Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 13 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Humor on nuBSG

I was just going through parts of the series and came across a scene in "Downloaded" which is hilarious, I think. It's typical of nuBSG's sense of humor, I think, and one of the things I love about the show.

I'll go into detail about the moment in question (as well as another scene that just came to mind) in just a moment. First, let me just say that I'd like to use this thread to list any moments on nuBSG that you think are really humorous. They can be similar to these or completely different. Whatever brings a smile to your face while watching.

Anyway, on to some examples of my own...

The scene I was talking about above is the one near the end of "Downloaded" where Sharon, Six, D'Ana, and Anders are trapped and waiting to be rescued. Anders tries to shoot D'Ana but she manages to get out of the way, and Sharon disarms Anders.
D'Ana then picks up the gun, points it at Anders (obviously about to shoot him) and says: "God loves me". Next thing, you see Six coming up in behind with a big chunk of concrete and just slamming it on D'Ana's head.

I think it's absolutely hilarious the way that moment is played. Yes, it's very violent, but I simply love the irony and the contrast of D'Ana's lofty spiritual musings with the very mundane and literally hard nature of a piece of concrete.

There's another scene that's similar, in a sense, in "Rapture". I think it's also very funny because it has the same kind of contrast (Baltar is hoping to find out if he's a Cylon and thus one of God's chosen ones, apparently, only to get hit on the head by a gun whose physical nature is in no doubt at all).

I think you've just got to love a moment that goes:
Baltar: "God, tell me the truth before I die!"
Tyroll: "Welcome home, Mr. President." *whack*
Old September 13 2008, 01:00 AM   #2
species5618
Commodore

Re: Humor on nuBSG

I love nBSG, I think it's one of the best shows on television and perhaps the greatest science fiction television series ever produced. That said, I've never felt that humour was nBSG's strong suit.

I think the majority of the humour on BSG seems to revolve around Baltar and the various sticky situations he seems to land himself in--things like "no more Mr. Nice Gaius" were pretty funny, but overall the show's grim tone isn't really suited to humour. A show like Buffy for instance was far better equipped to bring the funny than nBSG is.

The way Buffy would shift gears from humour to tragedy to action is an approach that works well for that show, but would be an absolute disaster on nBSG.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the subject. Good thread topic, though!
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old September 13 2008, 04:09 AM   #3
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I thought head-Baltar was the funniest thing in "Downloaded," though "See you soon!" was pretty good, too. I mean, when he, Three and Six all sit down on the bench and match posture or, my personal favorite, when Six glances at him and admits she has some issues to Three, he nods emphatically with this wonderful expression of sardonic sympathy.
Old September 13 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

Head Baltar and Real Baltar's conversation with each other early on in season four was great. A shame they're not doing much more with that dynamic.
Old September 13 2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I've never felt that humour was nBSG's strong suit.
Ditto. And the subject matter shouldn't preclude effective dark humor. Just look at Dexter - a show with a serial killer as the main character, it's often hilarious.
Old September 13 2008, 10:05 AM   #6
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

species5618 wrote: View Post
The way Buffy would shift gears from humour to tragedy to action is an approach that works well for that show, but would be an absolute disaster on nBSG.
I totally agree with this sentiment. The one time where nuBSG DID try, well, almost a type of comedy episode - "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" - it arguably didn't work very well. Fortunately, they've never tried that again.

Having said that, I think there's lots of humor on nuBSG but it's not about switching from one to the other. It's about finding the humor in the characters and/or in the moment. The two scenes I quoted, I think, are good examples of this.

David cgc wrote: View Post
I thought head-Baltar was the funniest thing in "Downloaded," though "See you soon!" was pretty good, too. I mean, when he, Three and Six all sit down on the bench and match posture or, my personal favorite, when Six glances at him and admits she has some issues to Three, he nods emphatically with this wonderful expression of sardonic sympathy.
Head Baltar was terrific in "Downloaded", I agree. That scene, in particular, was excellent and very funny at the same time. One line I always remember is this one from Head Baltar (on the idea of boxing the entire line of D'Ana's model):
"One might almost call it inhuman...oh, that's right, you are" *smirks*

The line itself is funny but it's Callis's delivery that really does the trick.

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Head Baltar and Real Baltar's conversation with each other early on in season four was great. A shame they're not doing much more with that dynamic.
I agree. That conversation was terrific indeed. I am wondering, though, what the explanation for the Head Sixes and Baltars is going to be. They broke the simple (and quite beautiful IMHO) duality of Baltar's and Six's respective Head Person in this scene, and I wonder what that means. We'll just have to wait and see. But it's really funny alright .

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Ditto. And the subject matter shouldn't preclude effective dark humor. Just look at Dexter - a show with a serial killer as the main character, it's often hilarious.
Well, I honestly don't think it does (preclude effective dark humor). I haven't seen Dexter so I can't compare but I think there's many examples of really effective dark humor on nuBSG. Here's one (Downloaded, again):

Baltar: "What are you suggesting? That we throw it out an airlock?"
Roslin: "I don't make suggestions Mr Baltar. If I want to toss a baby out an airlock, I'd say so."
Old September 13 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
marplanauta
Commander

Cavil is often vey funny, like when he said:

"Take me to your leader"
Old September 13 2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

I had forgotten Cavil. Dean Stockwell brings a delicious layer of sarcasm to the role. A shame he hasn't been used more often (although, like Garak, he'd probably feel overused if he was used more often).
Old September 13 2008, 09:05 PM   #9
The Sneeze Police
Captain

I am in the minority in that I liked "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down".

Cavil is the most humorous character. Baltar aggravates me too much for me to find much humor in him.
Old September 13 2008, 11:42 PM   #10
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Cavil is terrific in that regard, that's true. Two other scenes that come to mind:

- One Cavil is proclaiming he's not a Cylon until he seems himself, becomes quiet and just goes: "Oh, well, okay then."
- Cavil and the other Cylons come aboard Galactica with Baltar and Cavil offers to "...throw in Baltar". When D'Ana calls him on it, he responds that he's improvising.
Old September 14 2008, 12:13 AM   #11
species5618
Commodore

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I had forgotten Cavil. Dean Stockwell brings a delicious layer of sarcasm to the role. A shame he hasn't been used more often (although, like Garak, he'd probably feel overused if he was used more often).
I'd forgotten about him as well. He is one of the more humourous characters, but in a dry subtle way, not in a conventionally 'funny' way. I loved his reaction in the scene at the end of season 2 (LDYB part 2 I think) where he's walked into Galactica's brig protesting he's not a Cylon, only to find another Cavil sitting in a cell.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old September 14 2008, 01:14 AM   #12
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

We'd be greated with flowers was great lol.
Old September 14 2008, 11:36 AM   #13
stonester1
Rear Admiral

The humor on BSG is often more subtle, that is, they don't telegraph the joke, and if you aren't watching carefully or don't know the show, you may miss it.

It's often dry, wry and played with the volume turned down. It's "naturalistic", if you will. Written situationally, coincidentally.

It is rather unique, and works for the show.
Old September 14 2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Subjective
Captain

My favourite comedy moment was the food shortage/paper shortage scene between Adama and Tigh. I was right there in stitches with both of them, just laughing my head off.
Old September 14 2008, 09:18 PM   #15
Agent Richard07
Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
The humor on BSG is often more subtle, that is, they don't telegraph the joke, and if you aren't watching carefully or don't know the show, you may miss it.

It's often dry, wry and played with the volume turned down. It's "naturalistic", if you will. Written situationally, coincidentally.

It is rather unique, and works for the show.
I think that says it right there. Plus, Baltar and his antics have been good for some comic relief.