Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old September 18 2008, 04:41 PM   #31
Harvey
Admiral

Re: SG1 10x06: 200

DWF wrote: View Post
Blame Robert C Cooper but all of the writers had a hand in it, although the final line is a classic.

ANDERS: Science-fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blind critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, it's essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.
I can't stand that final line in the episode. This is no Jose Chung's From Outer Space (or Doomsday Defense). There's never any deeper meaning to the happenings of 200, just a lot of cheap laughs. Some of them good laughs, even great laughs. But this line doesn't serve to punctuate anything that has been set up over the course of 42 minutes. And for a series that, in many ways, has become a trivial shoot-em-up, I wonder if Asimov would have felt this way about Stargate at all.

But, of course, others will disagree.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 18 2008, 04:45 PM   #32
witchie
Commodore

Neroon wrote: View Post
Sooooo.... 200.

I have to wonder just whose idea this episode was in the first place. We know who the writers were, but who was up at 2:35 in the morning after a long day at work and a few too many drinks that came up with this bit of insanity?
It does make you wonder.

I didn't like the ep. I wasn't amused. Like Kpnuts, DeLuise's rant was just juvenile. But that's my opinion. Obviously many of you enjoyed it.
Old September 18 2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Kpnuts
Commodore

It's symptomatic of the dumbing down of the franchise over the last few years. SG-1 used to take itself far more seriously back in the good old days, then just became a downhill running joke by seasons 8, 9 and 10. In fact the O'Neill character seems to have mirrored this fall from grace perfectly. 200 was the icing on the cake.
Old September 18 2008, 09:22 PM   #34
DWF
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Blame Robert C Cooper but all of the writers had a hand in it, although the final line is a classic.

ANDERS: Science-fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blind critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, it's essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.
I can't stand that final line in the episode. This is no Jose Chung's From Outer Space (or Doomsday Defense). There's never any deeper meaning to the happenings of 200, just a lot of cheap laughs. Some of them good laughs, even great laughs. But this line doesn't serve to punctuate anything that has been set up over the course of 42 minutes. And for a series that, in many ways, has become a trivial shoot-em-up, I wonder if Asimov would have felt this way about Stargate at all.

But, of course, others will disagree.
How about what Stargate SG1 had set up over the last ten years of the show and science fiction in general?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old September 20 2008, 03:29 AM   #35
Australis
Writer

I still think the last line of Anders is great, simply because it distills everything you need to know about SF in one sentence. Uh, two sentences.

200 isn't about Stargate as much as being about making a TV show. All the pitfalls, all the restrictions, all the fan whining, all the interference from suits. Taken ion that level, it's very cool, the production team kind of saying "this is what we have to go through to bring you something to watch".

I think it's a very good ep. Yes, there are a few dodgy bits, like the aforementioned Peter deLuise swearing bit, but overall came out fine.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old September 21 2008, 02:55 PM   #36
rac76
Captain

I enjoyed the episode especially with the puppets..classic (IMO). Yet, I didn't like the rant at the end, I felt that it was out of place, and it made me feel uncomfortable. I wonder why they decided to stick it in there for? Overall, it was a fun little episode that was different and light hearted. Also I want to say that season 10 was good, I think that they all finally felt comfortable with the changes.