Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 11 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Takei Nuptials Approach

George Takei will marry his long-term partner Brad Altman on September 13th in a "show business-type" marriage ceremony.

As reported by Southern Voice, Takei and Altman will marry in a ceremony tailor-made to their personal tastes with several Star Trek alumni taking part in the ceremony. "We wanted to craft a wedding that is tailor-made to say 'us,'" said Takei.

A Mexican-American minister will preside over the ceremony. A Scottish bag pipe will lead the party from the Democracy Forum to the Japanese-American National Museum for the reception. The Los Angeles Gay Men's Choir will perform, and a musician on the ancient Japanese instrument, the Koto, will play jazz. Walter Koenig(Chekov) will be the best man, while Nichelle Nichols will be "best lady." "She didn't like the word 'matron,' explained Takei, "so we changed it."

"[The wedding's] going to be a somewhat of a show bizzy, musical comedy oriented," said Takei. "As a matter of fact, our wedding march is going to be 'One Singular Sensation' from 'Chorus Line,' so it might be a little bit 'toutou,' but it's who we are; we love musicals."

Takei has been active in the fight for gay marriage. He told the story of a family member who wanted to, but could not marry a Caucasian until the late 1940s. "My aunt, back in the '40s, wanted to marry a Caucasian man, and that couldn't be done until the California Supreme Court declared it equal in 1948, and they're still happily married," said Takei. "At that time, the rallying cry was the purity of the race. Now it's defined as a man or a woman. We're finding out what American democracy really is about. You should marry who you love, not artificially designated by gender."

According to Takei, as reported by The Huffington Post, problems still exist with acceptance of gays, but Takei feels that those problems will be overcome in time. "Now I see legalistic barbed-wire fences incarcerating another group of Americans. It's going to take some time. I know many people are patient, and I sense the impatience...but it will happen, it will eventually happen."

What will the marriage certificate give Takei that almost two decades of partnership hasn't? "We've had twenty-one years together," said Takei, "but what that wedding ceremony will do is give us that dignity."

To read more, head to the article located here. Takei can be seen in a video interview located here.

Old September 11 2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Takei Nuptials Approach

"One Singular Sensation"? That seems very George Takei, honestly.

Nice to see that he, Koenig, and Nichols are still such good friends.
Old September 11 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Kpnuts
Commodore

Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.
Old September 11 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Oh, and the song is actually just called "One".

The first line is "One singular sensation, every step that she takes". Hell, even I didn't remember it correctly at first.
Old September 11 2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.
Sure it is. It's great news! (Maybe you should go easy on the raw lemons.)

Congrats, George! You deserve it!

And thanks for all the recent entertainment on "The Howard Stern Show." Your 'Gay Bachelor Party' was beyond hilarious.

Good luck, pal! (And remember, marriage can be a real pain in the ass.)
Old September 11 2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

...marriage can be a real pain in the ass...
Perhaps the biggest understatement in the entire history of understatements.

Best of luck, George!
Old September 12 2008, 02:11 AM   #7
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

He's getting married. When other Trek stars get married, I'm happy to report that too.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old September 12 2008, 03:20 AM   #8
Kpnuts
Commodore

I've just never seen a news story about another Trek star getting married that's all. Especially not multiple posts, leading up to their marriage. It's as if this one is being treated differently to the others and I think that's wrong personally.

Plus I think Takei is a media whore, but that's besides the point
Old September 12 2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Pioneer
Captain

Mazel Tov, George and Brad, מזל טוב!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old September 12 2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Swarles Barkley wrote: View Post

Oh! Ouch. We need a rimshot smiley.
Old September 12 2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Swarles Barkley wrote: View Post

Oh! Ouch. We need a rimshot smiley.
Yeah, I thought about that when I wrote it. (Of course.)

If I remember correctly, George explained on the Howard Stern Show (in great detail) about what he does and does not do. And he does not do that.
Old September 12 2008, 03:15 PM   #12
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

TrekToday wrote: View Post
<font color=yellow>George Takei</font> will marry his long-term partner <font color=yellow>Brad Altman</font> on September 13th in a "show business-type" marriage ceremony.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com">Southern Voice</A>, Takei and Altman will marry in a ceremony tailor-made to their personal tastes with several <i>Star Trek</i> alumni taking part in the ceremony. "We wanted to craft a wedding that is tailor-made to say 'us,'" said Takei. <p>A Mexican-American minister will preside over the ceremony. A Scottish bag pipe will lead the party from the Democracy Forum to the Japanese-American National Museum for the reception. The Los Angeles Gay Men's Choir will perform, and a musician on the ancient Japanese instrument, the Koto, will play jazz. <font color=yellow>Walter Koenig</font>(Chekov) will be the best man, while <font color=yellow>Nichelle Nichols</font> will be "best lady." "She didn't like the word 'matron,' explained Takei, "so we changed it."<p>"[The wedding's] going to be a somewhat of a show bizzy, musical comedy oriented," said Takei. "As a matter of fact, our wedding march is going to be 'One Singular Sensation' from 'Chorus Line,' so it might be a little bit 'toutou,' but it's who we are; we love musicals."<p>Takei has been active in the fight for gay marriage. He told the story of a family member who wanted to, but could not marry a Caucasian until the late 1940s. "My aunt, back in the '40s, wanted to marry a Caucasian man, and that couldn't be done until the California Supreme Court declared it equal in 1948, and they're still happily married," said Takei. "At that time, the rallying cry was the purity of the race. Now it's defined as a man or a woman. We're finding out what American democracy really is about. You should marry who you love, not artificially designated by gender."<p>According to Takei, as reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/">The Huffington Post</A>, problems still exist with acceptance of gays, but Takei feels that those problems will be overcome in time. "Now I see legalistic barbed-wire fences incarcerating another group of Americans. It's going to take some time. I know many people are patient, and I sense the impatience...but it will happen, it will eventually happen."<p>What will the marriage certificate give Takei that almost two decades of partnership hasn't? "We've had twenty-one years together," said Takei, "but what that wedding ceremony will do is give us that dignity." <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com/2008/8-29/arts/feature/9086.cfm">here</A>. Takei can be seen in a video interview located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/to-boldly-go-where-no-cal_b_124701.html">here</A>.<center></center>

Sounds terrific! All of my best to the happy couple.

J.
Old September 12 2008, 03:22 PM   #13
thumbtack
Commodore

Especially not multiple posts
I seem to recall an endless stream of posts on John Cho's new baby. And I, for one, do not need to have the reproductive lifestyle shoved down my throat while I'm busily debating whether a hobbit could beat up a ferengi.
Old September 12 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Mutai Sho-Rin

No.

Nothing like the smell of fresh bigotry in the morning.
Old September 12 2008, 06:33 PM   #15
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post

No.

Nothing like the smell of fresh bigotry in the morning.
I don't think he's a bigot. He's just a killjoy. And he can't stand when others 'get too much attention' or are 'having too much fun.'

Interestingly enough, he feels the need to draw attention to himself by complaining that others are getting too much attention. I'll leave that one to the psychologists.