Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 7 2008, 11:48 PM   #76
wizkid
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Data - B4 Question

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
Well, all I can say is, leaving B-4 as a veggie is about the most boring route to take
How many plot threads do you want the post-NEM to balance at once? Seems to me the character is waiting in the wings, and will emerge when an author decides they want to tackle B-4's story.
Yes, after 50 more Borg stories... In the meantime, the Kingons, Romulans, and Vulcans ask what a Borg is.
wizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 12:53 AM   #77
EJD1984
Commander

RobertVA wrote: View Post
EJD1984 wrote: View Post
There are a couple of other options that poped into my lil' old head.

1. After Data turned off Lore. Was it ever mentioned whatever happed to Lore's parts? I doubt Data left him behind (fear of possibility reassembly). Lore was most likely put in a storage container somewhere. The Daystrom Inst. could eventually come into possession of Lore, and try a drastic experiment - Wipe Lore's processor clean, and try to download Data from B4. It'd be an interesting concept to explore - Data exploring remorse that Lore was totally sacrificed to being Data back, along with ghost flashes of Lore within Data's matrix. (Just a thought)...
But deactivating Lore is the equivalent to putting a biological being in long term stasis. There's still some slim prospect someone in the future might find a way to safely rehabilitate him. We're not even sure member planets allow capital punishment. Unless you found some way to back Lore up in some other device, overwriting Lore's personality with some combination of his "brothers" and "niece" would amout to execution. Even backing his personality up and replacing his personality could be considered slavery.
I wasn't suggesting that the procedure would be fully sanctioned/legal by Starfleet. (added drama/conflict).

Last edited by EJD1984; September 8 2008 at 02:19 PM.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 02:27 PM   #78
leandar
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to leandar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to leandar Send a message via Yahoo to leandar

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
^ Sure, that's possible...but that's not "bringing Data back," which is where this thread started.
Which, for some reason, I still expect to happen, eventually. Don't know why, it's just a gut feeling, I guess.

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average...
leandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 02:32 PM   #79
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'll reiterate what was stated in another thread: The only thing anyone can accomplish by suggesting a story idea on the BBS is ensuring that it will never be done. Talking about whether Data should be brought back is one thing, but talking about how to bring him back is crossing the line into story ideas and should be avoided.
If this is the case, let me put this out there so it never happens.

Data never died. At the last possible moment, he was plucked out of the timestream by one of the factions of the temporal cold war, who had a need for his vast knowledge and his problem-solving ability. After determining that he was being used for a less than noble purpose, he manages to escape by using the time travel device, and he returns to his shipmates in the 24th century.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 06:23 PM   #80
EJD1984
Commander

leandar wrote: View Post
^ Sure, that's possible...but that's not "bringing Data back," which is where this thread started.
Which, for some reason, I still expect to happen, eventually. Don't know why, it's just a gut feeling, I guess.
For all of the other Trek characters that have come back to life in the novels - I just can't believe that one of Star Trek's most popular characters (next to Spock - IMOP), hasn't been resurrected yet.

Unless it's in the works on someone's laptop I type.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 06:40 PM   #81
Christopher
Writer

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
For all of the other Trek characters that have come back to life in the novels - I just can't believe that one of Star Trek's most popular characters (next to Spock - IMOP), hasn't been resurrected yet.
"All the other characters?" Of the characters who died onscreen and weren't resurrected onscreen, the only ones I'm aware of who've been brought back in the novels are Kirk and Trip -- and Trip didn't provably, conclusively die onscreen at all. Tasha is still dead in the books, Jadzia is still dead in the books, as are Admiral Forrest, Matt Decker, Khan, Terrell, David Marcus, Gowron, Dukat, Winn, Joe Carey, and countless others.

So there is no standard practice of resurrecting the dead in the books. Indeed, the books have killed off more canon characters than they've brought back.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2008, 07:33 PM   #82
kc5hwb
Lieutenant

I for one hope they bring Data back.. but with everyone talking about it like this, I think they will draw it out as far as they can.
kc5hwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 12:21 AM   #83
spock1974
Cadet

If B-4's slowness is due to less advanced hardware compared to data then surely it would be possible for Maddox to give him some kind of hardware upgrade? After all Maddox (and presumably his colleagues) have been studying Data for years, as well as Lore and Lal. I find it hard to believe that after all those years of study that they would not be able to make some kind of modifcations to B-4 to speed him up to Data's level! If not then maybe its time for Maddox to get the sack and let someone else have a try!
spock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 01:15 AM   #84
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

saul wrote: View Post
Poor Data (B-4). Trip, Spock, Kirk (and maybe in future Janeway?) all come back from the dead but Mr. Data isn't allowed to.
Yeah, it stinks. What I love about the novels is that they can tell any story from any time period, so I'm hoping the TNG line will soon return to the seven year period of the series, so Data is alive, and part of the books.

At least occasionally. The TNG novels should do both eras, their series, and their movies, like TOS does.

And what REALLY chaps my hide is they resurrect that idiot Trip but leave Data dead..........
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 02:57 AM   #85
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

If you want to read recent TNG stories with Data, check out the anthology The Sky's the Limit (which covers the adventures of the TNG crew across the seven seasons of the show and through all the movies and has plenty of Data) and the eBook miniseries Slings and Arrows, which are six stories that take place in the year between the launch of the Enterprise-E and First Contact.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 03:39 AM   #86
RandyS
Vice Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post
If you want to read recent TNG stories with Data, check out the anthology The Sky's the Limit (which covers the adventures of the TNG crew across the seven seasons of the show and through all the movies and has plenty of Data) and the eBook miniseries Slings and Arrows, which are six stories that take place in the year between the launch of the Enterprise-E and First Contact.
I read The Sky's the Limit last Christmas. Great book.

Wasn't Slings and Arrows the eBook series that follows the TOS guys? Isn't that the one that was released during the 40th anniversary?
Old September 16 2008, 03:41 AM   #87
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

^ The TOS e-Book mini-series is Mere Anarchy (due out in trade paperback, March 2009!)

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 03:45 AM   #88
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post
Wasn't Slings and Arrows the eBook series that follows the TOS guys? Isn't that the one that was released during the 40th anniversary?
Nope, as Dayton said, you're thinking of Mere Anarchy. Slings and Arrows is a TNG six-eBook miniseries that was released for that show's 20th anniversary in 2007 and covered, as I said, the year leading up to First Contact. A print compilation has yet to be scheduled, so right now the only way to read it is in electronic form.

The six stories are by J. Steven York & Christina F. York, Phaedra M. Weldon, William Leisner, Terri Osborne, Robert Greenberger, and some hack with four initials....

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 01:24 PM   #89
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post
Also The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett.

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 05:07 PM   #90
RandyS
Vice Admiral

^ The TOS e-Book mini-series is Mere Anarchy (due out in trade paperback, March 2009!)
Ah yes. I remember now.

Thanks.