Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 16 2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Iron Man: SOB (SPOILERS)

At least with Spiderman they had people put the obvious dots together several times throughout the series, I mean Frederick Foswell nearly figured it out back in ASM 50 when he saw that Peter had quit the Bugle soon after Spidey "quit" being a hero.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 01:44 AM   #17
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Clark Kent is the only person who can get in touch with Superman
I would say Lois would be thought of more than Clark concerning Supes.
I'm citing how it was actually depicted in the comics back in the day.
Old September 16 2008, 02:15 AM   #18
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Clark Kent is the only person who can get in touch with Superman
I would say Lois would be thought of more than Clark concerning Supes.
Or Jimmy Olsen, since he's got the signal watch.
Old September 16 2008, 03:13 AM   #19
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

It's an easy way to include stuff that doesn't fit into the main picture very well.

In IM's case, they had a great ending; it would have lessened the effect to tack on an extra scene.
I would have preferred that they put the scene after the animated credits, personally, rather than the entire credits. The reason for that is that it I think it's timed better, because many people left the theater without even realizing the extra scene existed. They didn't want to wait five minutes for that.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 03:44 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
It's an easy way to include stuff that doesn't fit into the main picture very well.

In IM's case, they had a great ending; it would have lessened the effect to tack on an extra scene.
I would have preferred that they put the scene after the animated credits, personally, rather than the entire credits. The reason for that is that it I think it's timed better, because many people left the theater without even realizing the extra scene existed. They didn't want to wait five minutes for that.
I believe if people can't be bothered to wait five minutes to read the names of the people that took the time to make the movie they shouldn't be rewarded with things like post credit scenes.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 07:56 AM   #21
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
the threats caused by people stealing his weapons were (as far as he knew) silenced. ..he was basically done with being Shellhead.
Negative-- did you see the list of shipping manifests he had Pepper pull from the SI database? There are dozens of missions left to go on. That was part of the reason Pepper wanted to quit, because Tony said all that was left was the next mission.
Old September 16 2008, 04:49 PM   #22
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
The bodyguard thing doesn't make much sense anyway. Consider why superheroes have a secret identity:
1) To protect those closest to them from reprisals by their enemies.
2) To protect themselves from reprisals, justified or otherwise, by law enforcement and government agencies (as well as their enemies).
3) To give themselves breathing space, so that they don't have to be in persona 24 hours a day.
The secret identity cliche that really gets me, which was quite common in the Silver Age, is when a hero's secret ID is generally known to the be the only person who can get ahold of the hero. Clark Kent is the only person who can get in touch with Superman; Don Blake is the only person who can get in touch with Thor; Matt Murdock is the only person who can get in touch with Daredevil. I know that good deal of suspension of disbelief has to go into the whole secret ID schtick, but could these people be any more obvious? If I were trying to figure out a hero's secret ID, the person who's known as the only one who can get in touch with the hero is the first person I'd look at.
Very similar point. Even if that person isn't the hero, they're making themselves a target by being closely associated with the hero. Like I said, Tony has made himself a target by declaring himself as Iron Man's employer, even if he's not the one in the suit. (The fact that he is in the suit is just icing on the cake.) The same is true for Lois, Jimmy, etc. Batman can't tell Jim Gordon who he is without risking being arrested, but there was never any reason for Clark not to tell Lois and Jimmy.
Old September 16 2008, 04:50 PM   #23
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Good catch, I'd forgotten that.

Still, Tony MUST consider himself protected from any repurcussions from being an outlaw and vigilante. Like it or not, he's still an American citizen and will be subject to its laws. I guess joining the Avengers would save him from various legalities from causing mass damage and death as he did in the first movie...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

I don't think Tony was worried about legal and monetary repercussions-- after all his company is HELLA rich and can afford great lawyers.
Old September 17 2008, 01:46 AM   #25
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Very similar point. Even if that person isn't the hero, they're making themselves a target by being closely associated with the hero. Like I said, Tony has made himself a target by declaring himself as Iron Man's employer, even if he's not the one in the suit. (The fact that he is in the suit is just icing on the cake.) The same is true for Lois, Jimmy, etc. Batman can't tell Jim Gordon who he is without risking being arrested, but there was never any reason for Clark not to tell Lois and Jimmy.
FWIW, in the early comics before they came up with the bodyguard alibi, Stark and his company were already routine targets for various commie operatives and super-powered nutjobs. Iron Man spent most of his time saving Stark Industries. So the bodyguard story gave an excuse for an association that was already there, and wasn't likely to draw any more negative attention to Stark than he was already getting.

It also makes sense that somebody like Stark would build the suit, but hir somebody else to wear it.

I always thought it was kind of silly that, the odd brief impersonation aside, Stark and his "bodyguard" were never seen together, and nobody seemed to make much of this.