Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 12 2008, 03:30 AM   #16
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: The meeting in Star Trek VI

EnsignYoshi wrote: View Post
On later viewing I noticed crewmen Burke and Samno, when the klingons just arrived on board Enterprise, complaining about klingon hygiene etc. Suddenly they bump into val'eris, which asks: "don't you men have work".
I'm not quite sure if I interpreted correctly, but I'm pretty sure she told them to get on with boarding the klingon ship.
Wow! I never put that together before. You've just improved this film for me, and I already loved it. Thanks!

I never realized, until I read it here a while ago, that the character Col. West was a reference to Col. Oliver North, who had garnered some notariaty at the time.
Old September 12 2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

T'Cal wrote: View Post
EnsignYoshi wrote: View Post
On later viewing I noticed crewmen Burke and Samno, when the klingons just arrived on board Enterprise, complaining about klingon hygiene etc. Suddenly they bump into val'eris, which asks: "don't you men have work".
I'm not quite sure if I interpreted correctly, but I'm pretty sure she told them to get on with boarding the klingon ship.
Wow! I never put that together before. You've just improved this film for me, and I already loved it. Thanks!
Have you got to the realization about why Valeris shoots a phaser in the galley rather than just reminding Chekov about the alarm?
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 09:01 PM   #18
Guartho
Rear Admiral

No, why is that? To have an excuse for her 'prints' being on it or something?

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 03:57 PM   #19
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I never noticed the Cartwright stuff, but I was hip to Valeris pretty quick when she snuck up on Kirk's quarters and later when she was loitering around the transporter room.

I was 11 and didn't catch much subtlety at the time but saw the sure fire stuff.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 08:52 PM   #20
ClayinCA
Commodore

Yeah, I never thought there was the least amount of doubt that Valeris was the traitor (once it was established that there, in fact, was a traitor). I was astounded when I realized there was supposed to be suspense about the issue. It's one of the only things about The Undiscovered Country that doesn't quite gel for me.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2008, 09:10 AM   #21
Timo
Admiral

It would have been so much better had they used the established "good guy" character of Saavik for that...

I mean, she would still have been automatically more suspect than the main heroes, but at least there would have been some sort of emotional significance to her turning to the dark side.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2008, 03:40 PM   #22
ClayinCA
Commodore

Yeah, I would have hated that they'd done that with Saavik, but it would have given more consequence to the storyline, and a lot more emotional weight to Spock's interrogation and overall sense of betrayal.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2008, 07:58 PM   #23
Data Holmes
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
It would have been so much better had they used the established "good guy" character of Saavik for that...

I mean, she would still have been automatically more suspect than the main heroes, but at least there would have been some sort of emotional significance to her turning to the dark side.

Timo Saloniemi
I would have had saavik turn traitor, but I would have also had Valaris show up as a new character and the new protege of spock and younger than saavik. Both of them would have been on the enterprise, with one setting the other to look like the traitor and the two constantly having a bit of hostility between the two but hiding it in front of spock...

Would have made the enterprise part of the story much more interesting.