Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 18 2008, 11:30 PM   #421
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
It's like if say Family A watched channel 1 at 8 on a Friday, Family B watched channel 2 at same time, and Family C watched channel 3, yet all three families taped the same show that was showing the same time on channel 4. The channel 4 show would be physically watched by three times as many people, but wouldn't even show up on the Nielsons.

But I'm sure the money-making machine weighs up the revenue from downloads, selling to other networks, and DVD sales against lost advertising revenue. These secret calculations are the ones that decide if a show lives or dies.
Nope. The people who tape a show and watch it, or watch it anywhere else don't matter one little bit. You see, a network executive (as well as companies buying commercial time) don't give a single wit about how many people watch the show. What matters, is how many people watch the COMMERCIALS. The more people watch the commercials, the more money you can ask a company to pay for a commercial during that time slot, the more money you make. Not enough people watch the commercials, the money you can ask is too low to make a profit, and the show wasn't a good enough advertiser for the commercials, and it gets canceled. That, after all, is what TV shows are: nothing but interesting trailers for the commercials so people watch those. In a taped show you zip past commercials, on DVDs there are none. There is no revenue for a network or tv channel in taped shows and DVDs, so they're not counted.
Old September 19 2008, 12:41 AM   #422
ATimson
Rear Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
In a taped show you zip past commercials, on DVDs there are none. There is no revenue for a network or tv channel in taped shows and DVDs, so they're not counted.
They're not counted by the network, but they are counted by the production company, and should translate into a lower charge to the network (which means fewer eyeballs necessary to pay for the show).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old September 19 2008, 02:22 AM   #423
3D Master
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
In a taped show you zip past commercials, on DVDs there are none. There is no revenue for a network or tv channel in taped shows and DVDs, so they're not counted.
They're not counted by the network, but they are counted by the production company, and should translate into a lower charge to the network (which means fewer eyeballs necessary to pay for the show).
That's not the way it works. Sales are revenues that come AFTER the show is on TV. The budget given to make the show, is entirely for the network, BEFORE it goes on tv. Sales have NO impact AT ALL to what the network has to pay to get a show made.
Old September 19 2008, 11:49 PM   #424
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

That's not the way it works. Sales are revenues that come AFTER the show is on TV. The budget given to make the show, is entirely for the network, BEFORE it goes on tv. Sales have NO impact AT ALL to what the network has to pay to get a show made.
Yeah of course, you guys don't have the "wonder" of the UK known as the BBC. Where, even if you never, ever, EVER watch a single show on ANY of their channels, you still have to pay them £130 a year for the RIGHT to have a TV in your home!!

I've no idea if anywhere else in the world works like this, but it's the reason that some of the Digital BBC Channels get a bad rip (BBC4 escpecially), cos to be honest they're crap, yet everyone in the entire country pays for the programmes on them.

I
Old September 20 2008, 12:23 AM   #425
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Yeah of course, you guys don't have the "wonder" of the UK known as the BBC. Where, even if you never, ever, EVER watch a single show on ANY of their channels, you still have to pay them £130 a year for the RIGHT to have a TV in your home!!

I've no idea if anywhere else in the world works like this, but it's the reason that some of the Digital BBC Channels get a bad rip (BBC4 escpecially), cos to be honest they're crap, yet everyone in the entire country pays for the programmes on them.
You guys? I'm Dutch. We pay for public tv as well. In fact we pay a little more, I think, although that includes a whole slew of non-public channels. Thing is though, I hardly watch tv anymore, I watch good tv shows among other things on DVD. I hate having to schedule my life around the damn thing, I much rather say: then I want to watch some tv, and I'll be choosing what I'll be watching at that time.
Old September 20 2008, 09:30 AM   #426
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Try Germany. We have the "GEZ" which isn't even a tv channel. There an institution with no other task but to rake in the cash.
If you have a tv, you have to pay something like 17 € per month. If you have a radio (including your car radio), you have to pay 5 € per month.
And, and this is the best part, companies with internet-enabled computers also have to pay the fee (though I think it's slightly reduced) because, who knows, you might venture out and use the public tv stations' internet services. There was talk about a fee on private computers as well but I'm not sure that was ever realized.
If you're not paying, they'll send you letters where they're all but threatening punishment for not paying and where they demand you respond (whether you have a tv/radio) or not. The irony is that you don't actually have to respond even though they make it sound like you do.
Also, if they come up to your door you are not obliged to to let them in. So, as a consequence, they'll sometimes pretend to be with the public tv channels, just taking a survey, and try to find out if you're failing to pay that way.
What's really annoying is how insatiable our public broadcasting services have become. Whereas everyone else on the planet looks at their budgets and plans accordingly. They simply plan ever grander schemes - new channels, new orchestras, new internet services, etc. - and then demand the monthly fee be raised. And sadly, most politicians are happy just to play along with it all.
It's ironic, really, that in a time where there are cuts in the health or education system there's no politician with the guts to really cut down on the whole public broadcasting service. The first thing to go should be the intolerable "GEZ".

So I totally know where you're coming from.
Old September 20 2008, 04:36 PM   #427
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

OMG I thought it was just us!!

It's definately seems a strange situation that a company can sit on their butts doing nothing and rake the money in. In theory, the Beeb could just show a couple of months of nothing but repeats - not like they'd lose revenue (but would have a hell of a public back-lash!).

With us though unlike the GEZ, the BBC do have a lot of enforcement powers, and can fine you £1,000 for not having a TV Licence. Even if proven that you use it only for video/DVD and don't even have any way of receiving broadcasts! We don't get charged for just radois though.

The BBC are similar in that they produce loads of programmes, such as real gems like "snog, marry, avoid", "When beauty goes wrong", etc. There are a few good programmes on there, but I personally would rather see the good programmes on BBC1 and/or BBC2, whereas they show repeats instead of good new content. Hell, they even tried burying "Torchwood" on BBC3, until they realsied that people actually wanted to watch it, so it ended up shown on BBC3, then repeated in the same week on BBC2.

Oh crap that reminds me, forgot to set up me direct debit - better phone 'em!
Old September 20 2008, 06:00 PM   #428
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
You can get find in Germany as well. However, the burden's pretty much on them. And since they can't force their way into your home (not sure about any sensors they might be using) unless you actually state you have a TV yourself or they catch you lying (e.g. through those fake surveys), there's not that much they can do, really.
Old March 12 2009, 04:35 AM   #429
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

worst ratings since Painkiller Jayne

and why these Skiffy idiots have green-lit Caprica?
Old March 12 2009, 04:49 AM   #430
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Can we get a mod to close this thread so it can stay dead.
Old March 12 2009, 05:06 AM   #431
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Students, this next graph demonstrates people's interest in TheMasterOfOrion's posts over time.
Old March 12 2009, 05:56 AM   #432
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Isnt this a warnable offennse? Bumping months old topics for no reason and adding nothing of value?
Old March 12 2009, 06:06 AM   #433
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
But if it gets closed then we will have to live without the constant reminder that nuBSG sucks, as the ratings clearly show. How will we ever learn?!?

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 12 2009, 06:13 AM   #434
Dream
Admiral

This topic keeps resurrecting itelf! It's part Cylon.
Old March 12 2009, 07:36 AM   #435
dru
Fleet Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I don't see why. There were new episodes again and thus new ratings.