Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 6 2008, 04:33 AM   #16
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Recommendations?

Thanks to all of you who have provided suggestions for future readings. After reading about them on Memories Alpha and Beta, the books that sound interesting and readable have been added to my Amazon wish list. Now, I have the dreaded task of making up my mind as to where to start. Also, to find out which ones are available at the local used books store. (Great Star Trek section, BTW. )

One question, though:
Claudia wrote: View Post
TNG:

From early TNG, I'd recommend Jean Lorrah's "Survivors" focusing on Tasha and Data, and its sequel "Metamorphosis".
From what I have read about these two novels on Memories Alpha and Beta, they seem to me to be quite independent from each other, except for their author. Is this analysis correct, or is their something I'm missing?
Old September 6 2008, 04:41 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

tmclough wrote: View Post
From early TNG, I'd recommend Jean Lorrah's "Survivors" focusing on Tasha and Data, and its sequel "Metamorphosis".
From what I have read about these two novels on Memories Alpha and Beta, they seem to me to be quite independent from each other, except for their author. Is this analysis correct, or is their something I'm missing?
The basic plots are distinct, but Metamorphosis brings back several guest characters from Survivors and continues some of its character arcs, so there's a definite continuity. Survivors is mainly about Tasha Yar, but it has a major Data subplot, and Data's arc from there continues in Metamorphosis.

A caution, though: Keep in mind that these books were written in seasons 1-2, and it wasn't until the start of the third season that Data was codified as being emotionless. Originally, the idea was that his emotional awareness was underdeveloped, but present on a subdued level. And this is the premise explored and developed by Lorrah's novels. So the Data who appears in those books may not seem like quite the same character we know Data as today, but it was entirely consistent with what had been established about the character when the books were written. (Also, Tasha Yar's backstory in Survivors differs in some details from what was established in "Legacy.")

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2008, 07:00 AM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
So the Data who appears in those books may not seem like quite the same character we know Data as today, but it was entirely consistent with what had been established about the character when the books were written.
"Metamorphosis" was/is one of my favourite early TNG novels, but I recommended it to a few ST friends who bought it, read it - and detested it. It does have a strong soap opera element, perhaps? tmclough did say: "I prefer novels that deal with technology over relations...", so I didn't list it earlier.

Certainly, author Jean Lorrah was put through the wringer getting the final draft passing muster. Her Andorian character had to be rewritten (as a "related" Theskian) at the insistence of the then-ST Office, she had to switch Crusher for Pulaski (IIRC) and she didn't get her wish for the cover art (Data staring into a mirror and seeing Brent Spiner).
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Thank you all for your comments about ATT, Titan and Wesley. I've always been fond of Wesley and I always wanted to know what happened to him after he left with the Traveller.

Of course, I picked up the first ATT-novel back when it was released, but it just didn't work for me, and I put it down at about the halfway mark. That's also why I never read any of the other ATT-books, even though some of them come highly praised. But then, I'm not a huge fan of Titan, either (so far couldn't finish book 4), and I doubt that even the inclusion of Wesley would change that.

But then again, I think my tastes in ST-books just changed - or rather didn't develop in the same direction as the editors'. Right now, I'm trying to obtain copies of the older numbered TOS-books. I've found that I enjoy the episode-like and more or less independent adventures more than the story arcs of nowadays. On the other hand, I think I've read all the Spock books out there already... *sighs*

Also, I'd love to have seen the cover art for Metamorphosis that you described, Therin...
Old September 6 2008, 10:04 AM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'd love to have seen the cover art for Metamorphosis that you described, Therin...
Yeah, Jean Lorrah described her dream cover for "Metamorphosis" in the old newszines of the day - but Brent Spiner had already made a promise to himself that, to preserve some mystery about Data, he wouldn't permit photos of himself out of makeup to accompany ST interviews or publicity. (However, "Starlog" had already printed a pic when casting had been announced and, of course, the fans at large had started to research his body of work and other pics did emerge.)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2008, 03:05 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

And of course Spiner had appeared on television or home video in other roles before Data, notably Fritz in the original cast recording of Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George and the recurring character Bob Wheeler on Night Court. (Wheeler and his family were set up in a semi-regular supporting capacity at the end of Night Court's 1986-7 season, as the new operators of the concession stand in the courthouse cafeteria, but had disappeared without explanation in the '87 season premiere, since Spiner had gotten another job in the interim...)

Old September 6 2008, 05:19 PM   #22
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Of course, I picked up the first ATT-novel back when it was released, but it just didn't work for me, and I put it down at about the halfway mark. That's also why I never read any of the other ATT-books, even though some of them come highly praised.
Not to be self-serving or anything, but you should try picking up the series again. Since you didn't like John's work on the first two, jump ahead to A Time to Sow by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore. Not all writers are created equal, after all, and the assorted duologies are standalone enough that you should be fine picking up what's going on.

Oh, and your two favorte shows are Babylon 5 and the original Star Trek. (Hey, Spock said "Indeed" almost as much as Teal'c! )

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2008, 06:26 PM   #23
Claudia
Fleet Captain

KRAD wrote: View Post
Oh, and your two favorte shows are Babylon 5 and the original Star Trek. (Hey, Spock said "Indeed" almost as much as Teal'c! )
- as I watched most of TOS in German, I wouldn't know. His usual phrase there was "Faszinierend!" (fascinating) with that raised eyebrow. But you're right, I should add that to my signature. Strange, a few years ago I never would have thought that TOS would one day be my favourite ST-show, and the one show I'd compare other SF-shows to.

Perhaps I'll give ATT another chance - after all, back then I already bought the second duology in anticipation, it's just a question of finding the books amidst the chaos that is my bookshelf...
Old September 6 2008, 09:36 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Spock's main catchphrase was "Fascinating" in English too, but he did say "Indeed" from time to time. Nowhere near as much as Teal'c, though.

Old September 6 2008, 09:53 PM   #25
captcalhoun
Admiral

Indeed.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 01:34 AM   #26
MajRichter
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let me throw my 2-cents worth in here as far as book recommendations. I apologize if some (or all) of my picks replicate those of others:

1.) Q-Squared by Peter David
2.) Dark Mirror by Diane Duane
3.) The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah
4.) Black Fire by Jean Lorrah
5.)Anything in the SCE series
6.) The Q-Continuum trilogy (Q-Space, Q-Zone, Q-Strike) by Greg Cox
7.) Vendetta by Peter David
8.) Ship Of The Line by Diane Carey

Hope that helps!
MajRichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2008, 11:15 PM   #27
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Black Fire was written by Sonni Cooper.

Most people would NOT recommend Ship of the Line. In fact I believe it's on my people's worst ST books list.
Old September 18 2008, 09:50 PM   #28
BryanSorensen
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to BryanSorensen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BryanSorensen Send a message via Yahoo to BryanSorensen

personal favorites of mine are the A Time to series, Echoes and Refractions, and Kobayashi Maru
BryanSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote