New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 5 2008, 12:36 AM   #61
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Re: Data - B4 Question

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2008, 12:39 AM   #62
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post

Of course, it's always possible that They Saved Lore's Brain!

Brain and brain! What is brain?!

(sorry)

Old September 5 2008, 12:40 AM   #63
Christopher
Writer

I'll reiterate what was stated in another thread: The only thing anyone can accomplish by suggesting a story idea on the BBS is ensuring that it will never be done. Talking about whether Data should be brought back is one thing, but talking about how to bring him back is crossing the line into story ideas and should be avoided.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2008, 12:44 AM   #64
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

What story idea?

Old September 5 2008, 01:13 AM   #65
JD
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
In fact, wasn't Harry Kim's Species 8472 infection deliberately done to put the actor, Garrett Wang, back in line. If he didn't improve his antics after the return from hiatus, Kim could be "offed" by the virus.
Huh, I'd never heard that before, what was he doing? The only behind the scenes stuff I'd heard about him was a interview a year or so ago, where he was ranting about how pissed he was that even though he was the biggest sci-fi fan in the cast he never got to direct.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2008, 01:23 AM   #66
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

From what I understand, Wang didn't want to put in the extra effort that other actors did. Berman made all of the other actors who directed go through the extra effort of training and learning the process of directing. Wang (again, from what I understand), just wanted to walk on the set and say, "action!"
Old September 5 2008, 11:39 AM   #67
Saul
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
saul wrote: View Post
However, besides Spock and Kirk those other characters you mentioned weren't really "killed off" were they? They were back to life in the same episode. We knew they'd be back before the end of the episode.
I dunno. After the death of Yar, was any regular really "safe"? In fact, wasn't Harry Kim's Species 8472 infection deliberately done to put the actor, Garrett Wang, back in line. If he didn't improve his antics after the return from hiatus, Kim could be "offed" by the virus.

They had also discussed killing off the original Will Riker and replacing him with transporter twin "Tom" at the end of "Second Chances".
What antics was that? I thought the story was that 7 of 9 was coming along and they had to make room for her. Kim was going to be killed off except in some magazine poll he was voted above Kes in popularity so they knocked her off instead.
Old September 5 2008, 11:58 AM   #68
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

saul wrote: View Post
What antics was that? I thought the story was that 7 of 9 was coming along and they had to make room for her. Kim was going to be killed off except in some magazine poll he was voted above Kes in popularity so they knocked her off instead.
Yes, but before that poll came out, he was supposedly reprimanded often for a casual attitude - turning up to hair/makeup/costume late, causing everyone else to have to make up for lost time so he wasn't late reporting to the set. Writing in a potentially fatal disease for Harry was to put the actor in his place. Make him stew all through the hiatus. Shape up or ship out.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2008, 12:11 PM   #69
Saul
Rear Admiral

I didn't know that. I wonder if they were trying to warn him when they killed off the original Harry Kim.
Old September 7 2008, 01:23 AM   #70
wizkid
Lieutenant Commander

I like to think Data made daily backups (clone backups) of himself in his room at night. Just like my Mac does with SuperDuper!. Kill off Shatner, the rest of the humans, and bring that Data man back. He is the only one that can be argued as a reasonable character to come back.

I hope Janeway stays dead but from what I have read in GTTS, it seems the scene is being set for humans to be de-borgified.
wizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2008, 05:12 AM   #71
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, all I can say is, leaving B-4 as a veggie is about the most boring route to take, essentially the same as dropping the character and forgetting about him. He should definitely grow and become a functional person, otherwise he's not really interesting, just a much more annoying version of C3PO.

All this talk about his possible brain power is all hypothetical. He clearly advanced at least somewhat in NEM to the point where he is essentially talking like Data - except retarded, rather than talking like a baby in confusing sentence fragments. So I'd say the ability to grow is certainly there, and can be supported by whatever technobabble you want to come up with to justify it.
Old September 7 2008, 10:39 AM   #72
RobertVA
Fleet Captain

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
There are a couple of other options that poped into my lil' old head.

1. After Data turned off Lore. Was it ever mentioned whatever happed to Lore's parts? I doubt Data left him behind (fear of possibility reassembly). Lore was most likely put in a storage container somewhere. The Daystrom Inst. could eventually come into possession of Lore, and try a drastic experiment - Wipe Lore's processor clean, and try to download Data from B4. It'd be an interesting concept to explore - Data exploring remorse that Lore was totally sacrificed to being Data back, along with ghost flashes of Lore within Data's matrix. (Just a thought)...
But deactivating Lore is the equivalent to putting a biological being in long term stasis. There's still some slim prospect someone in the future might find a way to safely rehabilitate him. We're not even sure member planets allow capital punishment. Unless you found some way to back Lore up in some other device, overwriting Lore's personality with some combination of his "brothers" and "niece" would amout to execution. Even backing his personality up and replacing his personality could be considered slavery.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2008, 02:26 PM   #73
Timo
Admiral

...However, Bashir is ready to perform such an operation on a sentient creature at the drop of a hat, and Pulaski is ready to create lacunae without substituting alternative content.

Clearly, the UFP is relatively flexible about such issues, and not automatically and categorically opposed to capital punishment or slavery.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2008, 09:47 PM   #74
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ According to Immortal Coil, Lore and the other Data-prototypes and so forth were all destroyed with the Enterprise-D, if I remember right.
Old September 7 2008, 10:28 PM   #75
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ancient wrote: View Post
Well, all I can say is, leaving B-4 as a veggie is about the most boring route to take
How many plot threads do you want the post-NEM to balance at once? Seems to me the character is waiting in the wings, and will emerge when an author decides they want to tackle B-4's story.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote