Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 16 2008, 12:59 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Kurtzman And Orci Say 'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

Star Trek XI co-writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci drew inspiration from The Wrath of Khan when penning Star Trek XI, finding it most like their movie.

As reported by Iesb.net, when asked which of the previous ten movies was most like Star Trek XI, at first, Orci wasn't sure how to answer the question. "In some ways, it shares the spirit with so many of them and in some ways it's...I don't know."

Kurtzman thought about the question and said, "Tough question to answer, just because there are so many different things. I guess the best way for me to answer is I can tell you that the movie for me that affected me the most as a kid was 'Wrath of Khan.' And that movie stood out for me because it had an unbelievable bad guy and the stakes just never felt higher."

Orci agreed, adding, "And every character was at their most actualized. It really had the classic delivery for every character, they are finally their full selves in that movie I think, more than any of the features."

"And obviously the relationship between Kirk and Spock in that movie was as good as it gets," said Kurtzman. "So, I think, that must have, or that contributed to our approach."

To read the article, head to the link located here.

Old September 16 2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Kurtzman And Orci Say 'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

Interesting. I wonder if that's an indication that Bana's Nero is also a really strong bad guy, or if the similarity is in the way the seven main characters are drawn.
Old September 16 2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Data Holmes
Admiral

Man, the studio people say this about every movie... It's almost a given that there will be a "like TWOK" slug line somewhere in the press.
Old September 16 2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Procutus
Admiral

^

Well, if they'd said it was like Nemesis I'd be worried.

Old September 16 2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

They said that Shinzon was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan, that Ru'Afo was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan, that First Contact was the best Trek movie since Wrath of Khan. They were only right about FC.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Old September 16 2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

It's a cliche...
Old September 16 2008, 04:59 AM   #7
WalkinMan
Commodore

hutt359 wrote: View Post
Man, the studio people say this about every movie... It's almost a given that there will be a "like TWOK" slug line somewhere in the press.
Sigh, apparently so. Actually the warning lights came on when I heard this comparison. And definitely because of how NEM was hyped as 'like TWoK' - and yes it did rip off some elements. But it was such a pale imitation...

Frankly they should get past the 'ol Berman-esque 'like TWoK' stuff. It's a cliche, indeed, and why does every next Trek film have to try (and fail) to be 'the next TWoK'?? Why not be the First of ...whatever new film it was.

In some ways, the whole 'make another "First Contact"' is an example...rather than trying to recreate the spirit of a film, create a whole new one that stands on its own merits, and becomes one that others try to copy again.
Old September 16 2008, 07:02 AM   #8
Admiral_Jinky
Ensign

Actually, I rather liked Ru'Afo. And I felt his reason for villainy was more legit than the other villains outside of Khan.
Star Treks wrote: View Post
...that Ru'Afo was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan...
Old September 16 2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Admiral_Jinky
Ensign

WalkinMan wrote: View Post
...why does every next Trek film have to try (and fail) to be 'the next TWoK'?? Why not be the First of ...whatever new film it was?
Amen to that!!
Old September 16 2008, 05:22 PM   #10
T'Cal
Commodore

I'm taking this more as a reference to the success TWoK was rather than the storyline. TWoK was a success artistically as well as with the critics and at the box office.
Old September 17 2008, 01:58 AM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

They've been saying this for how many movies? Certainly each of the four Next Generation films. Here, it's a bit more nuanced than the "our villain will be as good as Khan" argument, but not much more, really. I'm in eternal wait and see mode until the film comes out.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 17 2008, 03:49 AM   #12
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Did anyone actually read the interview? The article title is very misleading, imo. They never said "Our movie is like WoK!" or "Our movie is the best since WoK!" They said WoK left the biggest impression on them. To me, that is a big difference. Now, they said they were influenced by WoK (particularly a strong villain and the K/S relationship), but said that they were influenced by things from all the movies as well.
Old September 17 2008, 04:55 AM   #13
T'Cal
Commodore

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Did anyone actually read the interview? The article title is very misleading, imo. They never said "Our movie is like WoK!" or "Our movie is the best since WoK!" They said WoK left the biggest impression on them. To me, that is a big difference. Now, they said they were influenced by WoK (particularly a strong villain and the K/S relationship), but said that they were influenced by things from all the movies as well.
Well said.
Old September 25 2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Keldor
Ensign

'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

So was Nemesis and it was still awful.
Old September 25 2008, 03:55 PM   #15
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, considering that TWOK is essentially the only good Star Trek action movie (discounting TNG/FC) it's only natural that it is the only movie ever mentioned.

Keldor wrote: View Post
'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

So was Nemesis and it was still awful.
Wait, NEM was not like TWOK. It was like crap, which is why it was crap.