Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 2 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Has Plenty Of Gadgets

While plot details from Star Trek XI are zealously guarded, J.J. Abrams and company will freely discuss the Star Trek XI technology.

As reported by MTV, Abrams and company are still keeping mum about plot or character details. When asked about moments with the mothers of Kirk and Spock, Abrams said, "The what? What flashbacks? I never said flashbacks. Writer/Producer Alex Kurtzman echoed Abrams comments. "We didn't say there were flashbacks."

They were willing to discuss gadgets though. "We intentionally don't talk too much about the story," said Producer Bryan Burk, "but there's all the gadgets you could want. No replicators," (replicators originated in Star Trek: The Next Generation), "but there’s warp speed and transporter beams and tricorders and communicators and everything you could want. All the gadgets."

While the futuristic technology is interesting to fans, to the characters in the show, it's just something ordinary and usual. "It's one thing in 'Star Trek' to get all excited and freak out about communicators, but to them, it's like it's the new iPhone," said Abrams. "These are just the tool they're using."

The film is made for the fans who are interested in futuristic technology however, so proper attention is paid to creating the gadgets and getting it right. "We have family members who would disown us if we got any of those wrong," said Writer/Producer Roberto Orci. According to Abrams, "The writer’s team had 'endless discussions' about how to portray the gadgets, as well as all the other details of 'style' and 'aesthetics.' If you do the bridge of the Enterprise, what does it look like? Does Uhura has the piece in her, or does she not? And if she does, what does it look like? If they have tricorders, what do they look like? Phasers, how do you go from stun to kill, and does anything happen? What does the whole fleet look like? I’m telling you, every day, we were figuring this out, how do we take what we know and love and 'Star Trek' and apply it to a modern audience."

Some of the technology will be hidden as "Easter eggs." "There will be appearances of things," said Burk.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old September 3 2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Procutus
Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Has Plenty Of Gadgets

It's great that Team Abrams is willing to discuss said gadgets, but let's see some pix!

Old September 3 2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Admiral Bear
Captain

There aren't a huge amount of food scenes in TOS, but I always thought the Enterprise had replicators. They just wern't called that, or referred to in the scripts. You used to see crew members in the canteen area pull a tacky coloured slide across a space in the wall, and hey presto there was food.

We all know Archer's Enterprise NX-01 had a chef and a galley though. Chef looked very much like Jonathan Frakes.

I know I'm wrong and that someone will correct me. Please feel free.
Old September 3 2008, 02:51 PM   #4
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

You are wrong. There is a drink machine. The food behind the sliding doors was prepared by chef. The food is made with protein resequencers, the precursers to food synthesizers in TOS, but they didn't "magically appear" at all.
Old September 3 2008, 03:02 PM   #5
T'Cal
Commodore

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
...We all know Archer's Enterprise NX-01 had a chef and a galley though. Chef looked very much like Jonathan Frakes....
I didn't see that at all. Frakes is older with less hair that is graying.
Old September 3 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
T'Cal
Commodore

...oh, and if after this film some phone company doesn't make a cellphone that looks just like the communicator, someone's going to be sorry!! I want it with direct connect and everything!!
Old September 3 2008, 05:49 PM   #7
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

"It's one thing in 'Star Trek' to get all excited and freak out about communicators, but to them, it's like it's the new iPhone,"
I've owned an iPhone since the beginning and I am still all excited and freaking out about it.
Old September 4 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Procutus
Admiral

^

I don't own an iPhone, but I'm all psyched about seeing a communicator!

Old September 5 2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Does Uhura has the piece in her
So wrong...
Old September 6 2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

Flukie wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
Does Uhura has the piece in her
So wrong...

That does create some pretty bizarre images, doesn't it?

Old September 13 2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Can't Uhura engage in a little self pleasure?