Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 3 2008, 02:03 PM   #676
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Tomalak wrote: View Post
HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who laughed himself blue in the face when he read the £135m Ronaldo bid? And then, just as the tears were finally drying, I read on and this crazy Arab is saying he's going to buy Fabregas AND Torres AND Berbatov AND Messi AND Kaka AND...

If stories like this are going to become common then Man City have made the media side of football a better place
They offered Madrid a blank cheque for Van Nistelrooy of all people!
Didn't they also mention something about trying to get the other Ronaldo as he's been released by Milan? Or did I dream that one up?
Old September 3 2008, 02:08 PM   #677
Jax
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Personally, if that's what they're after I don't understand why they don't go the whole way and just form a European super league.
Because it would fail, can you imagine how much away tickets would cost having every 2nd ga,e i na different country, especially how much it would cost clubs to be jetting all the way around Europe for 8 months for away games.

I think they should maybe rename the whole CL (the European Cup for the trophy is ok but Champinos League is a little stupid considering majorty of the clubs in it are NOT champions of there own league.
Old September 3 2008, 02:11 PM   #678
Hermiod
Admiral

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of West Ham.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 02:14 PM   #679
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Count down the hours until Slaven Bilic is unveiled.....
Old September 3 2008, 02:18 PM   #680
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Because it would fail, can you imagine how much away tickets would cost having every 2nd ga,e i na different country, especially how much it would cost clubs to be jetting all the way around Europe for 8 months for away games.

I think they should maybe rename the whole CL (the European Cup for the trophy is ok but Champinos League is a little stupid considering majorty of the clubs in it are NOT champions of there own league.
I think it would be more a case of there not really being away fans, unless they were fairly local games. The costs to the club would most likely be offset by TV revenue streams that a superleague would undoubtedly yield. Not to mention the extortionate amount that they would undoubtedly make in marketing and advertising.

Re: the name of the CL, they should just stick with the European Cup.
Old September 3 2008, 02:25 PM   #681
Hermiod
Admiral

If Croatia beat England again they've got to offer him a new contract.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 02:48 PM   #682
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

If Croatia beat England again they've got to offer him a new contract.
Almost 100% accurate. Just need to replace the word 'if' with 'when'.
Old September 3 2008, 05:03 PM   #683
Gagh
Commodore

We should just play matches against American Samoa, Faroe Islands, San Marino & Burkino Faso.
Gagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 05:06 PM   #684
Gagh
Commodore

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who laughed himself blue in the face when he read the £135m Ronaldo bid? And then, just as the tears were finally drying, I read on and this crazy Arab is saying he's going to buy Fabregas AND Torres AND Berbatov AND Messi AND Kaka AND...
I'll be looking at the backs of those players for glue. It seems these guys think Man City is a big Panini sticker album!
Old September 3 2008, 06:55 PM   #685
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Apparently, Dr. Al-Fahim has a form of Tourette's Syndrome where he randomly shouts out famous players names and amounts of money.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 07:23 PM   #686
Gagh
Commodore

Perhaps when he's ill he shouts out stuff like Alan Smith, Danny Mills, Seth Johnson & Francis Jeffers instead?
Old September 3 2008, 09:43 PM   #687
StolenThunder
Poster

It's unfortunate. Curbishley deserves better treatment than he's received of late.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 11:55 PM   #688
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I think the whole point around the fourth spot is more along the lines of why should anyone but the Champions qualify anyway.

Gone are the days of the little teams having a decent run and winning the odd final. Nowadays it's rare that many of them make it through beyond the group stage. In fact, even looking at the group stages there are rarely many of them.
I don't buy that at all. Prior to the Champions League, it was dominated by Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Milan, Ajax, Liverpool and whoever else won one of the big leagues.

Perhaps more smaller teams took part in the later stages, but they stood no chance of winning the title, as they had to get through so many European heavyweights to get to the final.

If you look at the Champions League, the winners are the same old suspects. However, since there are more top teams in it, it's no longer a case of will the Italian, Spanish or English team win, but which of 16 teams in the knockout round will manage it. Porto weren't at all fancied, and Liverpool wouldn't have even been there under the old rules to get to two finals in three years. Arsenal too in 2006.

There may be more big clubs involved in the later stages than in the old European Cup, but the result is a more competitive tournament.
Old September 4 2008, 12:02 AM   #689
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
It's unfortunate. Curbishley deserves better treatment than he's received of late.
He did well to keep them up. I say well, but all he had to do was play Tevez, a tactic which obviously was beyond Alan Pardew.

He squandered a lot of money in transfer fees and wages on injury prone players in 2007, and has had to pay for it this summer.

However, he has been treated very poorly by his board, and has shown great integrity to walk away rather than wait to be sacked. He's a decent manager - Charlton's rapid fall following his departure is proof enough - and he'd be an asset to a team looking to consolidate themselves in the premiership. I don't think he's creative enough to prosper at a top club, or at least one with ambitions of Europe in the case of West Ham.
Old September 4 2008, 11:51 AM   #690
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
[Perhaps more smaller teams took part in the later stages, but they stood no chance of winning the title, as they had to get through so many European heavyweights to get to the final.
Certainly take your general point, but Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade were and are far from European heavyweights themselves but still managed to win the competition. Now though to do so they'd have to navigate through even more heavyweights from England, Spain, Italy et al.

it's no longer a case of will the Italian, Spanish or English team win
It is however usually a case of WHICH Italian, Spanish or English team will win. In the last seven seasons, they've won six between them.

I'd agree that it has made things more competitive on a certain level, but ultimately, with the lucrative nature of the CL, it just means that the same teams keep getting to the latter stages, picking up more and more money which just widens the gap yet further between them and the smaller teams. It almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.