Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 18 2008, 12:46 PM   #16
ITL
Vice Admiral

Re: Dexter S1-S2 (spoilers!), what will happen in S3?

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I'm trying not to speculate too much on where the show is going. I don't even want to idly speculate and guess at what's coming. There are things from the books I'd kinda like to see, but I'm not even sure on how it could be done without lessening the show (or perhaps going too far for viewers) some how.

Having seen the first episode of season 3 I won't mention what you're right about, but I will say you're spot on about a certain thing... just to throw a tease in there.
I'm glad I read this post, Bob - because of it I, too, have now seen 0301. And all I will say is that once again I'm hooked. It's back. And it's great.

One of the many things I love about this show is the constant tension. You always think something's going to snap. There's not many shows that can do this with such finesse, IMO.

ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

ITL wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I'm trying not to speculate too much on where the show is going. I don't even want to idly speculate and guess at what's coming. There are things from the books I'd kinda like to see, but I'm not even sure on how it could be done without lessening the show (or perhaps going too far for viewers) some how.

Having seen the first episode of season 3 I won't mention what you're right about, but I will say you're spot on about a certain thing... just to throw a tease in there.
I'm glad I read this post, Bob - because of it I, too, have now seen 0301. And all I will say is that once again I'm hooked. It's back. And it's great.

One of the many things I love about this show is the constant tension. You always think something's going to snap. There's not many shows that can do this with such finesse, IMO.

It's just a shame that it'll be a couple more weeks till the next one... I just couldn't resist the temptation of the pre-air...
Old September 18 2008, 01:40 PM   #18
ITL
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I resisted for...ooh...two seconds?

ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 08:57 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I can't think of any show that manages to keep things at such a consistently high level of tension, not even 24. And Dexter accomplishes it without the absurdities of 24. There are a few little moments - why didn't the FBI bother to guard Dexter's bathroom window? But nothing like a handy device that causes power plants to melt down.

Too bad about the "supernatural" elements getting into the books. That's really not the way to go with this story, book or TV, but of the two, keeping the TV series at a high level of quality is more important to me. The books are just something to do while waiting for new DVDs.

Remember near the end of "Born Free," just after they rescued Deb, when Doakes seemed to "hear" Dexter's voice-over? I guess that was just an in-joke. I was worried they were going to have Doakes become psychic.

Speaking of supernatural elements, I did take note of Dexter's theory at the end of "The British Invasion" that some higher power wants him to keep doing his work. No doubt a reference to the 12-Step program theme, but if Dexter ever starts thinking he's God's instrument, or Satan's, that could be spooky. He mentioned something about Satan having miracles, too.

And there was that easily-overlooked moment (I only noticed it when I watched the second time through) - at the beginning of "The Dark Defender," when Dex paid for the coffee of the woman in front of him who was holding a kid, she said "You're a godsend." Hmmm.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Watching the S3 premiere right now.... I expect it to be super awesome.

Edit: Holy Crap. They just took this show to a new level.

Last edited by Boneshaker; September 19 2008 at 12:45 AM.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 12:52 AM   #21
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Edit: Holy Crap. They just took this show to a new level.

Over where they left it in Season Two?

I can't even imagine what that level would be.
Old September 19 2008, 12:54 AM   #22
stj
Rear Admiral

We're Netflixing Season 4 of Six Feet Under. Soon as that's finished, we're opening the new box of Dexter Season 2. We're waiting so we don't see David Fisher instead of Dexter Morgan. Or vice versa.

The series needs to get further and further away from the truly godawful books. The TV show is pretty much a silk purse made from a sow's ear. Still, since the show is fundamentally Dexter Goes Sane, resolution will be difficult. I'm afraid they'll chicken out in the end.

Speaking of ends, I wonder if the writers will remember that true crime writers (as well as PDs seeking to close old cases) will research Brian Moser's past. Harry might have disappeared files on the Mommy Moser death scene. But birth records for both children seem out of his reach. Plus, BioDad has a documented connection to both Brian and Dexter! And really, it does seem likely that any true crime writer worth his or her salt would talk to people who might remember Harry keeping a child kept at a crime scene. Just talking to people around Deborah would likely bring that up. In short, it is pretty much impossible that all Dexter's big secrets would be so secret.

I guess that will just have to be laid to willing suspension of disbelief. I've already managed to convince myself that Dexter is a greater detective than Batman!
Old September 19 2008, 04:00 AM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

We're Netflixing Season 4 of Six Feet Under.
I should watch that someday but don't want to. I don't want to see MCH "cheating" on Dexter.

Still, since the show is fundamentally Dexter Goes Sane
Is it? I was thinking (hoping) that S3 might start to kick Dex off a cliff into really bad places. That seems to be the place they need to go - ramp up the dramatic tension, don't defuse it.

I have no idea how they'll end all this. I can't even form a hypothesis.

From what I've read (just the first book so far), the TV show is definitely an improvement over the shallow characters and emotionally-distancing snarkiness of the novels. I guess they're supposed to be that way - just a breezy read in the detective fiction genre. The TV show aims higher, that's all.

I've already managed to convince myself that Dexter is a greater detective than Batman!
Only because he didn't give Batman enough time to prepare.