 AM   #38
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
But it is! At least I think so.

It would seem we have a different understanding of humor. Or is it that what you're maintaining that while what's on screen is funny, it wasn't meant to be funny when it was written?