Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 11 2008, 06:21 PM   #391
N-121973
Commander

Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

I'm kind of curious as to whether or not this will be a general or wide release (the article seems to emphasize IMAX cinemas) and what, if any impact this will have on the DVD release date. By the way I'm putting my money on 8th December for that.

Last edited by N-121973; September 11 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: error
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 06:23 PM   #392
Aragorn
Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
A comic book movie has a long, uphill battle being nominated for the Academy Awards. And, regardless, I don't think The Dark Knight should be nominated, perhaps outside of Ledger's performance. It was good, but it was not great. And I fully expect the sea of 'Oscar bait' movies to have more than a few more worthy entries.

Not that the Oscars have ever been about what is worthy. It's politics, and the politics of business. So this might work.
The Oscars also seem to like to give nominations to movies no one's ever heard of. Usually, box office success hurts movies because they want to go the look-at-how-knowledgeable-and-cultured-about-movies-I-am-with-my-selections route. Though Titanic was an obvious exception, and I'm still not sure why A Few Good Men and Ghost were nominated.

If they snub an artist for truly outstanding work, sometimes they award him or her the Oscar for lesser material.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2008, 12:49 AM   #393
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Well, it looks like Warner Bros. will be re-releasing the film in January so that it has a chance for Oscar consideration.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48744
Old September 12 2008, 04:59 AM   #394
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Hmm...I wonder how well it will do for a re-release. I know movies are re-released still do decent business, but considering the DVD is being released the previous month...would today's general movie goer or the home theatre enthusiast (which is becoming bigger and bigger) be as willing go see it on the Big Screen?
Old September 12 2008, 05:07 AM   #395
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Agreed. I think that the two weeks prior to the DVD release would have been a better choice.
Old September 12 2008, 07:08 AM   #396
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I think a big indicator will be if they can re-release it in IMAX, which is what they're currently trying to do. I am not sure if I would see the film again in a conventional theater, but I would absolutely love to see the film again in IMAX, since I even know friends who weren't able to see it would like to see it in that format.
Old September 12 2008, 04:59 PM   #397
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I'm not too sure if they'll be able to. Since IMAX is such a limited format I know that they have to schedule those films extremely well in advance (I'm talking about 9 - 12 months in advance).