MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old September 3 2008, 06:50 PM   #16
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Re: Google ownz your browsing

Garrovick wrote: View Post
And just a little off topic, what's the E.U.'s effort in OSs and browsers and media players?
Didn't the BBC bring out some kind of media player not long ago? or am I thinking of something else.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 07:10 PM   #17
Vic Sixx
Commodore

Chrome is really fast, faster than any I've tried. I've had some minor trouble with Firefox, and I've been able to use IE without the thing crashing. Chrome is nice but I hate that you can't mouse scroll down a page. But I'll keep trying it. When trekbbs is running slow, a little box comes up asking me if I'd like kill the page. I enjoy that for some reason.
Old September 3 2008, 07:13 PM   #18
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Chrome will be better than FireFox, but browsers like IE8 are still the future.
Why? What's so special about IE8? (I haven't used it yet.)
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 07:17 PM   #19
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Higher version number.

Firefox will have to jump straight to nine in order to stay ahead of the game.
Old September 3 2008, 07:29 PM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Lindley wrote: View Post
Chrome will be better than FireFox, but browsers like IE8 are still the future.
Why? What's so special about IE8? (I haven't used it yet.)
It apparently has most of the features of Chrome, plus it's IE, so has the built in user base.
I have the beta installed, but I don't really use it, so I can't say I've noticed much difference to IE7.
Old September 3 2008, 07:34 PM   #21
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
I really hate Google these days.
I hate it when search engines or browsers try to hijack your system. If I want to use them I'll go find them thankyou.

I tend to type Google into MSN search half the time but there you go!
Old September 3 2008, 07:56 PM   #22
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

Hadn't heard of this, sounds interesting. I like the idea of trying to improve all web browsers through making their own.

Although some of their 'new' features are already available in IE8 Beta 2. IE8 finally has crash recovery and limits most crashes to the individual tab. All tabs are also opened in separate processes. Its URL bar works in a similar way to Chrome, it'll search through your history and favourites and so if you type in 'Car' it'll come up with all the relevant pages. Also IE8 now displays recently closed tabs when you open a new one, again similar to Chrome (although it doesn't show the most visited web pages), and it has it's own privacy option called inprivate browsing that works the same way as Chrome.

I don't use Firefox 3 very much but I suspect that many of these features I've listed are there as well. This isn't a criticism of Chrome though (I haven't even used the browser yet), I just wanted to point out that Google hasn't done all these first (regardless if they do them better).

Charlie
Old September 3 2008, 07:59 PM   #23
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
And just a little off topic, what's the E.U.'s effort in OSs and browsers and media players?
Didn't the BBC bring out some kind of media player not long ago? or am I thinking of something else.
I think you're thinking of the BBC iPlayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_iPlayer

Charlie
Old September 3 2008, 08:11 PM   #24
Brian
Vice Admiral

Has anyone tried Safari? It installed with my last QT update, but I haven't really used it, beyond finding that the bookmark interface for imported IE favorites is too cumbersome.
Old September 3 2008, 08:12 PM   #25
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Have you guys seen some of the Google offices?

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:15 PM   #26
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Charlie Kelly wrote: View Post
Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
I think you're thinking of the BBC iPlayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_iPlayer

Charlie
Which isn't really the BBC's media player - Sky, BBC and (I think C4) all use the same underlying application for the media players - developed by a company called Kontiki.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 08:15 PM   #27
davortech
Ensign

I use Safari on my Mac and I just love it. It's a great fast browser and it has all web standards supported. I'm looking forward to trying out Google's Chrome as it is not yet available in version for OS X. Btw, I'm new on here, nice to meet you everyone
Old September 3 2008, 09:32 PM   #28
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

How can Google "take over" anything when their browser is open source? At worst, everyone ignores it. At best, competing browsers integrate Chrome's good ideas.

Since keeping each tab in a separate process is kind of a no-brainer, I am more interested in their approach to JavaScript. The hidden class concept and sticking JS within a VM are both interesting ideas. I know that the thing that most often causes me trouble is misbehaving JavaScript. Always lagging my pages, stealing precious clock cycles.

I will probably wait until Chrome is more mature before I consider jumping aboard, but the ideas put forth are pretty interesting.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 11:39 PM   #29
Alaedhros
Fleet Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
How can Google "take over" anything when their browser is open source? At worst, everyone ignores it. At best, competing browsers integrate Chrome's good ideas.
The same way that Firefox gained a respectable usage share of the browser market, or LAMP took over the server market--by being better than the competition.

Also, Google wants competing browsers to integrate their ideas. They'd be pleased as punch if IE has a Javascript engine as fast as Chrome's and a way to launch web apps like local apps.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Since keeping each tab in a separate process is kind of a no-brainer, I am more interested in their approach to JavaScript. The hidden class concept and sticking JS within a VM are both interesting ideas. I know that the thing that most often causes me trouble is misbehaving JavaScript. Always lagging my pages, stealing precious clock cycles.

I will probably wait until Chrome is more mature before I consider jumping aboard, but the ideas put forth are pretty interesting.
I agree, the ideas are quite intriguing, and it seems to me like they would go a long way toward making a browser that would perform well on the web today. Should be interesting to see how Firefox responds.

Last edited by Alaedhros; September 4 2008 at 12:48 AM.
Alaedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2008, 11:44 PM   #30
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I was worried about this too. Locutus of Bored though posted the link below in Misc.

Google is claiming that the EULA was copy and pasted from another EULA and that Section 11 is currently being amended.

http://gizmodo.com/5045050/google-up...be-less-creepy

Not saying I believe it. Just an FYI.